Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Arizona: computer protection, battery backup, network surge protection, uninterruptible power supply.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,569,659 times

Advertisements

How important is it to have a battery backup system such as APC on your computer between September and May? Are electrical storms an issue? Would a surge protect strip work just as well? Our main computer has the phone line for the DSL plugged in, but the other two are wireless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,554 times
I would think that a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) is only practical if you need a graceful shutdown when power goes out. Most of the time a UPS is in place to allow a safe shutdown of the system (automated or manually) and typically doesn't provide power for that long, especially for consumer versions.

I would say a surge protector strip is a definite need, just this season I've had power go out at my house three or four times. As far as DSL, if the incoming line comes in through the power strip you're covered, wireless connections won't be at risk.

HowStuffWorks "When to Use a Surge Protector"

Power Protection Buying Guide

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
How important is it to have a battery backup system such as APC on your computer between September and May? Are electrical storms an issue? Would a surge protect strip work just as well? Our main computer has the phone line for the DSL plugged in, but the other two are wireless.
Only during September thru May, Marcy?

Power outages caused by the monsoon storms usually occur, if at all, during July and August plus, depending on Mother Nature, a few days into September. Under normal conditions, rarely during other periods.

Also, where you reside in the Tucson Area definitely makes a difference as some areas seem more prone to power outages than others.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 AM

We're in Oro Valley and we're only there Sept. through May, back here in CO for the summers where we have massive thunderstorms. At our altitude, 9800 ft., we're in the storms, not under them. Our power goes out all the time and lightning bolts hit all around us. For me, it's terrifying. The rest of the family thinks it's "cool". We even have lightning rods on the house.

We just bought our place in Oro Valley in April and had a lot of work done on it. We moved in during August, but were only there for a week, and will be coming back at the end of this month until the weekend before the election, then from Nov. 6 until the first of May. I haven't experienced the weather in the fall/winter before, so I wasn't sure what to expect with regards to storms or computer protection.

I currently have an APC and a surge strip. I have a Qwest DSL and the yellow cord goes from the router to my computer, the green cord from the router to the APC and the phone cord from the router to the wall outlet. The APC is plugged in to the surge protect strip.

Thanks for all the help. I'm new to AZ living, and I have a bunch of questions. It's very different than living in the mountains of Colorado!

Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,582 times
A battery back up is not needed for most personal computers.

A good surge protector on the other hand is essential to protect your computer. You should have one regardless of where you live, and electrical storms.

Lots of different things can cause surges to happen, and its best to protect your expensive equipment no matter what.

The $10 ones you get at WalMart or the hardware store would be sufficient in most cases, but if this is something you're really worried about - getting one that costs $50 or even $100 will protect you better (can withstand higher amounts of power in a surge, some have insurance that they will replace your equipment if it fails, that actually works).

Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
A battery back up is not needed for most personal computers.

A good surge protector on the other hand is essential to protect your computer. You should have one regardless of where you live, and electrical storms.

Lots of different things can cause surges to happen, and its best to protect your expensive equipment no matter what.

The $10 ones you get at WalMart or the hardware store would be sufficient in most cases, but if this is something you're really worried about - getting one that costs $50 or even $100 will protect you better (can withstand higher amounts of power in a surge, some have insurance that they will replace your equipment if it fails, that actually works).
I'm probably overly worried about surge protection because a few years ago in Colorado, our house got hit by lightning and it went through the phone lines, exploded two phones and fried my hard drive (also through the phone line into the computer). I lost all the data on my hard drive as I wasn't good about backing things up. We have AWFUL lightning storms here in the Colorado mountains, and when we got to Tucson last month, we had a little bit of lightning, and that's what prompted me to write. I realize that in Colorado we're at 9200 ft. altitude and only about 3000 in Tucson, so the storms are more intense here, but I was curious.

Thank you all for your replies. The surge protector is plugged in, the red light is on, and I feel much more comfortable.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. The surge protector is plugged in, the red light is on, and I feel much more comfortable.
Experience is always our best teacher, Marcy.

Just remember, unless you've gone "wireless" as so many have done lately, make certain your surge protector has the capability to protect the internet line as well.

Also, don't forget to BACK UP!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Experience is always our best teacher, Marcy.

Just remember, unless you've gone "wireless" as so many have done lately, make certain your surge protector has the capability to protect the internet line as well.

Also, don't forget to BACK UP!
Oh, I back up now like a fool. I really learned. Everything on my computer is on DVD ten times over all the time. You don't know how much you rely on your computer and all the programs, files, and photos and other things you've loaded until it explodes on you. I was sitting in the kitchen, and thought I was safe (the computer was on screen saver) when the phone above my head literally exploded and flew off the wall and there were flames. At exactly the same time, the phone next to the computer also exploded, then the computer tower exploded. It was not a pretty sight, and of course, it was a Friday afternoon, so I had to wait until Monday for computer help. Qwest had us fixed (after we bought new phones and they fixed out lines) on Tuesday. I may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I sure learned from that experience!!

I think we're sort of wireless. We have Qwest DSL both in CO and in AZ. But, it's my computer that the "router" hooks up to. Hubby and Son are truly wireless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson