Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian7 View Post
Hi Friends:

I am moving to Tulsa next month from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada as I got a job in Tulsa.

I am moving with my wife and 8 years old daughter. I would like to stay close to my work place. My work place is in Northern part of Tulsa @ East Apache Street and N Garnett Rd intersection. I am also concern with my Daughter's school too. Quite and peaceful neighborhood with convenient location for school and shopping is preferable.

I would be really grateful if you can suggest which would be the best-suited area for me to live. I will be looking for two bed room apartment on rent. I will have only four days paid hotel accommodation and rental car. Is it sufficient to find apartment and car in Tulsa?

I am originally from India and I am sure there are Indian community / restaurant in tulsa.

The Calgary-Edmonton area of Alberta Canada is heavy with the Petro-Business like Tulsa used to be prior to 1982 and Owasso Oklahoma is the perfect place for you to live....and please reconsider renting a Apartment as Owasso doesn't have Apartment living but you could RENT A HOUSE for about as must as a Apartment..Welcome to Oklahoma from a Oklahoma to California Transplant
Howest2008.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 PM

15 posts, read 32,250 times
Thanks for your input Howest2008.

Can anyone suggest any website to find used car in Tulsa? If you buy a new or used car from Dealer; is there any GST Tax invovled like Canada??

Is usually heat / water / garbage covered while you rent house or apartment; like here in Canada? I am sure all hosue or apartment must have Air Conditioner as I hear there is usually very hot in summer. Is there usually 11 months lease to be signed? or it can be shorter? Anything else I need to make sure while renting place there?

Old 05-17-2008, 11:13 PM

687 posts, read 2,349,844 times
The Tulsa World website at Tulsa World: Home Page may help you find a vehicle.

Go to this post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...sales-tax.html

...to find the answer to your question. It depends on transferring a vehicle or purchasing one. If it's a new purchase, it's usually 3.25 % excise tax on the retail value of the vehicle being purchased. I just purchased a car in December for 23000 and the registration which includes the excise tax was about 840.

Most apartments in Tulsa include water/sewer/refuse rates in the rent, but typically the electric costs are charged separate. Most newer apartments don't use gas appliances; they're all electric. Typical lease is either 6 months or 1 year.

Hope that helps you in your decision-making.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 AM

Thanks BigOkie.

Does anyone know which is the best service with good deal for Cell phone, Cable & Internet in Tulsa. I might not able to combind all together immediately as I will be buying cell phone first and later TV & Computer.

Does anyone know where to buy new LCD TV & Computer with good deal?

I am pure vegitarian. Where would I get most of produce / vegetables?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Best Buy has been having great deals on monitors; ask CG.. I'm not so sure about computers, but TheComputerGuy can probably direct you to the best computer deal. If you are a vegetarian, you'll want to shop at Wild Oats, which was bought out by Whole Foods a few months ago (See website below). Hope this helps!

Whole Foods Market : Stores : Tulsa (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/tulsa/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 AM

687 posts, read 2,349,844 times
Quote:
Thanks BigOkie.

Does anyone know which is the best service with good deal for Cell phone, Cable & Internet in Tulsa. I might not able to combind all together immediately as I will be buying cell phone first and later TV & Computer.

Does anyone know where to buy new LCD TV & Computer with good deal?

I am pure vegitarian. Where would I get most of produce / vegetables?
As far as cellphone goes, there are really three or four major players in town: A T & T (formerly Cingular), Verizon (pretty new for here), T-Mobile and Sprint. Myself, I use A T & T, but they are all pretty similar. I have a plan with two people on it for 550 minutes, no roaming and LD charges and pay about $65 a month.

I just bought a brand new 42 LCD flat panel at Ultimate Electronics. The guys there will do you well, but you need to know what you want and do your research. They'll price match with ANYPLACE. That includes the discount stores (Walmart, Sams, etc).

Cable and Internet can be had through the only Cable company (pretty much) in town, and that's Cox Communications. If you are talking about highspeed internet, A T & T and Cox have a stranglehold on those. If you get cable though along with Internet, you can get a bundled discount. A T & T's cable is essentially dish network.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Thanks BigOkie & Synopsis

Getting back to rental apartment in North East Area (Job location East Apache Street and N Garnett Rd intersection) apart from Owasso is there any other convienient location ( East Pine St / Eastland Mall / Catoosa ??) which is not to far from my work and also easily accessible to city.

Is there public transport bus goes to Owasso from Tulsa? As I can afford only one car and in case if my wife would like to go to Tulsa for shopping / school?

Any other suggestion other than Owasso for back-up plan. As there are only few 4-5 rental apartment and If I could not find any suitable place in Owasso. I would not be interseted to rent house.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks BigOkie & Synopsis

Getting back to rental apartment in North East Area (Job location East Apache Street and N Garnett Rd intersection) apart from Owasso is there any other convienient location ( East Pine St / Eastland Mall / Catoosa ??) which is not to far from my work and also easily accessible to city.

Is there public transport bus goes to Owasso from Tulsa? As I can afford only one car and in case if my wife would like to go to Tulsa for shopping / school?

Any other suggestion other than Owasso for back-up plan. As there are only few 4-5 rental apartment and If I could not find any suitable place in Owasso. I would not be interseted to rent house.
Any Help with this matter?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:35 AM

265 posts, read 904,090 times
I commute from Broken Arrow to that area a lot and find it only taking around 15 minutes, with not a lot of traffic. Especially if you find a place along Highway 51 (Broken Arrow Expressway) it is 8 lanes in many places making traffic flow easy. There are several apt. options in Broken Arrow with about 4 new complexes on the way. Some are close to new commercial areas for shopping convenience. Good luck on your search.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 PM

If I live in Apartment. Can I get Dish TV? Or I have to stuck with Cox as I would like to have all Indian Channel which is available with DISH TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa