Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:44 AM

63 posts, read 230,678 times

Advertisements

Hello Arizonans! I am so jealous of your weather right now as it snowing and the wind is blowing here in WV.

I will be in Tucson in mid March for a few days for business/job pursuits. I cannot frickin wait! I was in the area last year through the military but I am on my own this time. It was so beautiful with the mountains and the desert surrounding the area.

Things on my list to do are: to visit the San Xavier del Bac Mission, go on some arduous, but beautiful hikes and eat some great Mexican food.

Being an outdoor freak and having a special appreciation for the Hispanic and American Indian cultures, I would like to know what I should do and see while I am there.

In everyones' opinion, what are the don't miss events/areas to make this an ultimate experience for me in Tucson?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,045 times
Default Things to do and see in Tucson

For hiking in the Tucson area here is a great link with info.
Tucson Hiking Guide

A few other things to do and see

Karchner Caverns For that spelunker spirit if you have one!

Pima Air Museum in addition to the museum, don't miss the famous "boneyard", basically a junkyard for military aircraft.

Saguaro national Monument Gives you a great feel for the true beauty of the Sonoran desert.

Chicago Store Downtown store, the original one. If you are a music buff of any kind, or a collector of any kind, this is a truly unique Tucson experience.

Have a GREAT visit to Tucson

Rick

Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
I will be in Tucson in mid March for a few days for business/job pursuits.
You might be here for the 4th Avenue Street Fair. For some reason its own site is down right now.

The next Street Fair is March 20, 21, 22, 2009. The Street Fair takes place between Ninth Street and University Blvd. along Fourth Avenue.

Fourth Avenue Street Fair

Definitely go to Sabino Canyon - Sabino Canyon Recreational Area

It'll still be cold on Mt. Lemmon and you want to warm up your frozen bones , so you may not want to go all the way to the top, but at least take a drive on Catalina Highway up to the first few picnic areas.

Sabino Canyon Recreational Area

catalina highway - Google Image Search

Go also West on Gates Pass (try to be there around sunset) and to Desert Museum.

gates pass - Google Image Search

You might be lucky to see wild flowers as well at this time.

Quote:
Things on my list to do are: to visit the San Xavier del Bac Mission, go on some arduous, but beautiful hikes and eat some great Mexican food.
Get some Indian Fry Bread while you're there. Not that you can miss it... Pick the fattest vendor!

Have fun! You're coming at a very good time! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
Seven Falls is a very good hike, not sure if the water is running this time of year or not though I have not been there since last summer.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 AM

63 posts, read 230,678 times
Default Thanks!

Wow, that is more than enough things to fill up the four days and three nights that I will be in Tucson. I cannot wait!

Thank you all very much.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
The San Xavier church is very nice, definetly worth the drive out of Tucson.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM

474 posts, read 1,067,014 times
I second hiking Seven Falls. It probably is running this time of year.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Also, if you want to go to an excellent zoo, visit the Sonora Desert Museum, on the west side of Tucson. I'd visit Sabino Canyon on the east side, stroll down 4th Avenue and see the Congress Hotel with the cafe--a must see! Try to see the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB, if possible--that's an unbelievable sight with all the old planes sitting. Visit the Kitt Peak observatory to the south of Tucson, if you can.
As for food, Mi Nidito's Mexican Food is unbelievable in South Tucson--don't miss it!
Also, Cafe Poca Cosa downtown is outstanding....for amazing sandwiches, go to Sausage Deli north of the U of A campus.

Have a great trip! I loved Tucson and miss the weather, open space, and gorgeous sites there....

Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,218 times
A MUST is dinner at Pinacle Peak Steak House (Food Network rated as the BEST)offers shops and entertainment, very affordable!. Reid Park Zoo is a great place, beautifully designed, with lots of shade trees. Down I19 you get to the historic Mission of Tumacacori, and on the way back a walk around Tubac! All in one aternoon!

Last edited by heez10; 03-06-2009 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: more complete info.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 PM

474 posts, read 1,067,014 times
Yes, go to the Congress Hotel. What a cool hotel! And the food at the Cup Cafe is excellent, especially breakfast. One night while you are here, you should drive up Catalina Hwy to the first lookout(can't recall the name). It is only a few miles up. The views are incredible; city lights, mountain silhouettes, and you won't believe the stars. I haven't seen that many stars, since I lived in Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson