Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 PM

415 posts, read 1,681,439 times

Advertisements

Posted here since this is a very local question. I am considering switching ships and want your honest opinions. I would be leaving a large firm and going way smaller (as far as agents, market share, etc.)

Let's say you don't have a relative or friend in the business, how would you go about picking a realtor? Does it matter what broker they work with? Are you more interested in the BIG name guys or do you avoid them?

What factors are important to you and why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
I'd actually try to get a recommendation from a trusted friend or relative if I didn't already know a realtor....word of mouth is important....

articles say a client needs to "interview" a realtor if you don't know one and ask how they'll work for you....this could be a very "scripted" conversation and I don't think an interview would be a good way to find somebody you like.....

the best realtors know a lot of people, work hard, stay in touch, know the biz, read every contract word-by-word....

if in a new town and looking at open houses, I'll look for a realtor who is low-key, unpretentious, seems familiar with the area, and doesn't jump on me looking to immediately show me houses

if your current situation is going OK, I'd stick with it....starting over in this market could be a disaster.....I know a couple very sociable, educated people who are trying to be realtors now and aren't making it...it takes years to build up a following....

Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
OK, you want honesty – you’ll get honesty. I’ve read quite a few bad reviews about your “large” company, so I’ll think twice before working with somebody under their umbrella.

I’d probably get recommendations from people I know and look for them online, too. Having been in business locally for a long time is also important to me as are the designations to some extent. I’d want to get a good vibe from the person and hopefully signs of honesty and integrity. Personality match also matters. Anybody who tries to outtalk me and rush me is out.

As a buyer, I’d ideally want to work with an exclusive buyer’s agent because I don’t want the conflict of interest should I happen to like one of the agent’s listings. There isn’t much of a choice in this area, though, and I made a major mistake – twice!

I haven’t been a seller, but on this side I’d wanna see a proven record of sales in a timely manner and at a price close to the asking price, meaning the agent is knowledgeable and realistic. Yes, I know, many times this subject is out of their hands and it’s not exactly their fault the house sits on the market forever. I’d wanna know how exactly they plan to market the house, what kind of pictures, video tours, etc. they’re going to do. The description, pictures, and videos should be run by me first before appearing anywhere. I don’t see getting the listing up on the MLS a day or two earlier without pictures as any gain. You actually lose the most interest. The first few days are crucial – buyers pretty much know what’s on the market and a brand new listing always catches their attention. That’s the kind of BS my ex-husband’s agent did while listing his house for sale. Drove me nuts! I also would like the agent to have quite a few listings, which to me means they’re in demand. We happened to buy a house from an agent. Her own house was her only listing… Would I hire her? NO! Of course, there’s a fine line here… if they have too many listings they may not have enough time to properly handle yours… so some happy medium is needed.

Some personal touches are nice, too – like helping you perhaps stage the home or helping you keeping it clean (working with the cleaning and/or landscaping services) should you have to leave it empty, be out of town, and have nobody left there to do it for you.

That’s what comes to my mind for the time being.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Shoot, looks like honest opinions are not THAT appreciated after all, or even noticed!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Shoot, looks like honest opinions are not THAT appreciated after all, or even noticed!
I, for one, appreciated... and even noticed your honest opinion(s), Sierra!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
I, for one, appreciated... and even noticed your honest opinion(s), Sierra!
I meant the babies, of course. It's kinda strange to be around and not care for your own thread, I'd say...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I meant the babies, of course. It's kinda strange to be around and not care for your own thread, I'd say...
Nah... 2JulyBabe is always around. Lately, intermittently... but, always around.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Nah... 2JulyBabe is always around. Lately, intermittently... but, always around.
Ha-ha, ZP, perhaps you should aspire to a career in diplomacy! Meteorology is not that good for ya... you know that!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Yep! 2JulyBabe can be forgiven if she has seemed to be a bit distant and aloof of late...

She received a few roundhouse sucker punches which came in from the left and from the right. She took some unexpected blows on the chin, as well as a couple of head butts from the One whose Name shall not be spoken! The Babe kept on standing and fought back heroically and ferociously. She was a trooper!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Meteorology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: