Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM

14 posts, read 74,316 times

Advertisements

I think I did last night. I was sitting on my patio and saw something wink on and off a couple of times above my lawn. I went inside to get a flashlight to have a look and when I came back I could not find anything. I have seen them before in Illinois and North Carolina, but not here. Do we have lightnin' bugs here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 12:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
I think I did last night. I was sitting on my patio and saw something wink on and off a couple of times above my lawn. I went inside to get a flashlight to have a look and when I came back I could not find anything. I have seen them before in Illinois and North Carolina, but not here. Do we have lightnin' bugs here?
Hey, Bartender, I want whatever Rrgone is drinking! Hehehe!

All joking aside, having lived here for ten years and frequently spend many evening hours on my patio . . . I have never seen one lightning bug.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Well it was a rather inexpensive chardonnay... But still, I'm pretty convinced I saw a bug that could light up it's butt.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Well it was a rather inexpensive chardonnay... But still, I'm pretty convinced I saw a bug that could light up it's butt.
Once I claimed you can't see something in Tucson (don't recall what) and somebody had seen it... Who knows...

Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
I never saw a lightning bug in Tucson, unfortunately. I lived there almost 8 years. Gorgeous, gorgeous sunsets and beautiful desertscapes...a beautiful area.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 PM

170 posts, read 476,654 times
Well I did a google search on lightning bugs and they ain't here! They tend to be on the eastern part of the US. Places with more humidity and water. So I think you were seeing things!!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyR View Post
Well I did a google search on lightning bugs and they ain't here! They tend to be on the eastern part of the US. Places with more humidity and water. So I think you were seeing things!!
LOL @ Chrissy

As I posted earlier . . . I want whatever RRGone is drinking.

Other than during the monsoons, we sit on my front patio almost every evening and I have never seen a Firefly and/or Lightning Bug. ! ! ! !

Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Never say never!

I asked the Entomology Department at the UA and was told that indeed we do have fireflies in the Sonoran Desert. The population here is not large and is not active very long during the year. They are more commonly found along the Santa Cruz, and, the Entomology Dept is working with the Desert Museum trying to get some established out there.

Cool huh!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Never say never!

I asked the Entomology Department at the UA and was told that indeed we do have fireflies in the Sonoran Desert. The population here is not large and is not active very long during the year. They are more commonly found along the Santa Cruz, and, the Entomology Dept is working with the Desert Museum trying to get some established out there.

Cool huh!
Good news, Rrgone

It will definitely make the many Lizards that live on my patio very happy!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good news, Rrgone

It will definitely make the many Lizards that live on my patio very happy!

The lizards are pretty scarce after dark at my place. But the bats are having a field day out there! I was just watching a Mexican Long Nose Bat raid the hummingbird feeder. Amazing acrobatics.

ps: a better chardonnay tonight too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: