Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all. I am from Charlotte and enjoy it very much here. I am considering going to grad school at Oral Roberts University. If anyone is familiar with the Charlotte area, can you compare the two cities for me? How is the arts/culture over there in Tulsa? I have been doing some internet research and it seems interesting. Also, if anyome knows about ORU and its impact on the area please let me know. Thanks a bundle in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 01:41 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
The last time I was there a few years ago, it was a little run down. Concrete steps were deteriorating. The small water streams were not working. I guess Richard Roberts preferred spending money on his own life style than on the upkeep of the university. I'm not really any help at all! Sorry.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
The last time I was there a few years ago, it was a little run down. Concrete steps were deteriorating. The small water streams were not working. I guess Richard Roberts preferred spending money on his own life style than on the upkeep of the university. I'm not really any help at all! Sorry.
That info helps more than nothing. Thank you much.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 AM

45 posts, read 184,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Greetings to all. I am from Charlotte and enjoy it very much here. I am considering going to grad school at Oral Roberts University. If anyone is familiar with the Charlotte area, can you compare the two cities for me? How is the arts/culture over there in Tulsa? I have been doing some internet research and it seems interesting. Also, if anyome knows about ORU and its impact on the area please let me know. Thanks a bundle in advance.
Are you wanting to move and relocate to Tulsa? Or are you just wanting to go to grad school at ORU?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 PM

Probably just go to grad school, although it is hard to say what the future holds.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM

45 posts, read 184,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Probably just go to grad school, although it is hard to say what the future holds.
Oh, well I have a friend who just graduated from Oral Roberts. She went there for mostly religious reasons, and I assume you have identified it for the same.

They have just recently severed tieds with the Roberts family due to a financial scandal, and it is no longer directly run by the Roberts family. They are re-organizing and trying to get out of the hole they are currently in, but their enrollment is still steady.

Here is a Tulsa World article talking a little about it, and you can find most any news regarding the ORU scandal, it's problems, and it's future from the Tulsa World: Tulsa World: ORU donations, debts decline

My friend had a good experience, and enjoyed ORU's south Tulsa location. She also enjoyed the events held at ORU's Mabee Center. There are a number of apartments in the area, and 81st and Lewis is pretty quiet and close to the new Riverwalk area.. Restaurants, shopping, recreation, etc is all nearby.

The new Riverwalk area is just a few minutes away from the ORU Campus:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/38/300px-Jenks_riverwalk.jpg (broken link)

http://www.jenkschamber.com/upload/RiverWalk%20Summer%20Scene.jpg (broken link)

http://kotv.com/newsimages/640/49f79a6a-8732-424f-ad9a-cc9074b11344.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-16-2008, 02:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
There is a Super Wal-Mart across the street from the Praying Hands!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
There is a Super Wal-Mart across the street from the Praying Hands!
Thanks alot. You know us college kids need to know where the wal-marts are. LoL. I like yall Tulsans.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelosh View Post
Oh, well I have a friend who just graduated from Oral Roberts. She went there for mostly religious reasons, and I assume you have identified it for the same.

They have just recently severed tieds with the Roberts family due to a financial scandal, and it is no longer directly run by the Roberts family. They are re-organizing and trying to get out of the hole they are currently in, but their enrollment is still steady.

Here is a Tulsa World article talking a little about it, and you can find most any news regarding the ORU scandal, it's problems, and it's future from the Tulsa World: Tulsa World: ORU donations, debts decline

My friend had a good experience, and enjoyed ORU's south Tulsa location. She also enjoyed the events held at ORU's Mabee Center. There are a number of apartments in the area, and 81st and Lewis is pretty quiet and close to the new Riverwalk area.. Restaurants, shopping, recreation, etc is all nearby.

The new Riverwalk area is just a few minutes away from the ORU Campus:

Thanks for the info. What type of work does your friend do now? It is sad to see stuff like this happen but it doesn't surprise me either.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 AM

5 posts, read 15,504 times
Well, I'm originally from Greenville, SC. I know Tulsa area is a lot smaller than Charlotte. So there is art/culture here but maybe not as much. The ORU area is one of the "nicer" areas in town. You can get an apartment in the area for $339 - $500+ depending on amenities etc.

Some of the popular areas for the younger crowd tend to be Brookside, Cherry Street, Blue Dome District, with sidewalk cafes, restaurants, live music etc

You got the Tulsa Performing Arts Center, Heller Theatre, Brady Theatre, Spotlight Theatre and some others for plays.

Do a google on Gilcrease Museum and the Tulsa Historical Society

Also if you happen to have a dog, Tulsa is chock FULL of parks. Its one thing I appreciate about the area. There is a new off-leash dog park in the northwest side of town. Going to Centennial Park, Maple Park, or to Braden Park with my pup to feed the geese is something I do often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: