Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 07:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times

Advertisements

Any stick out! I think the big indicator is when a criminal who isn’t particularly cunning is able to commit the same crime repeatedly over an extended period of time.

Robert Pickton and the Vancouver PD is one I’ve been revisiting that seems to fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 06:29 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,654 times
Boulder, Colorado...
Not separating the parents to get statements.
Allowing friends into the crime scene.
The Boulder police did not take control like they should have.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:40 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Boulder, Colorado...
Not separating the parents to get statements.
Allowing friends into the crime scene.
The Boulder police did not take control like they should have.
The Boulder police's screw up of that scene was unforgivable!!! Cost that poor little girl any form of justice! Just compare to how Adam Walsh and his wife were treated in Florida ! Immediately treated as suspects (which is the correct course of action),even though it turned out to be a stranger abduction in the end! Etan Patz in NYC also a stranger abduction they immediately separated the parents...and in both cases the parents cooperated fully and were ruled out...they didn't lawyer up! I watch a lot of unsolved mysteries from years back and it's shocking how many LEO back in the day would be so dismissive of parents reporting their kids missing!!! Luckily that has changed!

Old 03-13-2023, 12:05 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Allow me to nominate one. Richland County, SC.

I've discussed this case before.. I was involved in it.. Woman had been missing for over 20 years.. I found a grave at the Richland County "Potters Field" that.. Everything added up on, but the name was spelled differently. Grave was marked Reeves, name was Reaves.

Over 8 years Richland County had the missing persons case.. Couldn't find her. took me.. Reality, 15 minutes.

I provided the info to the family, family provided it to the investigator.. Investigator contacted coroner.. They matched it up.

But.. Sitting there under their nose for years. Couldn't find her due to a mis-spelled name and one digit being wrong on the SSN they had for her.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:21 AM

Can you link to where you had discussed this case previously?

Old 03-14-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Can you link to where you had discussed this case previously?

I'll bring it up here and there when something applies. I thought I had done an entire topic of it at one point, but can't find it.

Long story short.. This case.

https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com...ves_Richardson

There's also the FB page on the case that has everything before and as it was being solved.

https://www.facebook.com/Finding.Lori.Jane

Old 03-14-2023, 05:37 PM

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know if I would have thought to search a different spelling.
Excellent work on your part.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say I don't know if I would have thought to search a different spelling.
Excellent work on your part.

On that name? Was just a no-brainer for me. And, if you want total honesty.. I certainly in my initial searches was using Reeves because that's how *I* would spell it.

When I found her.. I did INTENTIONALLY spell the name Reeves. But.. There were a few searches before that where I searched for Reeves accidentally. And.. While you say you wouldn't have thought of that.. If you had misspelled it yourself 3 or 4 times.. I do think you would have, like I did, pick up on that.. "Hmm.. Maybe I should try it this way..".. So.. saying you wouldn't have.. I'll say.. You probably would have.. *IF* the 'natural' spelling of Reeves for you is like that. If you think of the name Reeves and immediately think "Reaves".. Ok.. Well.. it might have gotten by you. But.. For me, the natural is Reeves, and.. Seems to me it'd be that way for most/many people.

At the end, the thought process was as simple as.. if *I* screw it up.. If it's being told to someone.. Good bet THEY might screw it up.

The lucky part of that is the findagrave user who did that cemetery.. I've said all along, they solved this case. I just did the simple math to put 1 and 1 together. And I spoke with them about it a bit. They were like waiting on their husband who was working nearby, so they just popped over and logged a few graves at that cemetery. Lori's being one of them.

Further.. The fact that the cemetery is fenced in, well taken care of, AND the coroner for Richland, or the funeral home or someone put the temporary markers in place. That's VERY rare. Here in Laurens county where I live, there is a "Boot Hill" or "Pauper Cemetery" or "Potters Field" or whatever term you want to use for what's basically the cemetery where they bury unclaimed bodies.

Everything coming together was a perfect storm(In a good way). It's.. Pretty amazing that all the information was there for me.

But.. I do hold anger towards the sheriff's office, because it's unacceptable to me that I solved it. Never should have made it that far. THEY should have done the searches on their data as I did. I didn't do anything special, just thought SLIGHTLY outside the box.

All that being said.. Really cool from my side. Being careful to be respectful to the family. They're good folks, and I keep in touch with them. Usually just brief messages checking in every year around the 4th of July, which is when all this happened. Would have been REALLY cool if Robert Stack was still alive to voice the Unsolved Mysteries youtube video update. I *MIGHT* have pushed to have the update include my name if he was still alive just to hear him say my name.

All we got on the update was this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQFRpyyTXQ

And, this is the original video they did. I didn't learn about the case from here, but did watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMnEbrQtOjw&t=3s

Last I heard. Her kids.. Who.. To my understanding had mixed reactions to the discovery.. Which is understandable.. They had 20 someodd years of not hearing from her and not knowing and.. Did she just abandon us? Can't really imagine their emotions on it, but totally get them being.. Varied... Anyway, the kids were thinking about having her disinterred to have the ashes returned to them so that they could.. Either place her with her parents or keep the remains.. Not sure what their exact plans were, but, they wanted to 'bring her home' in one form or another.. But it was.. There's a cost to that., not.. Horrendously bad or anything. I told Debbie that she should start a GoFundMe.. I'd post it here and over on the Unsolved Mysteries site on sitcomsonline.com and I figured that we'd probably get enough people kicking in a few bucks to cover it.. But.. I wasn't going to take the lead on that. I think it was only like $1500 or $2500 to have her disinterred and returned to them. But.. Anyway.. not my place to push that. So, I just left it that if they did a gofundme, let me know and I'd help spread the word.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:38 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Allow me to nominate one. Richland County, SC.

I've discussed this case before.. I was involved in it.. Woman had been missing for over 20 years.. I found a grave at the Richland County "Potters Field" that.. Everything added up on, but the name was spelled differently. Grave was marked Reeves, name was Reaves.

Over 8 years Richland County had the missing persons case.. Couldn't find her. took me.. Reality, 15 minutes.

I provided the info to the family, family provided it to the investigator.. Investigator contacted coroner.. They matched it up.

But.. Sitting there under their nose for years. Couldn't find her due to a mis-spelled name and one digit being wrong on the SSN they had for her.
Excellent sleuthing, Labonte. Lori's family must be very grateful someone took the time to further the search for her. Police often get overwhelmed with newer cases, the older ones slide to the end of the line. It's not right but it does happen.

Great job doing that.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Any stick out! I think the big indicator is when a criminal who isn’t particularly cunning is able to commit the same crime repeatedly over an extended period of time.

Robert Pickton and the Vancouver PD is one I’ve been revisiting that seems to fit the bill.
Actually it was the VPD and the RCMP. Pickton lived and had his farm in Coquitlam, a separate jurisdiction from Vancouver. They use the RCMP as their city police force.

Both got criticized in the review.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lice-1.1191108
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime