Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times

Advertisements

Did our first storm of the monsoon season hit all over the city?

I heard in rained in southern Pima County yesterday. But my rain experience didn't begin until this afternoon as I was leaving Pima CC's East Side campus on Anklam Road. It poured on my entire trip home to NW. I took Silverbell Road rather than take the freeway, which is how I got there. Given drivers were traveling 10 miles an hour over the speed limit even on Silverbell, I'm glad I stayed off of I-10. I saw a Pontiac Trans Am do an almost 360 degree spin going out of control on Silverbell when he took a turn too fast and lost control as he fishtailed on the slick road and then over-corrected. Everyone at the intersection came to a stop so he could do his circus act. So many Tucsonans don't seem to remember that cold rain falling on hot, dry pavement immediately translates to a slick surface. Drivers, can't we at least agree not to speed during a monsoon rain?

My favorite part about this rain was its length. Long and steady rain is so much more beneficial than those scary torrential downpours that flood certain areas in minutes and leave others without a drop of water. It's 12:40 a.m. as a type this and I can still hear rain on my roof, so I guess we're having at least some monsoon rain for July 4, too.

Enjoy! And happy Independence Day, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,933 times
It was wonderful! I could almost hear my plants saying a collective "thank you thank you thank you". I, too, was very relieved when it turned to slow steady rain. Such a wonderful smell, such a wonderful feel to the air. Ahhh!

I live in Oro Valley and we got a very nice dose of rain - I think I have to get a rain gauge for myself.

My 8 month old puppy was freaking out a bit. I couldn't figure out what her problem was until I realized she hadn't actually seen rain or a thunderstorm ever (that I could recall, anyway).

Bummer there will be storms on the 4th for those who make a big party of the day, but I'm just glad to finally get some rain.

Happy 4th to you too, Jukesgrrl!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
There has been a lot of thunderstorm activity in Green Valley the last two nights but little to show for it. It has drizzled for about ten minutes both nights. Most of the storms looked like they were hitting the Tubac area.

However, I will admit that the temperatures are dropping and I have not had to run the AC for the past couple of days.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
In my part of OV, it was great! Torrential downpour for quite a while. I was in the Safeway at 1st & Tangerine when it started pouring. People were crowded by the front door, and others like me wandered the aisles waiting out the storm and buying way more than they needed! Got home during a lull, then the slow, steady rain started. The humidity was awful, and my AC went out, so I had a hot, humid night last night. Got the AC fixed today by our maintenance guy, and no rain! Still humid and rain's in the forecast all week. Love it!!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:20 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Finally, the rain came to Green Valley. It was not the tumultuous storm that I had been warned about with rushing water down the street but three hours of steady rain.

It is rather chilly tonight sitting out here posting ...

Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 PM

23,225 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Off topic perhaps?, given the altitude is much higher in Nogales (3800 feet) and Tucson is lower, if they get a big downpour in Nogales, does the water run north then to Tucson, via a creek/river? And given Phoenix is lower in altitude, than Tucson, does the excess water then run north towards Phoenix? Or are there catch basins?

Doesn't water always rush towards the lowest point?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,067,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Off topic perhaps?, given the altitude is much higher in Nogales (3800 feet) and Tucson is lower, if they get a big downpour in Nogales, does the water run north then to Tucson, via a creek/river? And given Phoenix is lower in altitude, than Tucson, does the excess water then run north towards Phoenix? Or are there catch basins?

Doesn't water always rush towards the lowest point?

the Santa Cruz River runs from a point in Arizona (San Rafael Valley). into Mexico, then north to near Nogales and to Tucson, then down to the Gila River, avoiding the Phx area....in heavy rains, the Santa Cruz will fill up with water from various sources (side drainages) along its course....by the time the river gets to the Gila, it's little more than a shallow desert wash and any water in it sinks into the sand along the way or dribbles into the Gila....

Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 PM

23,225 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Thanks! I also neglected to consider the lowering of altitude going west, as well!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,462 times
I can't add much to the monsoon conversation since I'm still stuck in Pittsburgh, but I am jealous of the you guys and what looks to be a good monsoon season so far! Enjoy it!

Funny, it rains all the time here, but there's no magic to it - it's just depressing!

Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,989 times
Cold water on hot pavement does not make it slick. It is the oil that drips from engines over many months that lays there on the pavement. Than, when it starts to rain, it is water and oil for the first 2 or so hours what makes the pavement extremely slick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson