Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM

58 posts, read 143,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Since May is "off season", you might want to look at renting a condo through VRBO.com. It may be less expensive in the long run.
Wow, thanks for this! It's an alternative that never even occurred to me! I didn't find anything that would be less expensive than the Quality Inn, but there are a handful that are only a bit higher and either in or close to the general areas we're going to be checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBho View Post
Wow, thanks for this! It's an alternative that never even occurred to me! I didn't find anything that would be less expensive than the Quality Inn, but there are a handful that are only a bit higher and either in or close to the general areas we're going to be checking out.

Another alternative is Hotwire/Priceline which can get you a better room at a pretty low price.

Still another option is Extended Stay America which has some great deals. The rooms are rather spartan BUT they do include a kitchenette which can save you $$$ on a long stay.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:
Ah, no, that's not the reason we're considering Tucson, this is....

<picture of wonderful, glorious snow>

That photo was taken a couple of hours ago, and there's more snow forecast for today and tomorrow. I'm just done with Colorado weather. It used to be great. We had four very distinct seasons with nice respites from winter by way of Indian summers (sometimes lasting into December!) and chinook winds warming things up for a week or two in February. Not anymore. Now we have COLD weather eight months of the year, relentlessly HOT weather most of the summer and, at best, a couple weeks of mild temps in between.
That is one of the reason I am outta here and headed back to Colorado. To each their own, eh?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM

205 posts, read 729,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
That is one of the reason I am outta here and headed back to Colorado. To each their own, eh?
Wouldn't it be easier to just drive up to Mt. Lemmon a couple times each winter

Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Ah, no, that's not the reason we're considering Tucson, this is....

That photo was taken a couple of hours ago, and there's more snow forecast for today and tomorrow. I'm just done with Colorado weather. It used to be great. We had four very distinct seasons with nice respites from winter by way of Indian summers (sometimes lasting into December!) and chinook winds warming things up for a week or two in February. Not anymore. Now we have COLD weather eight months of the year, relentlessly HOT weather most of the summer and, at best, a couple weeks of mild temps in between.

My must-have list for a retirement locale:

WARM weather/NO snow!
Large city, (though not necessarily a sprawling metropolis)
Low bug population (leaves out pretty much all of the south)
Leaning to the left, politically

I realize Tucson just barely qualifies on that last point, but given that California is out due to financial constraints it's probably the most liberal spot that qualifies on the other counts. Also, it features in the top ten of "best sunny places to retire" lists quite often as of late, being afforded the number one spot on at least a couple of them. That certainly counts for something. (Interestingly though, for a few years ten years or so ago Fort Collins topped a lot of those lists but now it's no where to be found on any of them.)

I've strayed way off the topic of my original post (sorry!) but thanks for the continued assistance.
I'm doing what you plan on doing right now, however I'm in Metro Phoenix and in my first year in Arizona. Fortunately I can actually try out some places to retire. I've been visiting Tucson off and on, when I have time to make a trip down there. Though I like it much more than the Phoenix area. I'm not finding it quite as open to all people and viewpoints as I thought it would be. Now I'm being honest about what is being presented to me. I'm not judging the overall population of the Tucson area. I do however think many of the college kids are more open to people and viewpoints, but people beyond that age group. I'm not so sure. Perhaps I'm not running into them yet. I do think though the UofA does bring a more open to all people, and mindsets feeling to the area. Which is good.

I just came back from a 2 day visit to Tucson. During the visit I had lunch with a group of seniors that were 60 and over. I have done these luncheons several times now. I just don't find them all that different than the ones here in Phoenix. Heavily conservative and no real understanding, of people and places beyond thier neighborhood. They seemed really elderly even at age 60. I guess if one can climb in a golf cart or their car and drive to a golf course. Or can walk their dog they are considered active adults here. I guess I need more Physical activity in life than that. Their views on much of everything, is not what I would have expected in Tucson. Its been rather concerning to me. It takes time to connect with people in new places, so you really have to reach out and try to connect with as many as you can. You have to be careful not to form impressions to early, or it can ruin things quite fast. I think Tucson is a pretty nice place so far. Though it needs to really work on its roads. Some really bad road surfaces.

Another comment on motels. I booked on Expedia this time. I ended up in Marana at the Super 8. Very good price. Its actually a good locations. Nice clean motel and it was quiet yet the hotel was booked. Plenty of stores and restaurants around the area. RIght off I-10 but not noisy at all I even found a wonderful paved bike trail (which is important to me) right near the motel that goes for miles. I have learned when booking on travel websites and checking into the motel. Make sure if the motel clerk asks for your credit card. Be careful because as in my case I already had paid when I booked the room. The motel clerk charged me again when I checked in. Even after I asked. "Are you charging the card because this room is already paid for. She told me no she was not, but she was. So I had a double charge. I checked my online banking found the double charge, and the hotel had to credit me back. So do be careful

Enjoy your stay in Tucson. I have run into some friendly people there, so they are there. The only one's I really haven't cared for, are the ones that ask for money at gas stations. Though who knows where they come from with their hard luck stories.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just drive up to Mt. Lemmon a couple times each winter
Well, if that's all I cared about... as I said, that's just one of the reasons I am leaving!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
As someone who visited Tucson in 2010 & 2011 to visit a friend of mine who moved there in 2010 after spending 60+ years in Orange County, CA (Costa Mesa), I agree that given Tucson's size, there's really no particular area of the city which qualifies as being 'central' to your choices for looking for a home.

When I visited in 2010 I stayed at the Comfort Suites, which is located some 3 1/2 miles south of that Quality Inn. and a block west of Oracle Rd. on Auto Mall Dr.; it was terrific, with a fridge & microwave, as well as a separate living room & bedroom.

A Target and a Walgreens are less than a mile away, and a very nice Fry's Grocery is a mile away.

In 2011 I stayed at the previously mentioned Courtyard by Marriott @ Williams Centre, and it was also very nice, with one of Tucson best and moderately-priced steakhouses (Chad's Steakhouse & Saloon | Home Page) 10 minutes away from either hotel; it was recommended to me by several folks on this board a couple of years ago as well as some of the locals at a superb restaurant/sports bar (Skybox), and I wasn't disappointed at all, and the prices were very reasonable.

My buddy lives right outside the city limits (I do believe) in the northeast part of the city on Kolb. Rd. just north of Sunrise, in a gorgeous area surrounded by all the necessary amenities, and he loves the residents as well as the impeccable weather, toasty summers being a given.

I'll be visitng this November, and that previously mentioned cluster of hotels on Cortraro Rd. adjacent to I-10 are definitely on my radar, and I also plan to utilize Priceline this time around.

I'm hoping to leave LA very soon having lived here for over six decades; the Democrats have destroyed the middle class as well as our onetime thriving manufacturing industry thanks to being slaves to both civil-service unions (prison guards especially) and environmentalists at the expense of everybody else, and Phoenix & Tucson are both on my shortlist of places to move to when I do so.

Best wishes with your house hunting adventures, and be sure to dine at Chad's Steakhouse.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Wanna swap homes?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Fortunately I can actually try out some places to retire.
It sounds like we're looking for pretty much the same things, Jimrob. Are there any other spots on your short list? Other than Austin, I can't think of any. And I reeeeeally can't see myself in Texas.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 PM

I ended up booking what looks to be a secluded vacation rental, yet right in the middle of things, at VRBO.com. Fair warning to others who may be considering using VRBO however: Your credit card will get charged IMMEDIATELY for the full amount, which in my case included not only a $50 insurance policy against damage, but also a $500 deposit against damage!

I'm not too happy about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson