Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times

Advertisements

starida, I haven't spent that much time in Tulsa, but I do like their alphabetical street names. Where do you live now?

Goodpasture, I agree. I have been to some bad neighborhoods in big cities (Chicago, St. Louis, San Francisco) where you see junkies lying all over the place and you could get robbed or something very easily in broad daylight. I think we exaggerate here about bad neighborhoods sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
I have only visited the northside 2 times. Having freinds in Tulsa I got lost with my directions one time a long time ago. I got stuck at a McDonalds trying to use a pay phone and to be frank I have never been more scared in my life. Now like I said this is around 8 years ago. My buddy read meters around that area and would tell me stupid stories like pitbulls dragging logs for strength in the streets. He wasnt kidding and he didnt care because at the time he lived in mtown living in a beautiful area. So he just blew it off. He now has a great position with UPS. I am very confident the northside has changed for the better by now. Things change dramatically with time.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,267 times
I have lived all over Tulsa in my life, and I never thought north side was too bad, you just need to keep aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,402 times
I've lived in North Tulsa more than half of my life. I'm 46 yrs old. Moved to Broken Arrow in '83 Brooklyn, NY in '91, Ocean, NJ in '03. Bought a house on Reservoir Hill '06. Back in the early'70's the Hill was beautiful. My family lived at the bottom of the Hill,there were three Safeway stores and a Redbud Grocery, Warehouse Market, in a five mile radius, Northland Shopping Center,Oklahoma Steel, Movie Theatres, Rexall Drug Store, Gas Stations, North Tulsa, past 36th street to Turley was mainly white until the '80's. After OK Steel closed, shopping closed after a tornado(Dillards, Frougs, Sears, TG&Y, Bordens Cafeteria to name a few) life dramatically changed. A town is only as strong as its weakest link. Crime is up all over Tulsa, it is so different from what I remember. We have to remember that sensational and biased stories sell papers and keep us watching the tube. We don't hear nearly all what is happening in the city. Loss of employers and neglect of maintence north of Admiral will turn all of Tulsa into more of a has been city.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM

12 posts, read 35,208 times
If my memory serves me correctly the places that were going downhill when I was growing up there were from 36th St N on north and west of Lewis. We moved from that area about 25 years ago (the entire house) and the lot is still empty. Most of the kids I grew up with and went to Walt Whitman with are either dead, in jail or got smart and moved away. Hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,154 times
Cool A Little Late But oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbiceps View Post
Can someone clarify where the northside is on a map? Where does the Northside start (what street or blvd or ave or highway)? Is the International Airport on the Northside?

The North side starts@ Broadway 100 blk looking @ Catlina Moutains

west & east start and stop on Stone Ave

remember Ave's are North to South/ West & East are Streets

have a good day

Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonGuy View Post
The North side starts@ Broadway 100 blk looking @ Catlina Moutains

west & east start and stop on Stone Ave

remember Ave's are North to South/ West & East are Streets

have a good day
Uh, I think you posted in the wrong thread TucsonGuy. The Catalina Mountains and Stone Avenue are in Tucson, LOL..

Good job on your first post!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 AM

420 posts, read 479,327 times
Okay let the Louisiana guy chime in on this, As a soon to be resident in tulsa, I am absorbing all of this information of the things you guys are saying in here. I have been hearing alot about this Northside and how bad it is. They say that its a high crime area. Im kinda in the beginning stages of research, but isnt that the historically black area, and has a high number of African Americans there. I have to brief for now but, do this for me, Research Louisiana ranks in crime compared to Oklahoma's. Until to have seen prostitutes serving policeman, people shooting people in broad daylight, lawyers pulling out an illegal army weapon on a man trying to rob him at a red light......u do not know crime Oklahoma until u have lived in Louisiana. So stop all of that talk about crime, your probably in the top ranks of one of the safer states. I just read something about Broken Arrow ranking high among the cities with low crime rates. If you have one of those near by, your city cant be all that bad. Because if you have one section that is so bad, it will affect the rest of the city greatly. Same can be said for a section that is so good, like Broken Arrow.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Okay let the Louisiana guy chime in on this, As a soon to be resident in tulsa, I am absorbing all of this information of the things you guys are saying in here. I have been hearing alot about this Northside and how bad it is. They say that its a high crime area. Im kinda in the beginning stages of research, but isnt that the historically black area, and has a high number of African Americans there. I have to brief for now but, do this for me, Research Louisiana ranks in crime compared to Oklahoma's. Until to have seen prostitutes serving policeman, people shooting people in broad daylight, lawyers pulling out an illegal army weapon on a man trying to rob him at a red light......u do not know crime Oklahoma until u have lived in Louisiana. So stop all of that talk about crime, your probably in the top ranks of one of the safer states. I just read something about Broken Arrow ranking high among the cities with low crime rates. If you have one of those near by, your city cant be all that bad. Because if you have one section that is so bad, it will affect the rest of the city greatly. Same can be said for a section that is so good, like Broken Arrow.
Hi LL,
You are correct; the North side is predominantly African American. The crime rate is higher there, but nothing compared to places like East St. Louis or New Orleans. Most of the crime is theft and such. IMO, the leadership of Tulsa should put more effort into revitalizing the area. Before the Tulsa race riot in the 20s that area was known as "Black Wall Street" because so many African Americans had prosperous business there, many of them multi-millionaires. Since then, the area has pretty much stagnated and more crime is concentrated there than anywhere else in the city.

I hope the area rebounds and goes back to what it once was. There are a lot of good, hard-working people in North Tulsa, working to make that area better and they deserve some help.

In my sticky Tulsa Pictures thread there are some pictures of that area today. Below are a few:

Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 AM

68 posts, read 230,285 times
How's the crime rate doing now with the illegals leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa