Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,901 times

Advertisements

It appears Tucson is accepting (to gays)but how is green valley? Just wondered if we moved there would we be accepted by most as a neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 05:22 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Can't say how friendly it would be, but I can tell you it's a major retirement community. median age is 73. 90% white, leans more Demo than Republican.

Less than 1% of the population identifies as gay or lesbian.

Nearby area also an option Sauharita (sp?) which is more geared to younger families.
Both aren't far from Tucson and Hwy 19 is an easy run.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:48 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I'd have to think hard of any community today that wouldn't be accepting of Gay people. The question is, would the Gay people there be friendly to you? Not all Gay people are friendly even to their own kind.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:47 AM

26 posts, read 26,399 times
it might end up being more about what type of person you are other than being gay. also, there are so many different kinds of gay. i doubt you will find many gay establishments in that area vs. tucson. if being gay is a major focal point of your personality i'd guess you'd feel somewhat isolated in that area. but i'd be willing to guess that the majority of the neighbors would not care about you being gay. no doubt some of the neighbors would be upset about something about you which might have nothing to do with you being gay but which you might rationalize is because you are gay.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,901 times
Thanks for the responses. We are a quiet friendly couple and just like everybody else. We are very active and love meeting people. Love wood work, pottery, art, hiking, tennis... games, cards, you name it. Just checking as this will probably be our permanent place for the rest of our lives. Just want to blend in as an old married couple. We are not a flashy couple. Looking forward to our new adventure in Arizona. Living in the southeast I have never been to the west part of the country. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb5145 View Post
It appears Tucson is accepting (to gays)but how is green valley? Just wondered if we moved there would we be accepted by most as a neighbor.

It is closer to 5-10% in the clubs where I maintain membership records. I think that most people are accepted in Green Valley if they make at least a minimal effort to be friendly.

There is an active LGBT group in the area that meets frequently.

https://www.lgbtclubgreenvalleyaz.com/

Old 01-09-2020, 05:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb5145 View Post
Thanks for the responses. We are a quiet friendly couple and just like everybody else. We are very active and love meeting people. Love wood work, pottery, art, hiking, tennis... games, cards, you name it. Just checking as this will probably be our permanent place for the rest of our lives. Just want to blend in as an old married couple. We are not a flashy couple. Looking forward to our new adventure in Arizona. Living in the southeast I have never been to the west part of the country. Thanks again.
Lot's of arts/crafts and outdoors activities in that area. Sounds like your interests and activities would fit in fine. Maybe 30 miles south of GV is Tubac, a cool artsy but smaller community.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,519 times
Just out shooting in the desert yesterday with two buds of mine, a couple of married women (I'm a heterosexual male, and their firearms instructor!). In our conversation as we left the range we discussed this very issue. The pair come from CA. Their friends warned them of the problems they were going to face moving to AZ, among all those "conservatives." They informed me in the couple of years they've been here their sexual orientation has been a non-issue.

More than that I don't know!

Rich

Old 01-10-2020, 03:49 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Personality and humor can override anything!

I live in a 55+ community in Central Tucson, and it's taken me a year and a half now, in this 200 unit community, to discover 3 lesbian couples and 3 gay male couples and I'm Gay.

We live in a world now where it's arbitrary who you are.

What would be intolerable for me, living in an all Gay community! I love diversity!

Old 01-10-2020, 08:06 AM

364 posts, read 617,569 times
I think the original poster was more concerned about active discrimination vs gay couple activities. If they are looking to move to GV then they are prob a little older and have their own lives already well in hand. Some places out where I live in Texas will actively go after gay and lesbian couples. Not in the urban dfw areas, but drive 10 min any direction and you dive into full hard red country where being gay puts a target on your back metaphorically speaking.

And for the record. If anyone in the south say's, "Oh...well Bless your heart..." That means *&#! You..... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson