Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,352,058 times

Advertisements

Just when did Arizonans get into Slacker Lingo? What happened to good ol' Arizona "Howdy, pardnuh"?

At another time in Arizona, not so long ago, we used to speak just a little differently here. Today it seems that we have a new way of speaking. I’ve dubbed it “Slacker Lingo”. Where exactly did it come from, and when did it begin? I’ve gathered a few examples for this thread. Maybe you’ll think of even more!

In what now seems like another era, when welcoming people into a restaurant, the host or hostess would usually greet something like this: “Welcome, folks”! Now its: “Hi, guys!” And instead of, “Come back soon, folks”, now its “Bye, guys!” or “Thanks, guys!”

Also, we rarely hear “You’re welcome” after a thank you any more. Now we hear “No problem”!

Lately, I've also been hearing "No worries" as a response.

And then this one came from who-knows-where: Ending with “NO”, instead of NOT, such as: Are we ready to go, or “NO”? When did “NOT” get thrown out?

It used to be “It happened by accident”, and now its “It happened ON accident”! My guess is that they remembered “on purpose”, then applied the word “on” to accident as well?

In order to describe a lot of something, it used to be plenty, or scads, or bunches, or much… Now the word which is used in nearly every occasion except for its originally intended purpose (weight), is TON, or TONS.

Is it just me, or have you noticed that today the word ACTUALLY appears in just about every sentence, whether its needed or not?

Have you also noticed that today the word ANNOYING will find its way into a sentence as well?

I won’t even need to go into the word “LIKE”, as that word has been around since the Maynard G Krebbs beatnik era! However, I will say that the word “like” has taken on an accelerated use. Now the word appears several times per sentence, if not several times per breath.

You know... I just realized that the ones who always talk like this may not even know they’re doing it! So, what’s the deal with this “Slacker Lingo”? WHO or WHAT do we blame – the Californians? El Nino? Global warming? Illegal immigrants? Big oil? Lazy teachers? Liberal professors? Laid-back, devil-may-care American culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 06:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Just when did Arizonans get into Slacker Lingo? What happened to good ol' Arizona "Howdy, pardnuh"?
I'd imagine right after people started "graduating college"... One would think after you've been to college you'd know you graduated FROM college... I'm a lil' anal about this because I'm not a native speaker.

I'm surprised by your examples, though. It's not Texas here and I'm not particularly fond of the Texan talk myself. Other than that, people move from all over the country, so changes are to be expected. Some of the phrases in your post I associate with "cool youngsters"... However, when we start whining about them it means we're getting old, so we better stop...

Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd imagine right after people started "graduating college"... One would think after you've been to college you'd know you graduated FROM college... I'm a lil' anal about this because I'm not a native speaker.

I'm surprised by your examples, though. It's not Texas here and I'm not particularly fond of the Texan talk myself. Other than that, people move from all over the country, so changes are to be expected. Some of the phrases in your post I associate with "cool youngsters"... However, when we start whining about them it means we're getting old, so we better stop...

.....:::::SIGH:::::.....

You know, Sierra... when you're right, you're right!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 PM

602 posts, read 2,065,095 times
No worries, mate. Let's just speak Latin. It's static. Static is good.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
No worries, mate. Let's just speak Latin. It's static. Static is good.
Or...

花花公子,拉丁是可接受的这里在这美国。 感到自由周期性地击中我与某些拉丁! -小马人

Old 08-17-2008, 10:34 PM

Calm down, folks, and better go study some Spanish 'cause soon we may not be able to get along in any English anyway...

Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Calm down, folks, and better go study some Spanish 'cause soon we may not be able to get along in any English anyway...

http://th226.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/mocat_album/smilies/th_connie_mexican.gif (broken link) Español? Si!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
http://th226.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/mocat_album/smilies/th_connie_mexican.gif (broken link) Español? Si!
Cute icon! Good thing it's early in the morning - otherwise I'd want a margarita!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM

474 posts, read 1,067,373 times
sierraAZ-How did you get "Texas talk" out of those examples?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
sierraAZ-How did you get "Texas talk" out of those examples?
What's "howdy"...? Granted, “folks” sounds more hillbillish than anything else, but it's still up there with "howdy" as far as being appealing to my ears...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: