Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 40,704 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your candid comments! My husband and I have taken this info, along with all other kinds of research, and have placed Tucson as one of our top-3 choices. So now I ask: which areas should we absolutely avoid when looking for a new apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 06:12 PM

161 posts, read 693,196 times
Southside and parts of West.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmuneSortOf View Post
Thank you all for your candid comments! My husband and I have taken this info, along with all other kinds of research, and have placed Tucson as one of our top-3 choices. So now I ask: which areas should we absolutely avoid when looking for a new apartment?
That's not fair, Immune . . .

What are you looking for? Are you interested in one of those huge "swinging singles" joints or more of a simple apartment and/or condo type home?

How much do you plan on spending? What are you requirements such as garage, pool, walking to shopping, etc?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 27,960 times
Default North NorthWest NorthEast

You always learn as you go through life... and after buying many homes in various states I can honestly say ALWAYS get something in the North/NorthWest or North/NorthEast... that is the simple fact of where "upcoming" areas move... our southern section of Tucson is booming with development, I'd stake my house on the fact that in 10 years our property (North/NorthWest) which has already in 3 years tripled in price despite the news "fakers" reports of a gloom and doom ... will out sell anything bought south/south west or south east of town.

El Consquistidor (can't spell it :-0) but there are some very lovely townhomes there we looked at once, and it's in a good area. Depends on what you can afford. I used to work in real estate different state, different town - but advice is always the same - Get in the BEST area, even if you have to get a smaller place and you'll be happier than a bigger place, less desirable area...

just my opionion and not that of anyone else :-)

Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 AM

68 posts, read 285,784 times
Move to the north, eastside, or towards the foothills. Stay away from south Tucson as it is known to be bad. It's trashy, gang infested and stinks of raw sewage.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 AM

16 posts, read 64,766 times
While I agree that the Northern sides are AWESOME, I'd also say that you should take a look at Vail.. dont forget that even in the hard times there prices have more than doubled out there over the last 5 years. People who owned a home farther in the past out there have seen exponential property value gains. I personally prefer it over the North, mainy because I enjoy a bit more space and dont have the money to pay the high prices of the North side where I'd want to be. Just my $.02, not worth much... but food for thought.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,457 times
Avoid any area around 1st and Fort Lowell and anything within a 2 or 3 mile radius of that intersection. It's all no good.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_lost View Post
You always learn as you go through life... and after buying many homes in various states I can honestly say ALWAYS get something in the North/NorthWest or North/NorthEast... that is the simple fact of where "upcoming" areas move... our southern section of Tucson is booming with development, I'd stake my house on the fact that in 10 years our property (North/NorthWest) which has already in 3 years tripled in price despite the news "fakers" reports of a gloom and doom ... will out sell anything bought south/south west or south east of town.

El Consquistidor (can't spell it :-0) but there are some very lovely townhomes there we looked at once, and it's in a good area. Depends on what you can afford. I used to work in real estate different state, different town - but advice is always the same - Get in the BEST area, even if you have to get a smaller place and you'll be happier than a bigger place, less desirable area...

just my opionion and not that of anyone else :-)
I swear there IS something to it! I was thinking recently, too, that it appears the northern parts of a city are always the more affluent ones... Countries seem to follow the same pattern: North: good to make a living, but boring; South: fun, but hard to make a living...

Old 02-09-2008, 11:14 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac10devils View Post
Move to the north, eastside, or towards the foothills. Stay away from south Tucson as it is known to be bad. It's trashy, gang infested and stinks of raw sewage.
Sums it up beautifully, Pac.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 AM

6 posts, read 26,546 times
There IS something to it, it's geography. I learned in University many years ago that in the US, most rivers flow from northeast to southwest, making the purist and freshest water that in the northeast, so that folks who could afford to would always settle to the northeast.
I believe this holds in Tucson as well. The northwest is nice, but newly and densely settled compared to the northeast.
That said, I live on five acres in Vail. The water here is groundwater from a private water company, but it comes over the mountains east of Tucson. We have scorpions, rattlesnakes (fire department will pick them up and relocate, and are very nice about doing it), Colorado River toads and black widow spiders. We also have roadrunners, jackrabbits, deer, javelina, quail, and every type of watchable wildlife the desert possesses. Plus lush desert vegetation, glorious mountain views and a billion stars. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I would, however, trade it for more land further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson