Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:46 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
My understanding of the law is if you are already in the intersection before it turns red,you are legal to finish the turn?
Well, I think you are right. They had a diagram with a handy dandy illustration for where the 'infraction point' was. The light turned red before he had even gotten there. Or started to turn. So it he was blatantly at fault. No doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's mighty weird... At many intersections that's the only way to ever turn.

It is. There was a huge argument about this on the Phoenix forum once.
Oh it was his fault. After he watched the video he chuckled and said there was no arguing that. Definite problem with his turn. That's what he gets for just following the person in front of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Well, I think you are right. They had a diagram with a handy dandy illustration for where the 'infraction point' was. The light turned red before he had even gotten there. Or started to turn. So it he was blatantly at fault. No doubt about it.

Oh it was his fault. After he watched the video he chuckled and said there was no arguing that. Definite problem with his turn. That's what he gets for just following the person in front of him.
So, it was an intersection without an arrow, I take it... Actually, arrows can be deceiving, too. Seems like it takes at least 2 cars to set off the censors or you have to be closer to the intersection because many times when my car was the only car in the turning lane the arrow didn't come on.

Well, at least it’s good to know it was a real and not fabricated violation.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 PM

161 posts, read 693,272 times
OK, so if those little cameras at every post at an intersection aren't red light cameras (which I'm assuming are the huge ones like at Tanque Verde/Grant,) then what are they? Speed cameras? Because they can't be responsible for emergency responders' green lights, because they weren't always there. They appeared last October when the red light cameras started to appear.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
OK, so if those little cameras at every post at an intersection aren't red light cameras (which I'm assuming are the huge ones like at Tanque Verde/Grant,) then what are they? Speed cameras? Because they can't be responsible for emergency responders' green lights, because they weren't always there. They appeared last October when the red light cameras started to appear.
Maybe that's just Big Brother watching us. Soon he'll be talking to us, too, as he does in London based on what I've read.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:26 PM

16 posts, read 47,547 times
Here's another map to Tucson speed and red light traps:

Speed Traps / Red Light Cameras - Automotive Blogs - Car News - Njection

Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM

I can contribute a little about the East side:

- half of the time - on Speedway (North side) at the entrance of Dorado Country Club (between Kolb & Wilmot); in the past they used to hang out a lot on Speedway between Pantano & Camino Seco (by the bridge), but haven't seen them there lately at all

- half of the time - the East side of Kolb between Speedway & Tanque Verde

- there is a frequent trap on Speedway (South side) just West of Wilmot

- sometimes on Tanque Verde going East past the bridge and before you hit lights again (the stretch you’re obviously likely to speed on)

- these infamous vans started showing up quiet often on Kolb (West side) between Speedway & Broadway, too

- oh, yeah, apparently 22nd St is pretty bad trap-wise as well

Last edited by sierraAZ; 08-01-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 17,242 times
Are these red-light cameras capable of generating speeding tickets in addition to tickets for running the red light? I just got pictured on one, but when the camera flashed, I was almost at the other side of the intersection and I'm pretty sure I had cleared the line by the time the light turned red. I was speeding though. Can I get a speeding ticket from these things?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrjenkins View Post
Are these red-light cameras capable of generating speeding tickets in addition to tickets for running the red light? I just got pictured on one, but when the camera flashed, I was almost at the other side of the intersection and I'm pretty sure I had cleared the line by the time the light turned red. I was speeding though. Can I get a speeding ticket from these things?
Good question, MrJenkins.

From what I understand . . . NO.

I believe the Red Light Cameras are only looking for Red Light Runners. However, there are a few Speed Camera Vans popping up where they are needed and when least expected.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:33 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,456 times
The trick is to wear a latex mask when driving. No clear photo of your face = no good!

On a bit more serious note, I have heard that these tickets really are NO GOOD unless they are served to you by an actual human. As I was told, if it just shows up in the mail its not valid, you can actually fight it and make them serve you - problem with that is that if they actually do serve you, you pay the ticket plus a $25 fee for the process.

Can anyone confirm this?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 17,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
The trick is to wear a latex mask when driving. No clear photo of your face = no good!

On a bit more serious note, I have heard that these tickets really are NO GOOD unless they are served to you by an actual human. As I was told, if it just shows up in the mail its not valid, you can actually fight it and make them serve you - problem with that is that if they actually do serve you, you pay the ticket plus a $25 fee for the process.

Can anyone confirm this?
I can confirm that that is the case for Phoenix. I'm currently trying to figure out if it's the same for Tucson. I would imagine that the laws are the same in terms of serving defendant - that the ticket has to be given to you in person, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, there seems to be other ways of fighting the ticket. Here's a useful page on photo radars from the Phoenix area of city-data:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...-advice-9.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson