Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Guess his followers give him a bad name then as most of them are the most intolerant folks one ever encounters.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
"Guess his followers give him a bad name then as most of them are the most intolerant folks one ever encounters."

"you'll see how many racists/far righters live here"

I guess if you're not an athiest and liberal, you are an intolerant, racist, right-wing radical.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I guess if you're not an athiest and liberal, you are an intolerant, racist, right-wing radical.

I no longer care about politics. If it weren't for local issues, I wouldn't even go to the presidential elections and I didn't vote for either head of the two-headed monster.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:55 PM

95 posts, read 307,284 times
Quote:
I no longer care about politics. If it weren't for local issues, I wouldn't even go to the presidential elections and I didn't vote for either head of the two-headed monster.
I don't blame anyone for feeling that way.

The appearance is that it doesn't matter who you vote for and that it's all actually decided by corruption money... it would be hard to argue with the statement "the system is broken".

But I have faith in people and my gut tells me we will be better off in the long run.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:05 PM

106 posts, read 364,471 times
I rather like the systems that have a NON-vote. In this system you can choose to vote but for none of the candidates. If a certain percentage (varies with the country) chooses the NON-vote, elections must be held again and NONE of the candidates from the previous election can run again for the same office.

I also like the Mexican campaign period. You only have to put up with the candidates on TV, radio and in publications, even those nuisance phone calls in the middle of dinner, for two months before the election!! None of the campaigning for seemingly endless months. What do you think? Does it have possibilities for the other countries????

Have a great day.
Joseph

Old 07-31-2009, 02:14 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joskel View Post
I rather like the systems that have a NON-vote. ... What do you think? Does it have possibilities for the other countries????
I like it in theory. Wonder if it has ever had the effect of causing more than a couple of votes. Seems like it would be a way for you to express your displeasure with the two candidates and have it actually mean something.

Wonder how many actually do use the NON-vote though. Often times when we don't like the two candidates, we vote for one of them anyway, because we dislike him less than the other guy. And there'd be the risk that the guy you dislike more's supporters wouldn't play the 'NON' game, so he'd get in over the guy you disliked less. There's some risk involved in that strategy.

Intriguing though.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
I like it in theory. Wonder if it has ever had the effect of causing more than a couple of votes. Seems like it would be a way for you to express your displeasure with the two candidates and have it actually mean something.

Wonder how many actually do use the NON-vote though. Often times when we don't like the two candidates, we vote for one of them anyway, because we dislike him less than the other guy. And there'd be the risk that the guy you dislike more's supporters wouldn't play the 'NON' game, so he'd get in over the guy you disliked less. There's some risk involved in that strategy.

Intriguing though.
I was planning to do the non-vote thing at the last presidential elections, but figured it makes for a better statement to actually pick somebody other than the two. Not that anybody cares about my statement...; it just made ME feel better.

I think if fewer people thought they should vote for the lesser of the two evils, the results might be actually surprising. Provided the results have anything to do with real counting that is...

Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"Guess his followers give him a bad name then as most of them are the most intolerant folks one ever encounters."

"you'll see how many racists/far righters live here"

I am agnostic, not liberal, not racist, but am a member of the vast right-wing conspiracy!

Quote:
I was planning to do the non-vote thing at the last presidential elections, but figured it makes for a better statement to actually pick somebody other than the two. Not that anybody cares about my statement...; it just made ME feel better.

I think if fewer people thought they should vote for the lesser of the two evils, the results might be actually surprising. Provided the results have anything to do with real counting that is...
Why vote for the lesser of two evils when you can vote for the one TRUE evil!? Vote Cthulhu '12!!

http://bookstoysgames.files.wordpres...ng?w=420&h=420

Old 07-31-2009, 05:18 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,631 times
Quote:
I was planning to do the non-vote thing at the last presidential elections, but figured it makes for a better statement to actually pick somebody other than the two. Not that anybody cares about my statement...; it just made ME feel better....
Brava, Sierra. I'm sure you did the right thing. I was sure I'd do that too, but in the end, I held my nose and voted for one of em. I felt like a turd doing it too.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM

643 posts, read 2,054,194 times
Was anyone else completely cow-eyed about Obama - like... you really believed it? I was so happy to stand in the rain before the sun came up and vote for him. And then he won and I kind of got all teary thinking he'd make everyone rich and happy overnight like some sort of weird post-war fantasy...

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thed...-dinner-lg.jpg

Now, I just sort of feel like an ass - not because he was the wrong choice, because he was definitely the lesser evil - but because I fell for it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson