Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:19 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times

Advertisements

71st and Lewis has always been commercial. I think you are talking about 71st and Harvard. Which, if you are, you should be aware that that specific intersection has about 30,000 cars a day on 71st and 18,000 cars a day passing on Harvard making this totally unsuitable for residential usage. You can verify these numbers at Welcome to INCOG.

I also think your comment that the engineers and contractors here do not know how to build a road that will last is misplaced. We have access to the same technology as any other engineer or contractor. The area from Admiral to I-44 was reconstructed and widened not too long ago, the access from 244 to 169 was widened. Maintenance on the 30 year old portion is needed, but with the majority of funds going into the widening of 44 east of the Arkansas, it isn't surprising. I am glad they are leaving some parts of the urban highway dispersal system alone. You should see what the highways are like in other parts of the country where they are constantly closing roads throughout the summer.

Last edited by Goodpasture; 03-02-2008 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
I actually live near Tulsa (west). We moved here in 2007 from Houston. The following are my assessments:

1. Lack of vision. The 'we've always done it this way' mentality. I saw someone ding the suburbs vs. Tulsa. The 'burbs would support the city if the city would give the burbs what they want.

River development.
Road improvements.
Emphasis on family/kids
Police/fire academies

Instead you get things you don't want (halls of fame, arenas, pet projects).

2. Lack of priority. Do NOT try to pass a river tax when the rumblings of a new road tax are on the horizon. Do what a city is supposed to do: roads, police, fire.

3. Weather. Nothing we can do, but DANG! Evidently this area is where meteorologists come to train. There's always something happening, snow, ice storm, thunderstorm, tornadoes, hot, cold, wow!

I also don't get the west-a-phobic thing: we lived in Sand Springs for five years, then bought a beautiful home on Lake Keystone, where we've been ever since.

Any other metropolitan area would have developed Lake Keystone, but not Tulsa! My example is Lake Conroe by Houston. Keystone is infinitly more beautiful than Conroe but undeveloped.

Other than that, the good FAR outweighs the bad. Crime is low, and the topography and scenery are wonderful. The people are fabulous, and I love the way everyone helps others.

Great thread, really enjoyed adding my two cents!
Hey ... we are neighbors!!! We are in Terlton.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

Good points on the north side revitalization. That does need to take place.
There is some of that going on but sadly, any improvements made are undone by the residents there immediately.

I have not seen much initiative from the residents in North Tulsa. Are they just sitting around and waiting for others to do it for them?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 PM

16 posts, read 59,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
71st and Lewis has always been commercial. I think you are talking about 71st and Harvard. Which, if you are, you should be aware that that specific intersection has about 30,000 cars a day on 71st and 18,000 cars a day passing on Harvard making this totally unsuitable for residential usage. You can verify these numbers at Welcome to INCOG.

I also think your comment that the engineers and contractors here do not know how to build a road that will last is misplaced. We have access to the same technology as any other engineer or contractor. The area from Admiral to I-44 was reconstructed and widened not too long ago, the access from 244 to 169 was widened. Maintenance on the 30 year old portion is needed, but with the majority of funds going into the widening of 44 east of the Arkansas, it isn't surprising. I am glad they are leaving some parts of the urban highway dispersal system alone. You should see what the highways are like in other parts of the country where they are constantly closing roads throughout the summer.
You are correct it was 71st and Harvard.
It was a residential neighborhood long before a bank was allowed to be built there.The property would have been perfect for a large single estate with a wall to be built on it.
May I remind you that the parts of U.S.169 that I mentioned are not even 15 years old yet and have potholes at 31st St. northbound side.The 3 lane expansion was done less than 10 years ago it is already having to be resurfaced. I stand by my comment that they cannot/or will not build a durable road for the long haul here.
I do see roads in other parts of the U.S.and it is pathetic how long it takes to repair an intersection here.
Closing a road is not a bad idea if it is repaired in a timely manner unlike the example listed.
Example: 71st and Elm- Broken Arrow .Some people will be able to retire with the length of time it is taking to reconstruct the intersection.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,028 times
Texas roads are excellent. Oklahoma roads...well....not so much. Why? There is more to it than the weather.

Oklahoma roads are built to fail so people who profit from road repair will continue to do so. Oklahoma has a corrupt good ole boy system that impedes any progress the state is making, and Tulsa is just a microcosm of this problem.

Texas is to big and to diverse to have AS many issues with this as OK does.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieDoc View Post
Texas roads are excellent. Oklahoma roads...well....not so much. Why? There is more to it than the weather.

Oklahoma roads are built to fail so people who profit from road repair will continue to do so. Oklahoma has a corrupt good ole boy system that impedes any progress the state is making, and Tulsa is just a microcosm of this problem.

Texas is to big and to diverse to have AS many issues with this as OK does.
Goodness, have you driven on the roads in DFW? They are pretty bad in lots of places, and there is one Governor called Richard Perry that is about as deceitful as they get. He makes promises that he never keeps after he gets elected. I'm not giving Oklahoma a get out of jail free card but I live in Texas and have lived here for close to twenty years and it has its misgivings as well.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM

98 posts, read 273,186 times
I remember the roads in Tulsa, 20 years ago, and have had recent family visit and they say that they are still bad. But I would trade bad roads for nicer people on the roads anyday. There's just something about someone waving you through an intersection without trying to T-Bone you as you do. Let alone all the other aspects of daily life. I have LOTS of cops in the family, from all over the U.S., and Tulsa has escaped the increase in problems that have multiplied in almost every other state. It may not be perfect but I'll take it... God willing I will soon be able to move back there soon! GOODBYE FLORIDA!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
I remember the roads in Tulsa, 20 years ago, and have had recent family visit and they say that they are still bad. But I would trade bad roads for nicer people on the roads anyday. There's just something about someone waving you through an intersection without trying to T-Bone you as you do. Let alone all the other aspects of daily life. I have LOTS of cops in the family, from all over the U.S., and Tulsa has escaped the increase in problems that have multiplied in almost every other state. It may not be perfect but I'll take it... God willing I will soon be able to move back there soon! GOODBYE FLORIDA!!!
I'm with you there gdblauvelt (you need to get an easier to remember name). When are you moving?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 PM

98 posts, read 273,186 times
As soon as I can sell my house, so maybe in 100 years or so. As for the name I would love to change my name do know how I could do that...without starting a new account!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 PM

769 posts, read 2,233,141 times
Ok, here is the thing. I visited friends in Tulsa and they'd always go over to Texas for alcohol. Is it that bad for guys like me who love to drink? I always asked them and they said Oklahoma used to be a dry state, which means it sucks as far as hard alcohol, or alcohol in general goes. Does anyone else in Tulsa agree. Please be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa