Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 AM

18 posts, read 76,679 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a new home to buy in Tucson. We have found some but the backyards face East. That means after 2 or 3pm the backyard is in shade. Is that a good thing? It would be nice to watch the sun set but during the summer I would imagine it could get hot in the house.

What do you think is an optimal direction for the backyard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:42 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
It really all depends on the layout of your house. My backyard is east-facing and want it that way since we have a patio at the back. I hated having to grill with the sun beating down on us. This way, at noon, we start having shade in the back and have had no need to put up our patio umbrella. The sun sets on the front of the house, which is also where our garage is and only my hubby's office. We have a front yard where all our flowers are. Roses are now wonderful in the front yard, as well as all the sun loving plants. They would never have made it if the front was east facing.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 AM

Thanks bibit. In some homes there is a non-heated pool in the east facing backyard, will we be sorry that there is not more sun on the pool (and cold)?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:36 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackAZ View Post
We're looking for a new home to buy in Tucson. We have found some but the backyards face East. That means after 2 or 3pm the backyard is in shade. Is that a good thing? It would be nice to watch the sun set but during the summer I would imagine it could get hot in the house.

What do you think is an optimal direction for the backyard?
Which direction your home faces is not as important as which direction the "play area" faces, JackAZ.

My first choice would be to have the patio face South so it would be flooded in sun this time of year yet shaded during the UGH Days Of Summer.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM

117 posts, read 286,783 times
My backyard faces east and I love it... Its shaded by my house after noon and makes it usable during the summer when temps are above 110. My driveway is so hot that I cant wash my car after noon because the water dries on it too fast. I usually have to wash my car early in the morning or very close to sunset. I definitely recommend an east facing backyard, especially if you have kids.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackAZ View Post
Thanks bibit. In some homes there is a non-heated pool in the east facing backyard, will we be sorry that there is not more sun on the pool (and cold)?
Not being in Tucson, I don't know how cold it is with the sun down. I am in the Carolinas, and in the summer, that heat and humidity is unbearable. If I had a pool, I would want it facing east so I don't get the brutal sun beating down on me in the afternoon. It is warm here in the summer. If you have kids, you really want them in the shade while still being in the pool.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:27 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,829 times
An east facing back yard would be great and would provide you with shade; however, if there are no trees in your front yard, the sun will be shining into your living room. It gets hottest around 4 or 5 pm in the afternoon, so when you get home from work your house may be unbearably hot unless someone is going to be home all day running the AC.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Good point Takes1, I'll remember that about the trees! Thanks all for the comments.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Most people seem to prefer N/S houses. Mine is E/W. The living room faces W and I really don't want any visitors at about 4 or 5 p.m. You can be dusting at that very moment and still all you see is dust!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times
My house in NW/SE facing and we get sun all day long. But, we also get gorgeous sunsets and no sunrises. We're at the foot of Pusch Peak, so the sun doesn't rise until about 8:45 a.m. Plus, we're surrounded by lots of trees. I do have lots of blooming plants in the SE facing yard and they're doing great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: