Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

TUCSON -- An advocacy group says forest rangers are "intimidating" hikers into paying fees at recreation sites such as Sabino Canyon even though a federal court has blocked such fees.

The Arizona Daily Star reports that Kitty Benzar, president of the Western Slope No Fee Coalition, says rangers are writing "phony tickets" that intimidate visitors.

Read more: Ariz. group calls fees by rangers 'intimidating'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
TUCSON -- An advocacy group says forest rangers are "intimidating" hikers into paying fees at recreation sites such as Sabino Canyon even though a federal court has blocked such fees.

The Arizona Daily Star reports that Kitty Benzar, president of the Western Slope No Fee Coalition, says rangers are writing "phony tickets" that intimidate visitors.

Read more: Ariz. group calls fees by rangers 'intimidating'
Heaven forbid those who are using the park should have to contribute to its upkeep

Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Heaven forbid those who are using the park should have to contribute to its upkeep
I can tell you're a follower. [mod]snip[mod]

Last edited by Kimballette; 05-13-2012 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
What's the controversy? Who employs these forest rangers? If the National Forest is owned by the Federal government, shouldn't all park employees be required to follow the established fee structure, or lack thereof, set by the Feds? If the fees aren't adequate to cover work that needs to be done, the rangers have a beef with the Feds, but shouldn't be acting on their own. Isn't that what's known as "going rogue"? Not right, even if you're wearing a uniform.

Boompa, when you visit the park I'll assume you give them a generous donation.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
What's the controversy? Who employs these forest rangers? If the National Forest is owned by the Federal government, shouldn't all park employees be required to follow the established fee structure, or lack thereof, set by the Feds? If the fees aren't adequate to cover work that needs to be done, the rangers have a beef with the Feds, but shouldn't be acting on their own. Isn't that what's known as "going rogue"? Not right, even if you're wearing a uniform.

Boompa, when you visit the park I'll assume you give them a generous donation.
Certainly will, one thing I can't stand is people who want to soak the taxpayer for their personal use of a taxpayer funded facility.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Honestly this is weird. Don't the rangers get their salary no matter what? Why do they even bother with this? Maybe before they were just pocketing all the cash?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Honestly this is weird. Don't the rangers get their salary no matter what? Why do they even bother with this? Maybe before they were just pocketing all the cash?
I'm getting the idea that we are only getting part of this story. The Rangers wouldn't be doing this without some authority to do so.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I could not agree more, Boompa!

Since when should everything be FREE or at the expense of the taxpayers and paying for a service or benefit is considered WRONG or IMMORAL?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,007 times
Calling it a "park" is the problem: it's national forest land which is open and accessible to all, without a fee, by federal law, just as BLM land is. They get around it by declaring certain areas "high impact" but can't legally require a fee for access to the national forest hiking trails and undeveloped camping sites. Only the "improvements" like toilets, parking lots, picnic areas, viewpoints, etc. can have a fee attached to them. So you get into this whole "I go to hike and don't use those" but the likelihood that that's actually true is slim to nil. I can relate to that libertarian side of it but I think the feds unwillingness to properly fund public lands has left it to the visitor to make up the difference.

What irks me is what I came across in Salt Lake City, where they refused to take my federal lands pass in lieu of the fee because it was some sort of county-managed national forest site, so you paid Salt Lake County for access to the land, which I couldn't understand the legality of. Contrast that with Sabino Canyon, Madera Canyon, the Red Rock Pass areas in Sedona, as well as the other national forest fee areas which do all accept the federal lands pass in lieu of the access fee.

Personally, I think they should bring back the weird toll booth they had on Catalina Highway. If the Sorrensons from Moose Lake want to pay for my nice, free trailhead parking at Pima Canyon so they can spend five seconds at a viewpoint then get overpriced fudge at Summerhaven, then why not let them?

This is just such a mess.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
Calling it a "park" is the problem: it's national forest land which is open and accessible to all, without a fee, by federal law, just as BLM land is. They get around it by declaring certain areas "high impact" but can't legally require a fee for access to the national forest hiking trails and undeveloped camping sites. Only the "improvements" like toilets, parking lots, picnic areas, viewpoints, etc. can have a fee attached to them. So you get into this whole "I go to hike and don't use those" but the likelihood that that's actually true is slim to nil. I can relate to that libertarian side of it but I think the feds unwillingness to properly fund public lands has left it to the visitor to make up the difference.

What irks me is what I came across in Salt Lake City, where they refused to take my federal lands pass in lieu of the fee because it was some sort of county-managed national forest site, so you paid Salt Lake County for access to the land, which I couldn't understand the legality of. Contrast that with Sabino Canyon, Madera Canyon, the Red Rock Pass areas in Sedona, as well as the other national forest fee areas which do all accept the federal lands pass in lieu of the access fee.

Personally, I think they should bring back the weird toll booth they had on Catalina Highway. If the Sorrensons from Moose Lake want to pay for my nice, free trailhead parking at Pima Canyon so they can spend five seconds at a viewpoint then get overpriced fudge at Summerhaven, then why not let them?

This is just such a mess.
you can call it a Hogwart if you want, the fact is that the taxpayer is paying for the space and its upkeep and expecting those who actually use it to chip in towards that is NOT unreasonable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson