Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 PM

12 posts, read 30,047 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'll be moving to Tulsa soon, and I need to find an apartment. I'll be teaching at Bryant Elementary, and would like to live within a 10-15 minute drive of the school. I'd also like to pay no more than around $500/month for 1 bedroom apartment. And since I'm a young, single female, a safe* neighborhood is a must!

So far, I've found the website for the Compass Pointe apartments on 29 N. Lakewood, but I know nothing about the neighborhood. I don't know where else to begin looking!

* I know "safe" is a relative term. Just tell me what you think, anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:18 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Tulsa is full of apts for rent around and under the price range. You can go to rent.com and fill in your criteria and it does the searching for you.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Personally, I would not move to that area. The area is very run down looking. The airport is nearby which would probably be loud too. Here is a link to the Tulsa Police Website. Tulsa Police Department You might be able to find out more about crime from there.

I would suggest checking out the apartments in Owasso. Owasso appears to be a relatively good distance from the school. Overall, it appears to be a nice town. You can do online searches for apartment reviews. Call the local police department to check on a specific area if you found something you like.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
29 N Lakewood is sandwiched between Admiral and I-244 just west of Sheridan. It is in one of the more "tired" parts of the city, with nothing really going on. However Bryant Elementary is on Virgin about 3-4 miles away, and would be close to where you live. It would also put you relatively close to just about any of the hot spots in town. Cherry Street area is about 5-10 minutes west, the blue dome district is even less with 244 adjacent to both areas. You will be about 10 minutes from the 71st and the 41st and Yale street shopping and restaurant areas.

Rents should be low. I doubt there is a lot of crime in the area, but it is going to be populated by blue collar workers. As with any apartments anywhere, keep your stuff out of your car at night, but other than that I would have no problem living there.....in fact, I can think of lots worse areas.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 PM

12 posts, read 30,047 times
I've lived in "tired" areas, where I make sure my door is locked and I don't want to leave my stuff in my car at night. That's not a problem. I would just rather not have to worry too much about leaving my house at night, or that someone might break into my house. (Once again, I know that what worries one person might not worry another, though!)

I did like the location of 29 N Lakewood, as far as I could see from the map, since it's close to the school, as well as Cherry Street and other hot spots. (I don't need to live right in an exciting area, but wouldn't want to be too far from the places where things are happening.) The main thing I was concerned about was it being close to the airport. I did want to know about all the stuff that you can't tell by just looking at the map, though, so what you all have been saying has been helpful!

Living further from my school is still an option, whether in Owasso or South Tulsa or somewhere else, but it would be nice to be close to my school, as well as to the hot spots in Tulsa (especially since I have friends living in Midtown and South Tulsa.)

Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
I know inner Tulsa proper pretty well and I doubt that area is bad. Things like 'safe' and 'tried hood' are relative to what one is use to if there isn't a constant fear of drive-bys or gang activity, IMO.

Azalea93, pretty much everything in mid Tulsa is close to things that are happening, LOL. We're not that big here, but if you move out to the burbs like Broken Arrow or Owasso you'll be much further from the action and hot spots. To me, those areas are more geared for family life that does NOT want to be near the action. To me, the burbs are super boring and blah. And I'm 51, LOL. Owasso is a growing little town and is quite popular right now. You could easily find a safe place there probably. It's a long way from downtown Tulsa, though.

I think a good guage for safety is the type of apartment complex. Apartment complexes can be hot spots for crime due to the design of the buildings, regardless of where they're located. Apartment buildings like the older brown stone style seem safer to me while the complexes that have building spread out over a lot of land seem to make for eaiser crime targets. Just my opinion.

On both sides of 15th, aka, Cherry St., between Peoria and Utica there are many, many apartment buildings. They are buildings and not the spread out complexes, the area is a hot spot, and my opinion is it's a safe area. It has a more city feel if you like that sort of thing.

Good luck with your search and your new job!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
Default Looking for an apartment in Tulsa!

I'm interested too! Can you offer something cheaper.

Квартиры посуточно в Тюмени
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa