Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 PM

41 posts, read 161,804 times

Advertisements

My wife is under pressure to make a quick decision about whether to attend graduate school in Tucson or Washington DC. We’ll be moving from Ann Arbor, Michigan, so either of these cities implies a big change. Given that these are two totally different cities, we are interested in hearing the thoughts and opinions of people familiar with both. Neither of us has ever been to Tucson and we are just barley familiar with DC.

My wife is originally from southern Spain so the desert heat is not a concern. While she loves urban life, we have both grown to really appreciate the “college-town” atmosphere of Ann Arbor and we love being able to walk/bike to stores, restaurants etc. The gated community suburban lifestyle is not our thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad74 View Post
My wife is originally from southern Spain so the desert heat is not a concern. While she loves urban life, we have both grown to really appreciate the “college-town” atmosphere of Ann Arbor and we love being able to walk/bike to stores, restaurants etc. The gated community suburban lifestyle is not our thing.
Another No Brainer, Nomad . . . TUCSON

Washington will never qualify as a "Walk / Bike College Town" in a million years.

Problem solved!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:47 PM

209 posts, read 590,898 times
That's a pretty broad question. But based on what you said in your post, I can say the following:

Tucson is a low-density sunbelt city where everyone who can possibly afford it owns a car and uses it for 99% of their transportation needs. Commercial development (i.e. stores and restaurants) is clustered along 4-6 lane arterial roads that are half a mile to one mile apart. The concept of a "corner market" or a neighborhood pub or pizza joint close enough to walk to from your home is pretty much unknown in Tucson. And walking in general (other than for exercise) is pretty much unknown as well.

That being said, parts of Tucson are fairly bike-friendly, especially in the university area. Your vision of a city of gated communities only applies to the fringes of Tucson. Very few of the houses and apartment complexes in the city limits are in gated communities.

DC is another story entirely. Within the District, you are much more likely to find walkable neighborhoods and rely on public trans to get around. You'd probably do better to ask people on the DC forum about the area around the particular school your wife is considering (which you may already have done).

If you want to know more about Tucson, you probably should ask more specific questions.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. Kevin J, your answer about the lack of "corner market" and neighborhood pubs is quite insightful. This is one of our greatest concerns about Tucson. My wife is accustomed to European cities where you can walk to the bakery, the meat market etc. She’s definitely not into the car culture (in fact, she doesn’t even drive).

I understand that my original post is very broad. Just curious to hear general impressions from people familiar with both places. I’ll try to post more focused questions in the future.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:37 PM

If your wife doesn't drive (and doesn't intend to start driving) then she will be very dependent on you to get around Tucson and/or your choices for where to live in Tucson will be limited to the university area.

You didn't mention anything about what you will be doing while your wife is in school. If you'll be looking for a job, you should take into account the limitations of the Tucson job market compared to DC. Salaries are much lower in Tucson as well, but so is the cost of living.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM

What about public transportation in Tucson? I assume we will live near the university or on a bus line that goes by the university.

Very good point about job prospects and cost of living. Yes, I will be looking for a job and the Tucson economy is something that I’ve been investigating. I’m pretty confident that DC would offer greater opportunity in that regard. Of course, I suppose a person could commute to Phoenix but that seems pretty horrendous.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Bus service around the university is decent. The key is finding a place to live that would involve riding only one bus with no transfers. Also, late nights at the library would be out, since most bus service ends by 9pm.

You really don't want to commute to Phoenix. Those crazy enough to do it tend to live on the far northwest side of Tucson near the freeway that goes to Phoenix to shave 30 minutes or more off of their commute. That's not an option for you because of your wife, thus you're guaranteed a two-hour commute at the very least.

It may not be impossible to find a job in Tucson, but I just wanted you to recognize before you make any decisions that the Tucson economy is built on the military, the university, retirees, and low-wage service jobs (telephone customer service centers, hotels, etc.) Some large corporations have operations there that employ large numbers of professionals (e.g. Raytheon and IBM), but they are the exception, not the rule.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 PM

Thanks Kevin J. Your responses have been very helpful.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,796 times
Very difficult to compare. Within both places you have some of the richest and some of the poorest people on the planet.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:42 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,508,183 times
Which schools??? If she's in at Georgetown, then absolutely go to DC b/c no school in Tucson is in that league.

In thinking about this for a minute, I'd choose DC over Tucson if the school are "equal" too. D.C. is a GREAT place to live for a few years. There is so much going on, it's a really livable city, lots of green parks, water, etc. Interesting, educated, international, diverse, fun people galore. It's also a transient city--many are there for only a few years, which I didn't like when living there as friends kept leaving (!) but if you are only going for a few years, I can think of few better places to be for a grad. student.

Just so you know, I don't say that b/c I have anything against Tucson. I love Tucson and would choose Tucson over a LOT of other places. But at your stage in life, and for grad school, I don't think you can beat DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson