Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 PM

21 posts, read 42,073 times

Advertisements

I think political ballots need to be "dumbed" down in laymans terms so the general public can understand them. For example, this is how I see it:

Prop 106: Proposition 106 would amend the Arizona Constitution by barring any rules or regulations that would force state residents to participate in a health-care system. The proposed amendment would also ensure that individuals would have the right to pay for private health insurance.

Laymans terms: a "yes" vote is to have AZ residents in charge of their own healthcare. i.e. NO to Obamacare.

How I see Prop 404: A yes vote would increase my property taxes for the growing number of students (I heard that any tucson student can go to whatever school district they want and a Yes vote would keep Vail school district in Vail). A No vote would end overide funding, we would have overcrowding schools, the quality of student graduation would drop over time. Somebody let me know if I'm correct in my political education.

My opinion, 9.1 and 9.6% taxes are frackin high enough. Sorry Vail Students but, I cant keep supporting you from my pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider View Post
I think political ballots need to be "dumbed" down in laymans terms so the general public can understand them.
There are such interpretations available in the pamphlets. All the legal language eventually ends up with a summary of this nature. I have an easier time with the props (I'll never understand the land issues, though) than having to decide which liar is the lesser evil.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,510 times
Default Your correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I know. It's getting to be outrageous! And what do you get in return? A big, fat, nothing! Yesterday I came back from a little road trip in Northeastern AZ. You should see the roads there! We can only dream of them! Granted, a lot of it was reservation land, so I don't know how road maintenance is funded there...

Well, if you know there are always available pockets to raid (read: sheeple voting FOR these props), why wouldn't you spend like a drunk sailor...?! I know I would! I don't care for national elections anymore, but I make damn sure I vote on the props!
Please, no on 404. I've been out in Vail for 15 years. Once there was a surplus, now its give me give me every year. They already receive over half my prop tax - no more!

Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Kind of close, but we won!

PROPOSITION 404 PIMA COUNTY VAIL SCHOOL BUDGET

16 of 16 precincts reporting (100%) Vail School Budget Increase

NO 8,203 52%
YES 7,578 48%

KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona August 2010 Primary Election Results (http://www.kvoa.com/election-results/ - broken link)

I'm pleased with the outcome of the props I cared about. My opinions rarely align with the majority's opinion, but it seems like we agreed on the fiscal matters this time.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM

38 posts, read 149,420 times
Quote:
Great speech. I get tired of all the politicians coming to us for more of our tax dollars when they mis-manage with what they already receive. Look at the sales tax...it's what 9.1% That's unacceptable in my opinion. Property taxes out here in Vail are through the roof and what do we have to show for it?? 2 High Schools and nothing else! The whole Vail school district area (Vail, Corona and Rita Ranch) needs a hospital. If my wife gets bit by a snake out in Vail, the nearest hospital is St Josephs....in the middle of Tucson and Corona de Tucson is even further away than Vail!
Agreed with both

Gotta plug the hole in the bucket before you fill it back up with water..

Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Great speech. I get tired of all the politicians coming to us for more of our tax dollars when they mis-manage with what they already receive. Look at the sales tax...it's what 9.1% That's unacceptable in my opinion.
I can't believe they had the audacity to even put 400 on the ballot! What were they thinking?!

Here's a cool thought I read today:

Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it would run out of sand.

writer Peggy Noonan

Old 11-07-2010, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,976 times
Did anyone here realize that the Governor will cut schools first? That is the first thing the government cuts. Arizona is 50th in the nation for school spending. Are we trying to go for last in the whole world? Marana passed its budget override with a resounding yes! A demographic that one might say is not as wealthy as those in the Vail area. Vail schools budgets are ridiculously low, but then again you would know that if you had done your homework on the issue. With the property values going down, so are your property taxes, so, the 50-100 bucks a year would most likely have been a wash. How about some pride in an excelling school system? I, for one, am ashamed at the voters of the vail school district. Yes, this is indeed something to be proud of. Defeating the measure by 230 votes. Now you get to see crime go up in our fair south east area. While Arizona is last in school spending, its first in Prison spending.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vailgoalkeeper View Post
Now you get to see crime go up in our fair south east area.
Could you please explain what does 404 have to do with crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson