Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:15 PM

720 posts, read 995,322 times

Advertisements

I really like Bashas. Probably because it is so close to my house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 08:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Generally, for groceries, I shop at Fry's, Lee Lee's, and 99 Only for the most part.

On my monthly trek to Mesa/Tempe, I stock up at Winco Foods and Arizona International Marketplace. The latter has some of the least expensive but freshest produce I have found in Arizona.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:26 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
The Latino chains haven't made it to Tucson yet? If not, I'm surprised!

Here, in Las Vegas we have Cardena's, Marianna's, La Bonita, Marketon chains, all Hispanic and I love every one of them, as they all have in-house restaurants and lots of cheap produce, and in-house carniceria's.

Yes, I know Basha's has a Mexican grocery store chain, been there, but they're nothing like the Latino chains up here!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yes, I know Basha's has a Mexican grocery store chain, been there, but they're nothing like the Latino chains up here!
I'm not sure if Basha's Food City is the main reason or just one of the reasons other Hispanic grocery chains are not in Tucson. The Tucson metroplex is 40% Hispanic, so there's 400,000 people right there.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:08 AM

What a curiosity! The Latino chains being blocked from entry into Tucson? Interesting!

Old 02-07-2017, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,966 times
Volvo repair - Village Automotive in Marana. Paul used to run a private Volvo repair shop in CA before moving to AZ. Very friendly and honest.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm not sure if Basha's Food City is the main reason or just one of the reasons other Hispanic grocery chains are not in Tucson. The Tucson metroplex is 40% Hispanic, so there's 400,000 people right there.

El Super, a chain based in Mexico, has a large supermarket on 6th Ave immediately south of I-10. You really cannot get more Mexican than that.

Having shopped there over the past three years, i can understand why major Mexican supermarket chains do not have a presence in Tucson. First the service is MISERABLE. The last time I was in there on a BUSY Saturday afternoon, there were 46 people waiting at the meat counter with ONLY two employees waiting on them. Only three of nine cashier stands were open. I would like to say that was an anomaly but actually, it is usually the case.

Food City offers a little better service. They do pretty well in the produce department and some of the ethnic stuff. However, their meat is at best mediocre and generally poorly cut.

Generally, most Hispanic families I see shop at Fry's and Walmart where the prices are lower. Fry's has a number of stores on the southside that are very much tailored to the Hispanic market and they have a lot better quality.

In South Tucson, you will also notice that there are dozens of totillerias, panaderias, and carnecerias that service the community well (and in Spanish) and they draw quite a lot of business away from the supermarket chains.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:23 PM

I overlooked El Super, as we have 1 or 2 of them in Las Vegas as well, although I've never been to one, as I prefer the La Bonita chain. I mainly shop there for their super cheap Produce, as Wal Mart's produce prices are out of sight, IMO!

Meat prices are comparable to any other chain.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 573 times
I owned an 850 Turbo when I lived in Tucson. The Revolvstore was just a junkyard on the south side of town back then, iirc, but it gets great reviews on Yelp. I used Prestige Import Auto Service on Stone Ave with mixed results and finally started ordering parts from IPD and doing the work myself. I don't know if that's an option for your year/model. I would suggest looking at the Yelp reviews for either of those two places, though.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:13 PM

346 posts, read 612,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstool View Post
Volvo repair - Village Automotive in Marana. Paul used to run a private Volvo repair shop in CA before moving to AZ. Very friendly and honest.
Awesome info..I will look him up once we move back to Tucson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson