Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
We used to have Jack in the Boxes here, but they went the way of Shoney's............
You could get pretty good breakfast at Shoney's, but the rest of their food was cardboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM1031 View Post
I would trade (pick any 10 chains) for one Jack in the box.
but if they did have them here, there would nothing to look forward to going to Texas for.
Bonus Jack or Jumbo Jack with Cheese? I used to work at one in the late 1970s. It was right across the street from my house, and believe me, I ate everything on the menu!

I was very surprised to see one in Ada, OK of all places.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM

620 posts, read 1,751,587 times
Jumbo Jack...

Old 07-23-2009, 08:43 AM

687 posts, read 2,349,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
You could get pretty good breakfast at Shoney's, but the rest of their food was cardboard.
Wow, last time I ate at a Shoney's was actually on a vacation and I was in Manassas, VA... about 2005 I think.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Tulsa used to have two of them, one in front of Casa Bonita on Sheridan (now a Chinese Buffet) and the other on Skelly by Harvard (last I looked it was a Johnnies Charburger). They had some food sanitation incidents....someone got sick at the Sheridan one......and they shut it down first, then they shut down the other one sometime later. jack in the box made someone sick and they ended up closing down the ones here. As I recall there was one on the NE corner of 21st and Harvard....its an Arby's now.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:58 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm sorry to be a turn off to you; since you definitely know me and my "kind"....whatever that means, LOL.

I actually happen to be a very tolerant person. I'm a Southern Democrat who is very socially conservative like the majority of Okies. I'm a 4th generation Okie, who is proud of the beliefs that I have, primarily that Jesus is Lord.

I do not bully people with my faith, however. If someone wishes to hear about my relationship with Christ I gladly tell them. If not, I happen to be a rather normal guy who wishes to be friends with just about anyone = whether they share my views or not.

I will say that some of the most intolerant people I've met in my life (I've lived quite a few different places = Deep South, West and East Coast, spent some time in the Midwest, and of course I'm born and raised in the South-Central of OK and TX) are extreme liberals who would rather save an owl (or the tree the owl lives in) than the life of child. Nonsensical to this 'ol Southern boy; but it is possibe that my own enlightenment has been stalled because of where I grew up.
Never have been to Tulsa but have been looking for a more temperate climate, and Tulsa fits the bill. But after seeing this and a few other posts, no way. No wonder Tulsa has been left behind as other parts of the country have progressed.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Never have been to Tulsa but have been looking for a more temperate climate, and Tulsa fits the bill. But after seeing this and a few other posts, no way. No wonder Tulsa has been left behind as other parts of the country have progressed.
How has it been left behind? Unlike many cities in the country, Tulsa's economy is quite strong and the city is growing instead of losing residents (wasn't the case in the 80s and 90s though). Apparently religion is a big turn off to you, which is fine; to each their own. I am Christian, and I can live smack dab in the middle of a bunch of Atheists and Agnostics - it wouldn't bother me one bit. In fact, one of my best friends is Agnostic. Apparently some of those who disagree with Christianity don't practice the same level of tolerance.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
No wonder Tulsa has been left behind as other parts of the country have progressed.
How do you figure that?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM

687 posts, read 2,349,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
How has it been left behind? Unlike many cities in the country, Tulsa's economy is quite strong and the city is growing instead of losing residents (wasn't the case in the 80s and 90s though). Apparently religion is a big turn off to you, which is fine; to each their own. I am Christian, and I can live smack dab in the middle of a bunch of Atheists and Agnostics - it wouldn't bother me one bit. In fact, one of my best friends is Agnostic. Apparently some of those who disagree with Christianity don't practice the same level of tolerance.
But then again, inversely, there are some real religious zealots around (I've not met many) that can also be very intolerant of people who are different.

But that happens EVERYWHERE. I think our status as reddest of the red states unnerves people.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:02 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
But then again, inversely, there are some real religious zealots around (I've not met many) that can also be very intolerant of people who are different.

But that happens EVERYWHERE. I think our status as reddest of the red states unnerves people.
Do they harrass people BO? I wouldn't put up with that or advocate that either. Whenever we have been in Tulsa, my wife who is Buddhist has never seemed to have had a problem with any kind of intolerance.

Yeah, a Christian and a Buddhist as husband and wife. Us Christians are really intolerant of other religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa