Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 PM

38 posts, read 91,602 times

Advertisements

(Ok, I was trying to be fair and unbiased, but I will let you know that St. Mary's, the hospital down the road, will not let their nurses or staff walk out to their cars alone because of incidents that have happened there)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I had to go about 35 or 40 miles a few weeks ago and it took 2.5 hours. I'm sure it couldn't be that bad in Tucson.
This mileage easily takes 1-1.5 hours - non-rush hour. Have you not heard - there are NO cross-town freeways!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 AM

19 posts, read 171,372 times
Default Let me Know what you find out

Hi Holamis: I'd be interested in hearing how things turn out for you. I'm in the same boat...want to relocate early next year and have never even been there. Not sure how smart that is but I feel ready to settle in somewhere and Tucson seems like a good mix of all the things I like to do. Please keep in touch and let me know what you learn. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:48 AM

7 posts, read 10,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHuny View Post
(Ok, I was trying to be fair and unbiased, but I will let you know that St. Mary's, the hospital down the road, will not let their nurses or staff walk out to their cars alone because of incidents that have happened there)
Not sure where you got that info from. I have friends at that hospital who never got that memo. The Anklam side of the hospital is the main road, well lit, with cops always around the ER area. The only thing which you gotta be careful about is don't start crossing road without walk signal (as a lot of nurses there appear to do).

As for the dark back side (also called anklam), there are always a plenty of cars parked there by young people who are going hiking (or something). I have driven there at 10pm (coming back from gym) and seen young girls in short shorts and sports bra and such, so I doubt it is that bad of an area.

I live just west of greasewood and Anklam and it is a very nice area. Never heard of crime in neighborhood in past 5 years, the views are very nice (Starr Pass and all), and it is home to many fairly expensive homes.

I myself will move to North Tucson in couple of months to be near my friends and all, but have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this area.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,035 times
As a real estate agent, I can't legally tell you whether one neighborhood is "nicer" than another (and the fact that one person's definition of "nice" is different from another's) - however, these links might be helpful for you:

Tucson Police Department Interactive Crime Maps: http://tpdinternet.tucsonaz.gov/Stats/Def.aspx

Pima County Sheriff Crime Maps
: http://www.pimasheriff.org/Page/506/Show.aspx

[color=Black]Just copy & paste the links into your browser - and you can get information on any address or area in the Tucson Metro.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 11-21-2009 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Removed advertisement of personal blog...

Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM

38 posts, read 91,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbanme View Post
Not sure where you got that info from. I have friends at that hospital who never got that memo. The Anklam side of the hospital is the main road, well lit, with cops always around the ER area. The only thing which you gotta be careful about is don't start crossing road without walk signal (as a lot of nurses there appear to do).

As for the dark back side (also called anklam), there are always a plenty of cars parked there by young people who are going hiking (or something). I have driven there at 10pm (coming back from gym) and seen young girls in short shorts and sports bra and such, so I doubt it is that bad of an area.

I live just west of greasewood and Anklam and it is a very nice area. Never heard of crime in neighborhood in past 5 years, the views are very nice (Starr Pass and all), and it is home to many fairly expensive homes.

I myself will move to North Tucson in couple of months to be near my friends and all, but have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this area.
When my brother was a nurse there, he was told that and helped a lot of the female nurses to their cars every night, and that was the general rule. I don't know if it is still in place, but was going off of that knowledge.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:11 PM

40 posts, read 120,314 times
I have to weigh in for anyone else who's considering moving to the West Side. I live just north of Pima Community College and I love the area. It's quiet and safe and there are nice, reasonably priced neighborhoods - and upscale areas, too. It's so safe, I often forget to lock my car (in the carport) and my roommate usually leaves the front door unlocked. (She shouldn't but she does.) I've never felt unsafe.

You can find some great neighborhoods in and near Starr Pass; Desert Montage subdivision off West Anklam; the Whispering Bells area off Ironwood Hill, etc. It's a quick ride to I-10 and best of all, there are tons of hiking trails and washes in the area - some of my favorites are Starr Pass, Saguaro National Park West and the new Sweetwater Preserve.

I agree with other posters that it's best to avoid areas between I-10 and Silverbell. Look west of Greasewood and you should be fine. The only thing we lack, IMHO, is a Trader Joe's and some better, more varied restaurants. Mostly we have bar food and Mexican.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM

31 posts, read 94,749 times
I've worked in the area near that Pima branch. It's definitely a place you don't want to walk alone. If you're taking night classes, ask if the college has a safety patrol that will walk you to your car. If I had a choice, I'd choose another branch, perhaps NW area. I'm moving from NW (Marana) to be closer to downtown. It's also an area where you have to be alert but I can't say I've ever been afraid. If you're taking AM classes check out the SunTran routes to see where you can get an express bus. As a student monthly passes are dirt cheap. You can live on the outskirts and enjoy a pleasant ride instead of the hassle of driving. BTW, the downtown Pima branch does not have SunTran access except if you hike a bit or take the local shuttle to a SunTran stop.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 AM

31 posts, read 94,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbanme View Post
My first question is why are the cops always around? Also with the budget crunch I doubt cops will be around much longer. You're blessed to have had no problems. Take a look at the crime stats for the area.

Last edited by Sssunfish; 12-20-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: http://spotcrime.com/az/tucson

Old 12-24-2009, 06:14 AM

153 posts, read 522,350 times
I recommend for anyone moving to Tucson to get a concealed permit first thing. Or at least a very good pepper spray. I have never seen so many loose large breed dogs (talking pits etc) in my life than on the West side. Sometimes I have a feeling that the shelter on Silverbell sets a few free by "accident."
In Tucson I always get the uneasy feeling that crime can happen anywhere at anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson