Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 14,825 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm a Canadian foreign national who has been married to an American for 2 years. After my wife got a good job offer in Tucson, we decided to move there from Toronto. We went ahead and bought a house in Sahuarita with a cash deal a few weeks ago. And I couldnt help but be blown away by the prices in Tucson!! So naturally I'm interested in purchasing an income property to rent out. I've tried my best to research areas but see a large inconsistency in rent prices in each neighborhood. I would truly appreciate sany guidance in looking into the right neighborhoods/properties that would yield the best return on investment.

look forward to hearing from you all,

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM

16 posts, read 44,463 times
I'm almost in the same situation. I'll be working in Tucson for the next two years. I'm looking to buy a property first as primary residence then rent it after my tour is over. Would love to hear from everyone's inputs.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM

135 posts, read 342,166 times
How much can you spend and what kind of return do you want? What's your target CAP rate? Are you handy and do you want a fixer-upper? Are you going to manage it yourself or hire a property manager? If not, are you willing to travel to your rental when something goes wrong or you have to show it to prospective tenants? (That can eat up a lot of your time.) Who is your ideal tenant and how much can they afford? Will you be renting to students?

Personally, I've had good luck buying duplexes in the 85712 area, and my partner and I are starting to look for our next property - probably a single-family fixer-upper this time because good deals on duplexes are hard to find these days. Besides 85712, we like the 85716 and 85710 areas, too. We generally look for properties with some deferred maintenance issues that are located in "transitional" areas.

Also, there's a lot of competition out there now. If you find something you like and it's a good price, don't wait. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbell6 View Post
How much can you spend and what kind of return do you want? What's your target CAP rate? Are you handy and do you want a fixer-upper? Are you going to manage it yourself or hire a property manager? If not, are you willing to travel to your rental when something goes wrong or you have to show it to prospective tenants? (That can eat up a lot of your time.) Who is your ideal tenant and how much can they afford? Will you be renting to students?

Personally, I've had good luck buying duplexes in the 85712 area, and my partner and I are starting to look for our next property - probably a single-family fixer-upper this time because good deals on duplexes are hard to find these days. Besides 85712, we like the 85716 and 85710 areas, too. We generally look for properties with some deferred maintenance issues that are located in "transitional" areas.

Also, there's a lot of competition out there now. If you find something you like and it's a good price, don't wait. Good luck!
Swbell, I'm also looking for a fixer upper also. price range from $130K-180K for a 3BR/@BH with a garage. I don't care who a I can rent it to as long as it is easy to rent area and in a safe neighborhood.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I know someone who has two rentals purchased at the lower end of that price range which have never been empty for a single month in the many years that he's owned them. They are in the 85719 zipcode. One is within walking distance of the U of A, the other in biking distance.

But here's the rub. You're extremely unlikely to find, in shortfu's price range, a three-bedroom, multiple bath house with a garage — even if it's practically falling down — that close to the university. There are some beautiful homes in that zip, but when they are beautiful they are very expensive. The not-expensive houses are old and have very weird layouts. One of my friend's houses has two front doors and no back door. The other one was basically a studio that got rooms added on to it willy-nilly. They both have one small bath and tiny kitchens. The one with two front doors has a one-car garage that was probably built around 1920 (it was being used for storage when the roof started to collapse). The other has no garage. Because of the age of these properties (and the fact that they have been rentals for decades) they require constant maintenance. Still very rentable to university folks, and he comes out ahead financially, but not a project for the faint of heart.

I live in a development near the Foothills Mall where the houses were built at the turn of this century. Because most were sold at the height of the market, owners have suffered greatly in lost value. So when people are forced to move for jobs, etc., many rent their house rather than take the huge loss. They seem to get tenants pretty quickly and these houses have everything shortfu asks for (at the higher end of the specified price range), but I don't know how much profit that would be turned. The market for rentals in a suburb like mine is good now, but if and when mortgages become available again for young people, who knows if the rental market would remain?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM

135 posts, read 342,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I know someone who has two rentals purchased at the lower end of that price range which have never been empty for a single month in the many years that he's owned them. They are in the 85719 zipcode. One is within walking distance of the U of A, the other in biking distance.

But here's the rub. You're extremely unlikely to find, in shortfu's price range, a three-bedroom, multiple bath house with a garage — even if it's practically falling down — that close to the university. There are some beautiful homes in that zip, but when they are beautiful they are very expensive. The not-expensive houses are old and have very weird layouts.

I live in a development near the Foothills Mall where the houses were built at the turn of this century. The market for rentals in a suburb like mine is good now, but if and when mortgages become available again for young people, who knows if the rental market would remain?
Good points, Jukesgrrl. I'm not sure if Shortfu is looking in the University area? The Northwest area is great for rentals, and you're more likely to find garages and modern houses. Floor plan is important - there are some investors who will walk away from older, cramped houses with poorly planned additions, especially if they're unpermitted. I do like some parts of 85719 for investors. And there are pockets of newer neighborhoods all over central Tucson - hidden gems.

As more renters are able to jump into the housing market, that will put upward pressure on prices, of course. And rents tend to follow the general market. Tucson hasn't seen substantial rent increases for awhile. We've kept our rents steady, except in one case with a long-term tenant.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM

I think I've narrow my search to the NW area. I'm looking for properties within 5 mile radius of Ina Rd and Thornydale Rd. I would like to know what is the rental rate for a 3bd/2bt w/ a garage. I could not determine the rental rate for that area on thru Craigslist because not a lot of rental properties are listed for that area. If anyone has a rental property there, please share. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:04 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfu View Post
I think I've narrow my search to the NW area. I'm looking for properties within 5 mile radius of Ina Rd and Thornydale Rd. I would like to know what is the rental rate for a 3bd/2bt w/ a garage. I could not determine the rental rate for that area on thru Craigslist because not a lot of rental properties are listed for that area. If anyone has a rental property there, please share. Thanks.
My sister has a rental a few miles from there at Sliverbell and Cortaro, 1600 sf, 3br 2 bath, 2 car garage, post 2000 construction, she gets 1200 a month and has never had any problems gettting it rented, via Craiglist and networking. I just did a search in the Tucson MLS, based on your parameters in the 85741 and 85742 zip codes there is about 36 properties for rent, low end of 900 tops out at around 1400, exluding some properties in some higher end areas. This area will have homes built in the 1970's to post 2000 so that will have an impact on rents.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 02-09-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
My sister has a rental a few miles from there at Sliverbell and Cortaro, 1600 sf, 3br 2 bath, 2 car garage, post 2000 construction, she gets 1200 a month and has never had any problems gettting it rented, via Craiglist and networking. I just did a search in the Tucson MLS, based on your parameters in the 85741 and 85742 zip codes there is about 36 properties for rent, low end of 900 tops out at around 1400, exluding some properties in some higher end areas. This area will have homes built in the 1970's to post 2000 so that will have an impact on rents.
Thanks for the info. Assuming I have a similar property (3br/2bt, 2-car garage, post 2000 construction) around my ideal area, It would it would be safe assume I can get at least $1200/month or better since it is close to restaurants and the foothill mall?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM

38 posts, read 91,602 times
There can be good income properties in any portion of town, depending on the purchase price. Tucson has many investors right now, and the aggressive rents of the past few years will be harder to fill as people who had been through a short sale or foreclosed on in 2008 and 2009 may be able to purchase again this year. Look at your CAP rate as swbell6 said, decide what sort of investment you want to make. I have seen successful income property from downtown to the Foothills, but it always will come down to the price per month and the amount of people with that criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson