Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Yup, it looks like the honeymoon is over...sure, I enjoyed the monsoon thunderstorms, the different scenery, and heck, I still love the food...but too much overshadows those small joys:

Since I moved here in August, I have tried...tried to make it work, tried to enjoy it, and tried to get on with what I am here for....but that door is closing fast.

When I see many, many students who have graduated from this state's grade school system come to my office or write me an email...and they can barely communicate properly or use proper etiquette when communicating with professors/graduate students...I can feel certain that the future of this state grows dimmer by the minute. Things were not this bad in other states I've been to and lived in...even Florida, which I am famous for not liking. Ever been to the Foothills Mall on a Friday night? The way these kids handle themselves...is unbelievable. It truly is sad.
Could part of this problem be a school system that is overwhelmed with Mexican students who either speak very little or no English at all? This causes a major drag on the school system; this puts a serious handicap on teachers who now must spend less time with each student, and slows the speed of learning. It also causes English speaking students to get board more easily. Immigration is slowly, but surely destroying our country, our resources, and our budgets.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
So, in summary, I am sorry Arizona...Tucson...UofA...I'm sorry that I lost what little connection I had to you in the beginning of my time here. However, I feel that if I do not leave soon, I will completely lose my mind and have to be institutionalized. Unfortunately, I do not know when I can leave.
Sorry it didn't work out for you in AZ. Sometimes it takes awhile (1 year or 2) to get adjusted to a new area. Thanks for your insight. We will take your thoughts into consideration if we ever want to live there. We were considering retiring in AZ. They have some great retirement communities in Phoenix.
Out of curiosity where did you move from?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Yeah. That looks like it'd be nice for the two months that it's warm up there and not looking like this...

Man, you can keep that cold weather. Give me this any day:

2 months? Obviously you have never been to Michigan. And you call a picture of sand, cactus, and barren mountains beautiful?
Sorry...even though its nice for a few minutes of looking at it, you cant tell me most people wouldnt get tired of the same thing day after day after day. At least here you have 4 distinct times of year that make you appreciate how awesome each one is. I admit I do get tired of winter by February, but it makes me really appreciate the spring and summer. But by the end of september I am tired of the heat and humidity. And welcome fall and winter. I respect each persons opinion, I could just never imagine going through a year of pretty much the same weather. And winter is pretty darned awesome if you just get out and find things to do.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
The weather out here is like eating the store brand of vanilla ice cream every day.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
2 months? Obviously you have never been to Michigan. And you call a picture of sand, cactus, and barren mountains beautiful?
I do, actually. I often times think to myself how lucky I am to live here. Incomprehensible to some, I know, but that's how I feel.

Quote:
Sorry...even though its nice for a few minutes of looking at it, you cant tell me most people wouldnt get tired of the same thing day after day after day. At least here you have 4 distinct times of year that make you appreciate how awesome each one is. I admit I do get tired of winter by February, but it makes me really appreciate the spring and summer. But by the end of september I am tired of the heat and humidity. And welcome fall and winter. I respect each persons opinion, I could just never imagine going through a year of pretty much the same weather. And winter is pretty darned awesome if you just get out and find things to do.
I'm glad it works for ya. I see the beauty in where you live too. I just want no part of severe winters for myself (or humidity for that matter).

Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Please, just stop. There is no more intolerant group on the planet than the self appointed police of political correctness. Talk about complete intolerance of ideas that differ from their own.
Well, I think you need look no further than the last eight years to prove my point. Stay the course...it's hard work...

Now look at the mess we are in. But I don't want to get off on a tangent. My point is this place will only go further downhill. That is the point.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:06 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
The weather out here is like eating the store brand of vanilla ice cream every day.
Actually, my beef really isn't with the weather so much. Oh sure, I am DREADING another long hot summer.

Rather, since I've been here, there is nothing to do THAT INTERESTS ME. However, it's all relative. I made the HUGE mistake of moving here from a very interesting place and I am paying the price.

It was MY fault, before anyone jumps on me telling me it was my fault and to get outta dodge.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
I do, actually. I often times think to myself how lucky I am to live here. Incomprehensible to some, I know, but that's how I feel.

I'm glad it works for ya. I see the beauty in where you live too. I just want no part of severe winters for myself (or humidity for that matter).
Agreed The winter is definately not for everyone, just like the heat.
I'm sure if we switched states for a while, we would each find some amazing things that we really like, that we never thought we would.
I think for the people who enjoy 4 seasons, its the anticipation of each one. It really gives you something to look forward too. I guess I just like to have things always changing so I do not get too bored.
Actually that picture of the lake in winter you posted, is something very beautiful to see in person. Especially a Lake Superior winter. Quite amazing.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, I think you need look no further than the last eight years to prove my point. Stay the course...it's hard work...

Now look at the mess we are in. But I don't want to get off on a tangent. My point is this place will only go further downhill. That is the point.
Just as a general rule, I kind of wish CityData would ban political discussion at all, to tell you the truth. Really poisons the well sometimes. I guess it'd be impossible though, when discussing the merits/demerits of cities and states, since much of the way a place is, has to do with decisions made by government.

Mainly, I'd rather avoid the ad hominem (like it'll go downhill solely because there's a Republican at the state house) and stick to specifics (what specific policies do you think will make that happen). Stays far less nasty that way.

Anyway, sorry, don't mean to go off on a tangent.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Agreed The winter is definately not for everyone, just like the heat.
I'm sure if we switched states for a while, we would each find some amazing things that we really like, that we never thought we would.
I lived in Massachusetts as a young man for 4 years. Liked it very much. New England is beautiful to me. If I had to live in a cold weather place, that'd be where I'd go.

Anyway, best to you, michmoldman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson