Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 PM

204 posts, read 388,936 times

Advertisements

One of my biggest annoyances with Albuquerque is the wind. It usually starts up around March and doesn't stop until June. How is the wind in Tucson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
typically, Tucson is not a windy city....however, a hot, dry wind is now blowing and is forecast thru the weekend....wind does happen here and can last a couple days, but it's not common....

are you sure ABQ is consistently windy from March thru June??....don't know how different Tucson is from ABQ, wind-wise

Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 PM

351 posts, read 975,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
One of my biggest annoyances with Albuquerque is the wind. It usually starts up around March and doesn't stop until June. How is the wind in Tucson?
Tucson is one of the windier cities I've lived in... It's similar to El Paso (my hometown), which I'd imagine is pretty similar to Albequerque. I've also lived in Dallas, Houston, Idaho Falls, Orlando, and Phoenix (Chandler). All of those cities aren't as windy as Tucson.

I guess it's all relative. I currently live at a higher elevation (Green Valley), which tends to be a bit windier than downtown Tucson, but not by much.

Just FYI, here are statistics for anual wind speed averages. According to the stats, Tucson is a little less windy in the spring time, but not by much.

Month________JAN__FEB__MAR__APR__MAY__JUN__JUL__ AUG__SEP__OCT__NOV__DEC
Albuquerque__8.0__8.8__9.9_10.7_10.5__9.8__8.9__ 8.1__8.4__8.2__7.9__7.6
Tucson_______7.9__8.1__8.6__8.9__8.8__8.7__8.4__ 7.9__8.3__8.2__8.1__7.8

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...d/avgwind.html

Last edited by vjsoto; 06-16-2011 at 08:11 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 12:52 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
I came from the Colorado Springs area, and that place is WINDY!! We may have a couple of days here and there in Tucson that are windy, but nothing like COS where it's windy all the time--trash toter blowing away, patio furniutre flipped over, gas grills tossed around--windy. COS is awful for allergies with all the dust and pollen blowing around!

Last edited by Marcy1210; 06-18-2011 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: Clarity and cohesion

Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 AM

101 posts, read 247,764 times
I can not say how windy it is in the actual city limits of Tucson but I have lived in the NW area and i'm now in Corona and I can tell you that every freakin day it's windy.

It's like Florida, they get rain everyday...we get wind everyday.

When we were in the NW we would constantly have to stand up our basketball hoop stand (yes, it was filled with water), the trampoline we had in the back even got blown over the 6 ft wall and landed in our neighbors yard once. There were many weeks I would have to wait and listen for the garbage trucks and then take the can(s) out, otherwise i'd be chasing trash down the street.

Here in Corona it usually starts off a nice calm day but by mid morning early afternoon it picks up and sometimes it blows so hard my dogs don't even want to be out in it.

Good Luck to you.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM

67 posts, read 224,291 times
I live in Catalina and it is constantly windy up here. Friends from Tucson are surprised when they visit.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I came from the Colorado Springs area, and that place is WINDY!! We may have a couple of days here and there in Tucson that are windy, but nothing like COS where it's windy all the time--trash toter blowing away, patio furniutre flipped over, gas grills tossed around--windy. COS is awful for allergies with all the dust and pollen blowing around!
I live in the NW suburb of Tucson and all of those things you describe have happened at my house. I even came home from work one day to find a five-foot-tall wooden hutch that I kept on my covered patio to store gardening equipment lying flat in the back yard with one of the doors torn off. I have to pick up turned over plant pots all the time and I have found mail from as much as two blocks away blown into my yard.

My mother is an artist and she painted a large picture specifically to hang on my covered patio. After it was blown off the wall innumerable times, I had it bolted to the house. It still banged against the wall so badly that we had to remove it because the noise was very annoying.

As for the allergies, I don't see how it would be any different here. I have burning, watery eyes and sore throat off and on all twelve months a year. I've lived all over the country from Washington, DC, to Washington State and the dust in my house in Tucson exceeds anyplace I've lived to date. I always advise people against getting dark wood floors or cabinets here since they are difficult to keep clean as surfaces are always covered with dust. I also have the ductwork professionally cleaned yearly to mitigate dust.

At least several times a year, the dust blowing on I10 between Phoenix and Tucson becomes so extreme that the road is either closed and/or there are numerous accidents, even fatalities, due to lack of visibility.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 PM

67 posts, read 224,291 times
Just a year or two back...wasn't there a huge pileup on I-10 at Casa Grande due to wind/dust? I remember it making the national news.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
[quote=Jukesgrrl;19707162]I've lived all over the country from Washington, DC, to Washington State and the dust in my house in Tucson exceeds anyplace I've lived to date. I always advise people against getting dark wood floors or cabinets here since they are difficult to keep clean as surfaces are always covered with dust. I also have the ductwork professionally cleaned yearly to mitigate dust.

quote]

Where were you when I was buying furniture??? Naturally, I went with a mahogany finish...

Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 AM

444 posts, read 1,351,676 times
Tucson's windiness is partially dependent on where exactly you're living and the time of year. The people in the northwest who describe lots of wind live in the middle of a flat plain along the Santa Cruz River. Anywhere flat is going to be windier. When you get right up against the mountains, you won't get as much wind unless you're exposed (e.g. - have a nice view). The canyons are generally quiet.

But it's always windier when it's hot. This time of year is bad for it. If you want to do anything outdoors, you have to do it before about 10am, not only because of the heat, but also because it gets very, very windy.

It isn't as bad as the Front Range though, no. Probably about the same as Albuquerque though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson