Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 PM

96 posts, read 314,748 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone~I have read the Forums on City Data for many years but have never posted 'til recently. I appreciate responses of all kind...want to thank you all for that in advance!

Here's the thing...my husband and I have been in Michigan now 3 years (work related-his) and I cannot wait to leave. I am miserable in every way, especially weather-wise. Too much snow, too much freezing cold...tired of it all.

We are beginning to explore reasonable alternatives for semi-retirement in a few years and I am stuck on a couple of issues. I'm hoping you all can shed some light on my dilemma.

My husband and I, although in our early 50's (he 54, me 51) are not the type of people who I think will do well in a 50's+ retirement community. We are very independent, kinda forward thinking (in some ways-smile), always been into alternative music, alternative film, art, theater, multi-ethnic food (tho' we're not food snobs), travel, being around all types of people, etc, etc, etc...you get the picture.

I lived in Manhattan for 12 years 'til moving to Michigan and I never thought I would leave Manhattan. My husband is born & raised in New Jersey but we've both lived in a few different places. We are in NO WAY what I would consider to be uptight, elite Northeasterners (no offense intended again to anyone). I'm not looking to duplicate Manhattan-smile but here are my questions:

1) I know it's been asked a million times but weather aside, do you think we'd fair better in Tucson or Albuquerque??? We've owned a timeshare in Santa Fe for 10 yrs 'cause we loved NM so much when we first visited there in 1999. We have NOT spent much time in Albuquerque (we will be traveling there later in the year). Me, I'm partial to Tucson, tho' I've not been to Tucson in many years. In all due respect to those that love the place, Santa Fe is WAY TOOOOO PRETENTIOUS for me but my husband likes NM a lot...he'll be visiting SoCal and Tucson for the first time with me in May '09...I've been to both areas several times;

2) If we do not move into a 50+ place and we choose to live around the outskirt or the edge of town on an acre plus (give or take), will we have a difficult time meeting folks in Tucson??? In other words, will we be isolated living on our own in Tucson, at our age?

Thanks again to all who respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 AM

89 posts, read 386,209 times
Interesting post Tonilee. Just a couple of things that struck me while reading your self-description...

All the while reading, I kept imagining you would fit in well in Sadona, AZ. It's really very beautiful there, offers the art culture there which draws all walks of life, and that is a good spot for people who are looking to retire. It's a bit of a touristy area, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. At any rate, from your five second snapshot, that is a spot I think you might do well to check out.

At the end of your post you were talking about acreage on the outskirts of Tucson. That brings to mind the Vail, AZ area. A lot of us choose to live in that area in an effort to have the amenities of Tucson while being away from it all at home. Its a good balance, and I think you might want to look into Vail if you do choose Tucson.

Good luck Tonilee, to you and your husband! Oh, and by the way, I personally really miss Michigan. I am from Ann Arbor.

You can take a sneek peek at Sedona here:
Official website of the Sedona Tourism Bureau (Arizona)

Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 PM

Smile Thanks for the great reply...

Hi CDL-A...thank you so very much for the quick and thoughtful response! I really appreciate all the time and thoughtfulness that you put into your post.

Yes, John (my husband) and I thought about Sedona , which seems really nice. I think John would tolerate the heat a bit better, too versus Tucson. However, the housing prices seem to be a bit steep in the Sedona area.

I don't know much about Vail but I will DEFINITELY look into your suggestions, especially the piece about having a bit of land, etc.

Oh...BTW...John and I are actually in Belleville, on the Ypsilanti line. John loves it here! He is very, very happy except for the rather rough winters. He does okay, though, 'cause he lived in Syracuse NY for many years. John LOVES Ann Arbor a whole lot! We go in whenever we get the chance, especially for great Indian food!!!! Ann Arbor is very beautiful, isn't it???

One of the blessings for me living here in southeastern MI is having a wonderul, 2100 sq foot, historical farmhouse (c.1860) on 2 acres of land. My dogs love it! So do I, especially in the spring/summer. Our property is on the corner (dirt roads) near 2 other original old houses, one older than ours and one newer. While this property was subdivided a few years back, we still have tons of privacy and a park-like setting with several out-buildings.

Can I ask you if you are HAPPY living in Arizona? Can you tell me a little bit about your life there? What you like about the area...dislikes????

Thanks, Toni Lee

Last edited by tonilee; 01-04-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
Hi everyone~I have read the Forums on City Data for many years but have never posted 'til recently. I appreciate responses of all kind...want to thank you all for that in advance!

Thanks again to all who respond!
A little over ten years ago while living in Northern California, I decided it was time to relocated to a less stressful life. I literally "shopped" for about two years (Albuquerque was high on the list) and kept returning to Tucson for a number of reasons. Weather and a "small town atmosphere" were very important to me and I quickly learned there were no perfect places. Ten years later my only complaint is that I didn't do it sooner.

I hope this helps a little.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:11 PM

89 posts, read 386,209 times
*drooling*
Okay, I cannot imagine wanting to leave that amazingly gorgeous home you have! I would cry for years, knowing that nothing else would come close to measuring up to that. This really goes to show, what makes one person happy can be the complete opposite of the person next in line. As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Your side is looking mighty green to me! Want to trade?

Seriously though, I'm glad there are so many different ideas of the good life. Diversity makes ours an interesting world, eh?

With all that said, what I like about living here may not weigh in much with you. Furthermore, what I don't like might be a draw for you. Think I'll leave the pros and cons lists to the others. I see Bummer wrote, and he's really good at adding a fresh perspective!

Before I stop rambling (and drooling over your pictures), I just want to add a thought. From what I can gather, you are living on a property that will surely get enough cash for you to be pretty choosy about where you want to live. You said that Sedona was a place you considered but decided it might cost too much to buy there. I'll bet you can get quite a nice place in Sedona with what you get from your Belleville property. I wouldn't cross anyplace off your list just yet.

One thing you can do is check out the MLS listings of properties here in Tucson and the surrounding area. That will give you the idea of what properties here go for and perhaps help you decide on an area. Remember to check out Vail! Specifically the Corona de Tucson and Sycamore Canyon areas are worth a look. Okay, so I'm biased because that's where I'm building. Still think you might like it there though.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Default Thanks for the response, Bummer

Yes, your reply does help so much. Thanks again.

You know, I've been reading through the City-Data forums about many places, many towns, etc...many of which I've lived in. As so many people have stated, there is no PERFECT place. Some might even argue that happiness with where one lives is more reflective of a state of mind than actually finding a great fit (a sentiment that I don't totally agree with).

I have to keep telling myself that I moved here to Michigan to be with my husband because at age 49 yrs, after losing a job in New York due to downsizing, he obtained a great job. That in and of itself, employment, is a blessing for so many people these days.

As much as I love NYC, I would never move back there unless I had lots of money (which my husband and I do not have). I have to chuckle 'cause when you visit the NYC boards, you have people lamenting about "where they can live in NYC that's hip, happening, this-and-that, while making $250,000 yearly." It's like, "OMG...give me a break!" THAT'S REALLY THE KIND OF MONEY ONE NEEDS TO LIVE COMFORTABLY IN MANHATTAN, give or take. And to whine about it???? C'mon...

Anyhow, I'm rambling but somehow your post reminded me that we have to be thankful for all the goodness that we DO have in our lives. I'm grateful that my husband is healthy and enjoying his work.

I think HE will be the deciding factor on where we land, especially if he feels more comfortable with Tucson versus Albuquerque when we visit Tucson in May!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Red face Thanks CDL-A

I appreciate your input, CDL-A. I inserted those pictures because I hoped they would bring good memories back to you about Michigan.

I hear what you are saying about what is pleasing for one person may not be so for another and vice versa. Actually, at this point in my life, I'm pretty simple to please.

As I mentioned in a response to Bummer, one thing I also like about Michigan is that the relocation helped both my husband and I re-focus our priorities and rethink our values. I spend most of my time at home, I have a small, home-based jewelry business but I am a Masters prepared registered nurse (now part-time nursing instructor). Recent onset of illness makes it hard for me to work as an RN on a regular basis.

Anyhow...what I'm looking for in a future semi-retirement location are some of the following:

1) God-given simplicity, natural beauty, peaceful and pleasant surroundings,

2) kind & warm NON-MATERIALISTIC people,

3) a nice home with a little land for my animals (dogs) to enjoy...my cat stays indoors,

4) a place that embraces simple values, low-keyed living,

5) GOOD HEALTH CARE

6) warm weather

7) eclectic living (different types of folks)

8) some proximity to art, culture, theater, ethnic eats

Oh, btw...I've read that you are in the process of moving to a new home. Best wishes to you on all of that...I know how exciting that can be!

Toni Lee

Old 01-04-2009, 01:33 PM

687 posts, read 2,033,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDL-A View Post
Interesting post Tonilee. Just a couple of things that struck me while reading your self-description...

All the while reading, I kept imagining you would fit in well in Sadona, AZ. It's really very beautiful there, offers the art culture there which draws all walks of life, and that is a good spot for people who are looking to retire. It's a bit of a touristy area, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. At any rate, from your five second snapshot, that is a spot I think you might do well to check out.

At the end of your post you were talking about acreage on the outskirts of Tucson. That brings to mind the Vail, AZ area. A lot of us choose to live in that area in an effort to have the amenities of Tucson while being away from it all at home. Its a good balance, and I think you might want to look into Vail if you do choose Tucson.

Good luck Tonilee, to you and your husband! Oh, and by the way, I personally really miss Michigan. I am from Ann Arbor.

You can take a sneek peek at Sedona here:
Official website of the Sedona Tourism Bureau (Arizona)
We moved here from Michigan as well. I thought I'd miss the snow/fall/leaves/winter etc. But after spending 28 days there (December 4th to Jan 1st) I was SO anxious to get back 'home' here in Tucson. The weather was all over the map there. Sleet/freezing rain. 12" of snow in a week. Everything melting. Even a 60 degree day there (I checked the weather and it was actually FREEZING here in Tucson (the day y'all got some flakes I suppose) when it was 60 in Ann Arbor. But most of all the lack of sun. We saw spotty sun some days and I bet 2-3 whole days of sun. I always knew it was sporadic in the winter there but I was climbing the walls. I miss my family and all but I'm so happy with what I have here.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
I grew up in Tucson and loved it. I think there is so much to do in the area, easy to travel to many different places and great restaurants. Housing is very affordable! You'll find a lot of people from the east coast have moved to sunnier pastures!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,984,637 times
Why not post something in the Albuquerque threads for some balance or are you focused on Tucson? As you've said before there's already a ton of Tucson vs Albuquerque discussions.

I moved TO Michigan but get back to Tucson regularly to mind my financial interests. Michigan is an awesome place, my only regret being that I didn't move there earlier. Take it slowly if considering the move, maybe a trial by renting at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson