Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I agree, Marcy.

After reading an alert concerning that red stuff (I believe posted by you) I switched from a RED commercial Hummingbird Feeder Product to your 4 to 1 water / sugar recipe. Usually a big klutz in the kitchen but I can handle that one.

The little feisty buggers couldn't be happier and I'm saving a bunch because the feeder seems to need filling at least three or four times a week.

Thanks for the alert.
I usually make batches in cleaned, empty 2 litre soda bottles, then keep the bottles in the fridge, labelled so my son doesn't drink them! That way I always have some on hand. I just pour the cold sugar water into the feeders, and the hummers don't mind. I also wash out the hummer feeders when they're empty with just plain tap water. Sometimes, I'll put a drop or so of vinegar in the water and using a bottle brush, wash out the feeder. I don't use soap because I don't want a residue to get in their feeder solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 AM

138 posts, read 269,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
There are many lizards that are "regulars" in my yard but I'm thinking they have a pretty big feeding area and roam between yards. There is one rather large 12" spiny lizard that has taken up residence under some blocks in my yard. He's been caught lounging on my patio furniture at times in the mornings. I almost sat on him one day! He's very capable of running straight up and over a 5 foot concrete block wall so it's pointless to try and keep em contained.

Hummingbirds are definitely year-round residents. If you are a regular feeder they will start to nest in the trees and eves around your house. We always boil our sugar/water mixture to help prevent the fungus/algae (?) that inevitably starts to grow in the feeders. Just gotta make sure it cools down before you put it in the feeder. We also relocate the feeders several times a year to keep the ants from becoming a problem in one area. I'd estimate that we have ~50 hummers in my area. It's havoc around the feeders some days, especially at dawn and dusk.

But yes... back on topic. Sorry!

that is awesome. I am def going to start feeding them. Never be sorry, we like all in this post. So much good info. Lets keep it going with where ever it may go....

Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 PM

190 posts, read 618,359 times
Ok, now I was joking about feeling under attack and now Helena was attacked by a scorpion.......She has it in prison now though.....maximum security..lol

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 AM

138 posts, read 269,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena and mike View Post
We just moved from NH and are use to those woodland creatures, we are in a totally different world now....but it is beautiful
except for the scorpions, really dislike them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson