Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses! I'm still hoping/planning to retire in Tucson next year and where I retire there hinges on the sales price of my paid-for townhouse here in Las Vegas, as I'll only go cash for cash purchase, no mortgage.

About a year ago, when I looked, did some research, it looked hopeful I could settle somewhere on the East side, but since then the RE prices of those townhouses have inflated to where I don't think I'll be able to buy any of those units with the proceeds from the sale of my house. $60k+?

So now I'm looking at more affordable locations west/SW of Julia Keen but the walkability score/amenities/long distances to grocery stores doesn't make it too appealing, even though Carson's Corner's walkability score/amenities weren't much more appealing. I absolutely love Reid Park and I would love to be within a short bike ride of that park, and I know all to well north of that park is out of the question, pricewise.

When I moved to Phoenix, back in 1993, I couldn't afford anything in those historic neighborhoods north of downtown, so I bought a fixer-upper near the Coliseum and only 2 blocks to that awesome, historic Encanto park. And? 6 months later that whole neighborhood was designated an historic neighborhood! A stroke of luck!

From the limited excursions to Tucson, over the years, I'm guessing Julia Keen (couldn't even find anything there that was affordable on my last Trulia search, aside from Citation Gardens) will revitalize one day and perhaps neighborhoods adjacent to it.

I am willing to take a risk, but a calculated risk, and I'll be making another last excursion down there this early winter and do some intensive driving trips around the near west side and elsewhere and see what I come up with and make some additional guesses as to what neighborhoods have the potential for revitalization one day, where I'm willing to wait for that to happen!

Encouraging to read the light rail article. I do know Tucson has a 4-mile streetcar line, but are we talking about a new line in addition to that? It's absolutely hopeless here in Las Vegas for the prospect of any light rail lines, as our powerful taxi unions will fight it all the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Tijlover. what can you deal with in terms of size? it won't be easy to find a place in a walkable neighborhood in Tucson in your price range but not impossible if you can deal with small. After the experience people here have had with that misguided trolley, I would bet you and I would be long buried before any other public transportation system (even a spur) is so much as proposed in this city. These condos (2bed/1 bath) are in the same zip as Reid Park and have been reduced in price since they went on sale.
3319 East Water Street #A, Tucson AZ - Trulia
3646 East Blacklidge Drive #2, Tucson AZ - Trulia

Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 PM

My current 1970's townhome with a huge garage, big enough to park 3 cars in, is 1300SF, and I'm keenly aware that in Tucson that big garages attached to townhouses are all but nonexistent, as well as Phoenix, but I can deal with that, and so many of the townhouses/1 story condo's I've looked at are in the 800SF range, which I can also deal with, given the lack of choices and price range. And I do realize we're looking at asking prices!

I like both those units, Jukes, they both come with spacious outdoor patio/yards, but I'm still stubbornly shooting for something a little closer to Reid Park. I spotted one recently on 30th Place, north of Aviation Drive, in a Barrio Centro, at $40k, loved the unit and Trulia takes you on a tour of the neighborhood and it looked good to me. I gave up on Citation Gardens, when realizing they have different HOA's for all the different buildings, one HOA accepting pets, another not! Too confusing!

But I will be there in January for 4 days on an intensive drive and perhaps I'll spot a neighborhood on a potential upswing local Tucsonians have overlooked!

Thanks for taking the time and effort!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But I will be there in January for 4 days on an intensive drive and perhaps I'll spot a neighborhood on a potential upswing local Tucsonians have overlooked!

Thanks for taking the time and effort!
please post back when you find the "upswing" neighborhood. Tucson has been cutting out stuff as of late, they canceled a whole bunch of events, yet, they can afford a useless trolly. the wrong people run Tucson.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 AM

23 posts, read 68,195 times
Hi I am new to Tucson but my husband and I went to an event in Reid Park the other night and where we moved from Denver, the area in a city around a large park like that, city park, would be extremely upscale and sought after. I don't pretend to know Tucson or be a real estate guru but I would nominate the area all around Reid Park as a prime revitalization target. I did notice that there is new infill construction going on on some streets...

Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM

29 posts, read 67,888 times
Interestingly, that is the area the OP is talking about here - Julia Keen is the neighborhood directly South of Reid Park, across 22nd Street. For reasons I've already posted here earlier, my mind would be blown if this area sees any kind of real revitalization ahead of the rest of the city. It is worth mentioning that what I've seen of urban Denver is more dense, and neighborhood oriented than this area of Tucson is, or likely ever will be, and that likely explains some of the difference in the way the presence of a large park effects the prospects for revitalization in one city versus the other. Reid Park is a great resource, though, and unless things have changed it seems largely underutilized.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
I know somebody who lives in one of the Citation Gardens places in Julia Keen....her complex is well-maintained and is a co-op...she got a second-story, small 1BR/1bath place in there a couple years ago for about $20K+ and has a monthly fee to pay....good for retirement on a budget....admittedly, the surrounding area is not utterly attractive and doesn't seem to on the cusp of revitalization, but the location is very convenient within the city....just an older, average location.....

Old 09-30-2013, 08:33 PM

I equate Reid Park in Tucson with Encanto Park in Phoenix, in an area where I once lived, the Central Park's (NYC) of both cities. And, given the wonderful attractions of Reid Park, it's surprising that that park isn't lined, today, with, at least, low-level condo buildings. Citation Gardens is a bit perplexing to me, why it was built where it was, a distance from the park, and not across from the Park. Zoning?

But perhaps it's too late for it to be developed, as, over the years, there may have grown some powerful neighborhood groups (Nimby's) that would never allow that area to be developed. If you look at its twin, Encanto Park, it's largely residential housing around that park.

When I looked at a unit in Citation Gardens, about 5 years ago, I did notice aircraft noise as I walked about the complex with a realtor, and she merely shrugged it off, saying you get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson