Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 8,644 times

Advertisements

Thank you in advance for local advice on Tucson and specifically Tanque Verde area.

I am moving to Tucson and have loved every time I visit.

I really like the Tanque Verde area and while I don't have friends in Tucson yet, my friends up in the Phoenix area are very quick to warn me about crime in Tucson. I see the numbers on the crime stat sites but they really seem to vary.

I'm coming from Houston so I am used to crime but I would like to know how crime is in near Tanque Verde, Sabino Canyon area.

Thank you so much for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 10:45 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
probably a bit lower than the average Tucson crime rate....

but crime happens anywhere....you can't let it, solely, affect your moving decision.....take the normal precautions (I hope I don't have to tell you what those are) and don't live in fear....there is no way you can keep yourself utterly free of the potential to be a victim...

home burglary is the thing to be most vigilant about here

Old 12-05-2015, 10:56 AM

Thank you so much. It's definitely not going to keep me away ... Tucson is such an incredible place! It's just hard to know an area until you live there, walk around and spend some time.

I saw many beautiful homes in the area I liked and all but a few had bars on windows and doors so I wondered if burglary was an issue.

Thank you again.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:24 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
the bars are partly historic architecture and/or partly security....many have heavy screen doors with locks so the main door can be left open to let in nice temperatures in day or night, as appropriate

Old 12-05-2015, 01:25 PM

46 posts, read 44,289 times
A2Z2015,

My sister-in-law lives off of Sabino Canyon/Cloud and it's a great area, albeit a bit pricier than other areas of town. She's never had any problems, but they are starting to develop the area a bit, building more condos/high density housing out there. Still, it's a great place to look.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:27 PM

Thank you both for the information. I do love the area!

Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Phoenix and Tucson have this sibling rivalry thing that you'll figure out when you move here. Phoenix has just as much crime, and MUCH worse neighborhoods in certain areas than Tucson could ever dream of (I've lived in both for a long time).

Tanque Verde is a very nice area. General thing about crime in Tucson. It's not crime where people are assaulting or injuring you. Its usually petty theft or car break-ins, lock your car, get an alarm (with a blue light preferably so its displayed) and don't let anything of value be showing. Its the path of least resistance, you make it to where its easier for them to break into the house down the street or what have you.

As for home burglaries, as you'll figure out, by ordinance, Tucson is DARK I mean almost rural pitch black DARK at night, so be safe in that regard, I own a few houses, all of them have spot lights its a pretty effective deterrent.

Tanque Verde is pretty isolated and far though? Are you working? I can't imagine what a pain a commute would be from over there since the roads in Tucson are pretty poor and the grid is pretty disjointed from itself.

TPD and PCSO use https://www.crimereports.com/ to actually map crime search zipcode 85749 (Mods, this website is official from TPDs website as their proprietary website please leave the link) , I'd suggest taking a look at it. Don't let all of the icons scare you, they record EVERY crime down to a homeless person squatting on vacant land.

Have you considered the southern end of the Catalina Foothills? Like Craycroft/River, River/Campbell etc.? Also very nice but more centrally located.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Thank you so much for the information, I will check out the crime reports as well. I have an internet business so I will be working from home. I do like being out of the 'busy parts' and have even looked at Vail and Benson as I wouldn't mine having a little land. But the internet services seem to be spotty once you get out of town.

I am moving out from the Houston area so even driving across Tucson or a bit of a commute in will seem like a cake walk after sitting in traffic with six million people.

That's one of the many things I love about Tucson. A LOT going on but a smaller town feel.

I will look at these other areas as well, thank you. Another (obscure) reason I like Tanque Verde is that I have 2 miniature pigs and the best vet care is in that area.

Last edited by A2Z2015; 12-05-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2015, 01:27 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
TPD and PCSO use https://www.crimereports.com/ to actually map crime search zipcode 85749 (Mods, this website is official from TPDs website as their proprietary website please leave the link) , I'd suggest taking a look at it. Don't let all of the icons scare you, they record EVERY crime down to a homeless person squatting on vacant land.
The specific area of Sabino/Tanque Verde is more accurately zip code 85715. It's very much in the city and not far from eastside commercial areas. We live near there, a couple blocks east of Udall Park. It's a decent area, and I have never felt unsafe. We have not had any crime problems in the five years we have lived in our neighborhood. However, property crime (auto theft, home burglaries, copper wiring) happens everywhere in Tucson, including this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson