Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:12 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times

Advertisements

Oh, there are tons as obvious from the tv site. This isn't tv related, but when I was living there in the mid 80s was the stretch when they were filming all of the movies in Tulsa (The Outsiders, Rumblefish, Tex, UHF). I almost landed an extra part in the "Wheel of Fish" on UHF! I didn't get in, but had friends who were in the audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 05:45 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Default TV Commercials - The Tulsa Way

Does anyone remember any good Tulsa TV commercials from the past? Anything off the top of your heads? Let's hear about it.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,380 times
How can you forget Cy Tuma? Peggy Shaber did the Coffee Break and she was my cousin. I grew up in Tulsa...but crossed the Red River 33 yrs. ago, but still come back for visits. Tulsa is and has always been a beautful city and a great place to raise children. How about Mazeppa? Gaylard Sartain....KELI, KAKC Radio..KRMG...can't think of that DJ's name offhand, but a very distinctive voice.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM

Cy Tuma also did voiceovers for KTUL's newscasts when I was a kid. I would be at Granny's watching Total 8 Tulsa at night. Great days.

Also, do any of you Tulsa fans remember a kid's show? I believe it aired on Sunday mornings on Channel 2. I think it was on at 6:30 am. It was called Time for Timothy. Do any of you remember this show from the 1970's? I know it involved a puppet and a host (not Lee and Lionel on Channel 6 -- I know who they are), and if you know, what was that show about??

Last edited by case44; 12-09-2007 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 12-10-2007, 05:14 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
All I remember is Uncle Zeb's Cartoon Circus or something like that... Good times.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,356 times
yes i remember uncle zeb,don woods, and king lionel. but i also remember romper room, john chick show,trying to get on uncle zeb's cartoon camp. and i also remeber when the camelot inn was a booming place. really sad to see it go and wish someone would have taken care of it and restored it. slowly but surely we are losing all our memories because of so called progress. even remember when bell's and the state fair was a happening thing.what about the saturday cartoons like the banana splits,wonder bug and many more. such good memories. or when the president came on there was nothing to watch because he was on all stations.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiva44 View Post
How can you forget Cy Tuma? Peggy Shaber did the Coffee Break and she was my cousin. I grew up in Tulsa...but crossed the Red River 33 yrs. ago, but still come back for visits. Tulsa is and has always been a beautful city and a great place to raise children. How about Mazeppa? Gaylard Sartain....KELI, KAKC Radio..KRMG...can't think of that DJ's name offhand, but a very distinctive voice.
A lot of you, uh, old-timers (should that be more experienced??) out there can't possibly forget KELI 1430. All the DJ's last names were Kelly. Truth be told, I wasn't around in its heyday, but I wish I had known about as a kid in the early 1970's. When I'd go to my grandparents' place in Muskogee, they had an old radio. Wish I listened to it more.

Back to TV, I still can't get over those weather dials on Channel 13 in Muskogee with the elevator music playing. LOL.

Also loved Cy Tuma's and Lee Woodward's top-of-the-hour ID's on 8 and 6, respectively.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 PM

31 posts, read 151,017 times
One of my favorites was Fantastic Theater on Channel 2. Absolutely terrible movies. It was hosted by the guy that used to emcee Oktoberfest- I believe his name was Joseph Hart?

And it's already been mentioned, but bears repeating- Mike does a great job with the Tulsa TV Memories site.

Tulsa TV Memories main page

Be sure to check out the Tulsa Tiki section!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,166 times
Cool TV or not TV...what a question!

Okay - so I've only lived here for, um, 24 years.
Prior to that, I used to visit a lot in the summer, back in the 1970's.

I recall seeing & enjoying Mazeppa Pompazoidi and his cast of zany guests.
Gaylord Sartain, Gary Busey and a host of other-worldly folks really made TV fun to watch.

When I moved to T-town to work at KJRH (Ch.2), Sherman Oaks and Pickle were on KOKI (Ch. 23).
Those guys were a riot.

When Sam Jones left Ch.2 and later popped up on KOTV (Ch. 6) for some late night talk show.
That didn't last too long, but it was fun, since I knew the man.

Also, back in the 1980's, KTUL and Charlie Mitchell (remember him? He owned a couple of good restaurants, until his libido got the best of him and when his wife found out that one of the waitresses was serving him up more than food, he lost it all) had a great Saturday night live gig at one of the Brookside hot spots - live music, interviews and cool stuff like that.
I don't recall the name of that show.

In the 1990's, a friend of mine at Ch. 2 - Jonathan Dylan - came up with the name "Tulsapalooza" and crafted a late night show on the deuce.
That was pretty hip, until management mangled it up.

Then somewhere in the late 1990's (or was it the early part of this century?), Ch. 23 had a too-hip guy & girl doing all sorts of weird schtick on late night.
That lasted a few months.
Very odd stuff, but it was different...and that make it refreshing.

Okay...my memory is tapped out...for now.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:17 AM

31 posts, read 151,017 times
Exclamation Night Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by docscholl View Post
Also, back in the 1980's, KTUL and Charlie Mitchell (remember him? He owned a couple of good restaurants, until his libido got the best of him and when his wife found out that one of the waitresses was serving him up more than food, he lost it all) had a great Saturday night live gig at one of the Brookside hot spots - live music, interviews and cool stuff like that.
I don't recall the name of that show.
It was called Night Shift, Jeannie Tripplehorn and Greg Roach hosted it.

I remember it well because my band the Insects played on that show circa 1984. We were later called Radio Milan. Here's a link to videos from that episode of the TV show...

blog.maduko.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa