Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 PM

72 posts, read 192,132 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I understand from reading this forum that Tucson is a very good town for road biking, but what about mountain biking? What is that like in the Tucson area? Also, my son loves to skateboard. Are there any good skateboard parks around Tucson?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 PM

351 posts, read 975,548 times
Skateboard parks in AZ: Concrete Disciples Skateboarding - Skatepark Directory & Listings for: Arizona, United States

There are a LOT of undeveloped trails that go through the Santa Catalina, Rincon, and Santa Rita mountains. Many are VERY rocky. If you're sticking to major dirt roads, be wary of off-road vehicle traffic. See: Tucson & Southern Arizona Mountain Biking - Mountain Bike Trails

Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM

40 posts, read 120,314 times
There are two very nice mountain-bike trail systems on the west side: Sweetwater Preserve at the end of Tortolita Road, off Camino del Cerro, and the Richard Genser Starr Pass network near the Marriott resort. SP attracts horseback riders, and both are popular with hikers/runners. (I always give bikers and horses the right-of-way, of course.) The trails can get a little rocky but there's not much elevation to deal with. Also, google Fantasy Island on the east side. I believe those trails are suitable for beginners.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM

476 posts, read 1,677,075 times
Default Skateboarding

That is a good link for skateboarding, but I think that Purple Heart & Rita Ranch parks are one & the same. My son has skated a couple of times at the YMCA park - on the east side. It is not convenient for us, but it is pretty good - all concrete bowls, no ramps, big drop ins or flat areas for tricks which is what my son prefers, but generally good skating. They keep riff-raff out since you have to have a membership or buy a skate pass and there is a Y employee there at all times.

It is lit at night which is when a lot of them skate during the summer since during the day in direct sunlight (no shade on the bowls) you may otherwise spontanesously burst into flames!

My son can't even skate in our driveway or n'hood street since it is really rough asphalt, so keep that in mind when looking at renting or buying if skating is a priority for him. I do see kids skating in vacant parking lots, but generally it is not permitted in most public areas.

Hope that helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson