Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 08:26 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times

Advertisements

By DNA Testing similar to the Golden State Killer. They narrowed it down to 3 Brothers then took gabage from the street of the one they suspected many years ago.

This was a huge case in Texas many years ago and has never been resolved until now.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/cr...b-b03c7a1baca4

Quote:
Walker was kidnapped February 17, 1974 after she had been out with her boyfriend at a Valentine's dance at Western Hills High School. After the dance, she and her boyfriend were at the parking lot of the Ridglea Bowling Alley when a man opened the passenger door and pulled her out, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

The man told the boyfriend, "I am going to kill you," pistol-whipped him and he passed out, the affidavit said. Carla disappeared. Her body was found in a culvert two days later near Benbrook Lake.

Glen Samuel McCurley, 77, was arrested on Monday on a capital murder charge. He remains in custody in lieu of a $100,000 bail, according to jail records.
Quote:
"We had taken his case as far as they could with current technology and what evidence we had at the time," Detective Jeff Bennett said.

The detectives were able to use a more complete DNA profile from a DNA genealogy company. Detectives also obtained DNA from McCurley’s trash in July 2020, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

The trash items were sent to be tested and detectives learned on Sept. 4 that it matched the male DNA profile that was found on Carla’s clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 12:26 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
That is impressive! Odd that DNA identification is connected with prayer.

Wasn't one of the big genealogy sites purchased by law enforcement, giving people an opportunity to opt out? I suppose that even though some people opted out, their genealogical map was still intact. Good to know that DNA genealogy is solving 40 year old crimes.

Is it odd that he did just one crime of knocking out a man and kidnapping his female friend? I'm surprised that there are no other murder victims connected with him. Perhaps other 1970s murdered women have not had the same modern DNA and genealogical analysis?

Old 09-23-2020, 03:44 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
I'm semi imbalanced on saying he is 100% guilty. Perhaps they have other pieces of data that have yet to be shared to conclude he is the man.

Touching the weapon or owning it may lean towards being the culprit ....yet I've seen cases where the actually shooter was not the registered owner.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:06 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I'm semi imbalanced on saying he is 100% guilty. Perhaps they have other pieces of data that have yet to be shared to conclude he is the man.

Touching the weapon or owning it may lean towards being the culprit ....yet I've seen cases where the actually shooter was not the registered owner.
His DNA was on the victim's clothing.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:44 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes on her Bra. They just have recently had the technology to put together the profile.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/fort-w...f-carla-walker

Quote:
While working on the cold case, detectives ran DNA evidence found on Walker’s bra and clothing through multiple databases.

McCurley’s name came up when the DNA was compared to a genealogical database. Three brothers with the surname McCurley were possible matches, the arrest warrant affidavit states.

“DNA has been around since the mid-80s but there are continual advances in how they attempt to find that DNA and also how they extract that DNA,” said Det. Leah Wagner, Fort Worth Police Dept. “So it was these newer processes that enabled us to get a profile.”

Investigators did interview McCurley in 1974 because he lived in the area and records showed he owned the same type of gun that was used in the crime. But at the time, he claimed the gun had been stolen. He owned a 22-caliber Ruger, matching the type of magazine that the attacker dropped at the scene of the abduction. But at the time, technology wasn’t advanced enough to link him to the crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TsXdmfIwSo

Old 09-23-2020, 08:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
It does seem a little unbelievable that he committed this one incredibly brazen act of kidnapping/homicide and hasn't harmed anyone else.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:51 PM

26,744 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
By DNA Testing similar to the Golden State Killer.
It's great to hear that this crime has been solved. I can't figure out why this same method can't be used to find the JonBenet Ramsey killer.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:42 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's great to hear that this crime has been solved. I can't figure out why this same method can't be used to find the JonBenet Ramsey killer.
Or maybe even the Zodiac Killer.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:33 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
okay, so that was the other pieces of evidence. Thanks for clarifying!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:22 PM

928 posts, read 970,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It does seem a little unbelievable that he committed this one incredibly brazen act of kidnapping/homicide and hasn't harmed anyone else.
I totally agree with that I bet he's done several.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime