Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM

43 posts, read 70,285 times

Advertisements

I recently visited family in Tulsa and was not prepared for how backward it seemed. Coming from Tennessee I was expecting a breath of western fresh air, but boy was I in for a surprise. I have never seen people open carry weapons anywhere except Tulsa and the amount of lifted trucks with brass balls hanging from the back was just appalling. Most people seemed like church going busy bodies as opposed to the smart modern professionals I was expecting from what the internet had described. I was up around Riverside area. So I am going back this summer any suggestions on the more progressive areas to hit up if there are any?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
I recently visited family in Tulsa and was not prepared for how backward it seemed. Coming from Tennessee I was expecting a breath of western fresh air, but boy was I in for a surprise. I have never seen people open carry weapons anywhere except Tulsa and the amount of lifted trucks with brass balls hanging from the back was just appalling. Most people seemed like church going busy bodies as opposed to the smart modern professionals I was expecting from what the internet had described. I was up around Riverside area. So I am going back this summer any suggestions on the more progressive areas to hit up if there are any?

Go north and try Kansas City. Sounds like it would be more your style.

>>>>>
trucks with brass balls hanging from the back was just appalling
<<<<<

Agree totally here. Anybody with those on their vehicle needs a good punch in the face.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times
The women down in OKC dig guys that have those on their trucks.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,187 times
Quote:
The "Riverside area" is a large area that stretches from downtown to Jenks. Where exactly were you at Riverside?

I'd suggest going to Cherry St, Brady District, Brookside or Blue Dome. I've been in Tulsa a few months now and haven't noticed any trucks with balls yet.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Because Oklahoma is so rural and natural for the most part. People close to nature are usually more practical and more connected to the earth - hence more into the conservation of nature- thus more conservative.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Unless you were here for the Color Run today, you weren't in Brookside. It sounds to me like you were at the Jenks Riverwalk. If that's the case, they likely were more South Tulsa. For all the open carry people, it is a new thing here so all the rednecks probably want to show off to all the other rednecks. Funny thing is that, if they were in possession of a beer, it is a felony and they get to lose their fashion accessory and live out a scene from "Cops". I haven't read about it occurring in the paper but I'm sure it will start at some point with a DA somewhere.

Truck balls are about the stupidest thing I can think of to put on a vehicle. A pair of fuzzy dice has more use than those stupid things.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
It's a catch-22 thing. The culture here is very conservative and those who are more apt to be liberal usually move away after high school or college. Those who stay get married and start having kids much younger than you typically see in other parts of the country. Tulsa is actually the most progressive part of the state and even it is very conservative compared to most metropolitan areas. I thought I was conservative until I moved to Oklahoma. What is conservative in most other states is actually moderate or even liberal here.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
A lot of Okies don't realize that being too far Right or Left is not a good thing. There needs to be balance. Oklahoma has swung too far to the right. There are some folks who think if your not a conservative then you are not welcomed in Oklahoma. I have a few family members who wont speak to me because of how I voted in the last election.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
A lot of Okies don't realize that being too far Right or Left is not a good thing. There needs to be balance. Oklahoma has swung too far to the right. There are some folks who think if your not a conservative then you are not welcomed in Oklahoma. I have a few family members who wont speak to me because of how I voted in the last election.
Sorry to hear they won't speak to you because of how you vote. That's one thing that makes Oklahoma different from other red states. The majority of people here are not very live and let live. That kind of thinking is common in rural areas of other Southern states but Oklahoma is unique because that culture also permeates the cities. I think that's because Oklahoma City and Tulsa hasn't see the wave of transplants other Sunbelt cities have seen.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 AM

374 posts, read 807,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Who are you to decide what is "too" anything? Oklahoma is part of the southern Bible belt. It's always been this way and it's probably not going to change anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa