Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 15,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappahana View Post
Why do you think a lot homes are for sale in Rancho! Is it a nice area?
I live in Rancho Del Lago and the reason for all the for sale signs is simple. During the boom many of these homes were bought as either second homes or as investments by speculators. It wasn't unusual for speculators to buy 4 homes apiece in a subdivison when it first opened up.

When we bought our home in 2004, the builders were getting nervous about the effect speculators would have on the area and our builder was looking to prevent anyone from buying more than one home in our part of the development. Unfortunately the development as a whole did not do this...

I am sure the maturity of Adjustable Rate Mortgages has a lot to do with the for sale signs too. I think a lot of people bought their homes with ARMs out here.

As for whether this is a nice area I will say absolutely. It is quiet and there is little to no crime. The school district is one of the few in the Tucson Metro that is worth a darn. Vail has a great farmers market too. The sky is dark enough out here that you can see the stars so much better than anywhere I have lived before. We have a few restaurants now and a Walgreens. We are finally getting some conveniences out here!

Last edited by lancecreed; 02-14-2009 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Adding more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 12:46 PM

104 posts, read 319,549 times
We live in Vail. There is one stop light, a Walgreens and not much else but we love it. It is at least 15 mins driving to a grocery store and the only restaurants are Nico's (good tacos), Dairy Queen (desserts only), the Hacienda Del Lago restaurant (awesome food), and Montgomery's (good burgers).

It's 'out there' and there is really no infrastructure but you can find excellent deals right now on houses with bigger lots than in Tucson. Again, we love it. We have a lot with no one across the street... it's a common area... and a wash behind us. On a cul-de-sac road and with good neighbors.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM

104 posts, read 319,549 times
Oh there is also that Cione's place... pretty nice owner. And we cannot get pizza hut or papa john's to deliver to us. We are one street too far out apparently.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
Hi biglouie, My son-in-law and daughter live in carona and I love going out there especiallyin the evenings it's so quiet and you're comments about the good vehicle is right on the point! and the longer you live out there ( or visit ) as I do the shorter the drive seems and oh so worth the trip!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 AM

38 posts, read 91,584 times
Home prices tend to be more expensive in Vail because of the school district. It is one of the top in the state, and one of the few that meet the "Excelling" standard for Arizona. Vail is no longer a one gas station shop.

Technically, IBM and Raytheon are in "Vail" (Rita Ranch). People usually refer to Vail as the area east of Houghton, North to 22nd, South all the way to about Sahuarita Rd. and East all the way to Marsh Station Rd. That is a 10 mile radius with more than 12,000 people living there now (maybe even more?)

Off I-10 north on Colossal Cave Rd. is a QuikMart, Dairy Queen, Quiznos, Montgomery's Steak House, Dentist, a tax place, hair salon and day spa, and some other small businesses. Up the road where it splits to Mary Ann Cleveland/Colossal Cave, there is a Walgreen's. North of that on Old Spanish Trail there is the Rincon Farmer's Market, a small convience store, and then it takes you back into Tucson (7 miles) to Old Spanish Trail/Harrison with Target Greatland, Ross, Bed Bath and Beyond, another Walgreens, Payless Shoes, Peter Piper Pizza, Pier 1, etc. etc. etc. Yes, Passages is still supposed to be coming out there, but it is going to be a while.

South of I-10 is a little more sparse, with an Ace Hardware and a small country store. But 10 miles out in Vail is not like 10 miles in city traffic! Thank Goodness!

Right off Houghton is Rita Ranch and the entire shopping district of grocery stores, banks, etc.

Vail School District covers all of these areas and has about 8 or 9 elementary schools, 3 high schools with one more opening soon, and 3 middle schools (I think?)

Old 12-22-2009, 04:27 PM

65 posts, read 222,835 times
One note--Vail school district only covers east of Houghton up to Irvington, not 22nd. We live east of Houghton and used to live just north of where we live now, but still south of Escalante, and we were in TUSD. We moved about a mile as the crow flies to get into VUSD. Part of our old neighborhood, the far east part, was in Tanque Verde.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW25 View Post
One note--Vail school district only covers east of Houghton up to Irvington, not 22nd. We live east of Houghton and used to live just north of where we live now, but still south of Escalante, and we were in TUSD. We moved about a mile as the crow flies to get into VUSD. Part of our old neighborhood, the far east part, was in Tanque Verde.
It must've been some time ago perhaps... Vail does allow open enrollment, as do all districts now, I believe... It's unfortunate because one of main reasons I bought a house in this area was Vail school district even though I don't have children.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,101 times
I moved here from Long Island NY 6 months ago. I like it- it's open, clean, houses are kept up nice.The lots are bigger than the ave. Tucson lot. My college age kids think it's the boonies, but there is a lot of building going on in Rita Ranch, and the expansion will continue. The schools have a great reputation, and the people are friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson