Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena and mike View Post
I love lizards, really do wish we would have more in our yard but we have a wall up around the house, guess it keeps most out.
Lizards are excellent climbers. A wall won't keep them out. Ours climb up the walls of the house and scurry down. If they want to come in your yard, they will.

Tarantula hawks are awful. I've read that their sting is one of the most painful things a human can endure.

From Wikipedia:

"The tarantula hawk is relatively docile and rarely stings without provocation. However the sting, particularly of Pepsis formosa, is among the most painful of any insect, though the intense pain only lasts for about 3 minutes.[3] Commenting on his own experience, one researcher described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[2] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, second only to that of the bullet ant and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric".[4] Because of their extremely large stingers, very few animals are able to eat them; one of the few animals that can is the roadrunner."

We do have a lot of roadrunners in our neighborhood, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 AM

138 posts, read 269,777 times
I have yet to see a roadrunner. Is there any kind of food we can feed the lizards to get them in our yard? I think that would be the coolest thing.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
I have yet to see a roadrunner. Is there any kind of food we can feed the lizards to get them in our yard? I think that would be the coolest thing.
For some reason its been a quiet year for lizards where I live (about a mile from Oro Valley). I usually have a lot sunning themselves on my yard wall, but they've been fewer this summer. My bug guy was here last week and I asked him about it. He said all the critters are on weird schedules this year -- he thought it was due to the unusual cold spell we had late in March.

I still have my big guy, who seems to live on my patio, but the others haven't appeared as often and seem to be smaller than usual. (I leave him alone, but I'm getting a little sick of cleaning up his poop -- the bigger he gets, the bigger it gets.) I also haven't seen any baby quail -- a first in the five years I've been here. We've even had hatchings in our yard, but nothing this year. Maybe things will change up now that we've had some good rain.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
For some reason its been a quiet year for lizards where I live (about a mile from Oro Valley). I usually have a lot sunning themselves on my yard wall, but they've been fewer this summer. My bug guy was here last week and I asked him about it. He said all the critters are on weird schedules this year -- he thought it was due to the unusual cold spell we had late in March.

I still have my big guy, who seems to live on my patio, but the others haven't appeared as often and seem to be smaller than usual. (I leave him alone, but I'm getting a little sick of cleaning up his poop -- the bigger he gets, the bigger it gets.) I also haven't seen any baby quail -- a first in the five years I've been here. We've even had hatchings in our yard, but nothing this year. Maybe things will change up now that we've had some good rain.
I would love to have them running around. You can drop off your big guy here lol. I do love nature and want more of it in my back yard. We were going to feed the birds but I am afraid that will bring the hawks. We have 2 very small dogs that a hawk would love to eat. I do hope that the wild life will come alive after the rains, I wouldnt even mind the beautiful spiders but mike would. All we have been getting is flying ants and beetles, lol. I can live without them.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM

351 posts, read 975,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Ok, been here 2-3 months and virtually no bugs....Now...wow! First termites or flying ants, now these beetles......these things are all over the place. We can't go outside and enjoy the good nights without being attacked.

The pic doesn't really show the entire picture but I chose this one becasue it shows the beetles the best. There are atleast 50 of these on our patio door, the termites/flying ants were even worse. What is next? Will this seige ever end?
Yup, we had a huge nasty rain storm roll through last weekend and the termites started swarming the day after. Then another big storm came through and killed em all! It's been pretty bugless since then. Just the regular assortment of crickets and spiders. The lizards in my yard seem to be quite gluttonous these days.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:

We have some domestic birds and toss birdfood leftovers out in the back yard that wild birds love to chomp on. We've seen many Quail (and other birds) in our yard because of it. Just three days ago in the early morning we saw a large family (2 "parents" with 5 or 6 little babies) chomping down on some seed. If there is something to eat, they will come. We've also had several roadrunner back there and we get plenty of hummingbirds and other birds too. Between that and all the lizards, it's a little wildlife refuge back there. If I killed off all the bugs, I'm thinking I'd also loose a lot of my visitors.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:35 PM

we were thinking of feeding the birds but I think that will bring the hawks, we have 2 small dogs so dont want to do that. But we will be getting some hummingbird food, use to feed them in NH also. They are so cool. Hey VJsoto can I come and sit out in your back yard? lol.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
we were thinking of feeding the birds but I think that will bring the hawks, we have 2 small dogs so dont want to do that. But we will be getting some hummingbird food, use to feed them in NH also. They are so cool. Hey VJsoto can I come and sit out in your back yard? lol.
I agree, Helena . . . Hummingbirds are fun to watch.

All you need around here is a Hummingbird Feeder plus a bag of Sugar and add water. The "pushy" little buggers do the rest.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
Quote:
I also haven't seen any baby quail -- a first in the five years I've been here. We've even had hatchings in our yard, but nothing this year. Maybe things will change up now that we've had some good rain.
I saw a Quail family~~mom, dad, and 7 babies in June. Then a week or so later, it was 5 babies, then around July 1st, 2 and now I don't see any of them. I asked the guy at Wild Birds Unlimited, where I get my birdseed, and he said the Quail haven't done well this year, but the doves--both Mourning, and the obnoxious White Winged, have been here in greater numbers than he can remember. I've also had more Cardinals this year, as well as Thrashers and Cactus Wrens. Hummers, a ton.

Helena~~hummer food is 4 parts water, 1 part plain, white sugar. The WBU people suggest not using the powdered hummer food or using red food dye as the red makes the egg shells thin, and they break too easily. As long as there's red on the feeder, the hummers will find it. Also, try to get a feeder where the "flowers" aren't yellow. Yellow attracts the bees which can overwhelm the feeders in fall and spring.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Hehe.. my yard isn't that pretty after this last winter, but it looks better after a couple of beers. Yes, you need beer goggles to look at my yard! By the way, hawks generally speaking don't attack other birds. They are usually scavengers or attack lizards and rodents. Putting out bird seed for the wild birds wont attract em. Although if your dogs look like small rodents, then they might be in danger! Actually, the road-runners are pretty curious, and a bit aggressive too. Same thing with hummingbirds, but they hardly pose a threat to anything more than an ant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson