Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2021, 08:33 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,861,766 times

Advertisements

We have not seen our javelina friends for several weeks now with the exception of a single javelina who wandered up our driveway, and I followed it. He found a good place to exit the driveway and went to feast on succulent greenery thanks to our heavy rains lately! This video is from earlier in the summer that I had planned to post at the time, but then we had storms and gila monsters, etc and it just did not happen. I was on a morning walk when I came across 5 or 6 javelina including 2 babies eating prickly pear cactus alongside the road. Usually, I will try and slide by on the far side of the road, but with the babies present, plus the fact that I thought there may be more on the other side of the road, I observed for a while and eventually turned around and went another way. Make sure to see the baby nursing near the end of the video! The very last clip was sent to me by a neighbor who captured a group of javelina with his security cam, and there was a very odd sound that I had not heard a javelina make before!!! I hope you enjoy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwuFzitUj58
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 10:02 PM

810 posts, read 871,476 times
Good to see the squadron again (and the babies nursing!) There were several times where one of the adults yawns widely which struck me as funny. And that odd cackling sound that one made at the end was so unusual. I didn't know they made sounds like that - interesting.

I wonder why they've not been around for weeks. Maybe the rains/easier foraging lets them stay closer to wherever home base is. Thank you to you and your neighbor for your videos!

Old 08-09-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Good to see the squadron again (and the babies nursing!) There were several times where one of the adults yawns widely which struck me as funny. And that odd cackling sound that one made at the end was so unusual. I didn't know they made sounds like that - interesting.

I wonder why they've not been around for weeks. Maybe the rains/easier foraging lets them stay closer to wherever home base is. Thank you to you and your neighbor for your videos!
When the javelina yawn, did you also notice those large teeth? Yes, they were just getting up. It was just after 6 am when I took the video. Those first 4 or 5 were the early risers, then you saw all those that slept in show up near the end of the video about 20 minutes later! I do not know where they go, but this happens every year that I remember where they "disappear" for a while. I will be happy when they come back!!! Yes, that sound capture by my neighbor was really interesting! I had not heard that sound before either. I guess you learn something new every day!!! Thanks for watching and your comment!

Old 08-09-2021, 12:25 PM

810 posts, read 871,476 times
I did see those teeth!! Looks like they could bite through pretty much anything. I'll keep a nice distance if I ever see one and leave them to their prickly pear cactus.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
I did see those teeth!! Looks like they could bite through pretty much anything. I'll keep a nice distance if I ever see one and leave them to their prickly pear cactus.
Sounds like a wise idea to me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson