Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:14 PM

11 posts, read 23,629 times

Advertisements

My husband got out there this past weekend. I sent him to look at a house in Bixby (his office is in Broken Arrow, and his boss lives in Bixby), and we're renting it for a year!

So now we will be leaving next weekend (uhaul and minivan from Atlanta to Bixby... oh myyyyy). The kids will be in the Bixby North schools, and from what I've read and heard I should be pleased with the choice.

I'm so excited! I just want to get out there already!

So soon I will be in Bixby, OK! I can't believe it!

So anyone out there familiar with Bixby? Any suggestions for a 'newbie' to the area? Your favorite shopping areas... parks... activities for kids... restaurants?

I'd love to hear as much about it as I can (considering darlin' husband is there, he's working and just not giving me as much information as I'm craving! LOL)

Pamela... soon to be living in OK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 PM

56 posts, read 179,467 times
Here's an early "welcome" before you arrive!
We live in Broken Arrow ("BA") now but lived in the northern part of Bixby when we first were married (20+ yrs ago). Back in those days, it was a little town - slightly dumpy - but that has changed in the last 20. They have all the fast food venues, Walmart, Lowes, etc... Lots of road construction that has improved Memorial through town. It's an "up and coming" place. ha!! Straight up Memorial to 71st and you're at Woodland Hills Mall area - The shopping mecca of Tulsa. There is absolutely NOTHING anyone could possibly want that can't be found on the 5 mile stretch of 71st street east of Memorial -

I think the Bixby schools are pretty good...I have a friend who teaches in the early childhood program there and she LOVES it. In my opinion, Bixby has more of an "old" feeling - not in a bad sort of way but in an "established" sort of way. Broken Arrow, though it was established 100 yrs ago, still has that "new" feeling so common of suburbia. Bixby is now a suburb of Tulsa, but it wasn't always...and it doesn't "feel" that way. It was always it's own community so there's a feeling of "roots" and "long-time establishment".

I"m sure you'll like it....We're coming into the Fall with lower temperatures and FOOTBALL season. That's the thing that just "blows new residents away"...the way we Oklahomans feel about our football. ha!! It doesn't matter whether its flag for the little boys, the high school team that the ENTIRE community comes out to support even if they don't have kids in school or our beloved OU or OSU college ball.. Football rules the day from Sept to Nov each year.

Try a Mexican restarant (or several) - There's one on just about every mile section, but get recommedations first - some are good, others are NOT... consider Teds' up on 71st and 145th E. Ave. in BA for a higher price point or Compadres at 91st & 145th E. Ave. in BA for food that is just as good but more economical prices. These are the best in town IMHO Be prepared to wait if you go at "common" times at both of these. Those of us who like them have not kept the secret very well. ha!!!

We will find out next week if we have a job and are moving to New Mexico--I have to say that I"m quite jealous of you...a job in Tulsa!!!
Enjoy!!

Last edited by rgmacm; 08-20-2009 at 11:49 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 01:23 AM

265 posts, read 904,832 times
I agree that Ted's is good and Compadres as well. One note...Compadres is located at 101st and 145th.
A lot of new shopping and restaurants have opened in Broken Arrow recently along the Broken Arrow Expressway.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:53 PM

56 posts, read 179,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGuy View Post
One note...Compadres is located at 101st and 145th.

oops!!!
I live right down the road from there and can't believe I made that mistake.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 PM

28 posts, read 90,868 times
i've been to bixby, i like it. i'm thinking of finding an apartment and moving there, i like the fact it's like a suburb/city and not like b.a. though i have no problems with b.a. and i can fire fireworks there too.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 PM

265 posts, read 904,832 times
Bixby is a nice community.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 AM

11 posts, read 23,629 times
Thanks you guys! I'm really getting antsy about the move! I had a huge garage sale here, trying to extracate tons of stuff we really don't need/want/like from a house we've lived in for 9 years. Really, people collect a lot of stuff over the years, don't they? LOL

I've also heard that I should be trying a burger joint in downtown Bixby called... Scott's I think? A mexican restaurant called Abuello's, and a rib place called The Rib Crib?? Hmmm... I'm already hungry just thinking about it!

I've ordered cable/phone/internet (the important stuff first LOL), electric, gas, water and trash... and my husband picked up the keys to the rental house this weekend!

I'm looking forward to finding your shopping area (I've heard just head on Memorial toward 71st street LOL), grocery stores, and a place to buy libations - do you get your beer/wine in a grocery store there? Or should I be looking for a liquor store somewhere on Memorial? LOLOL Priorities, you know

I'm also looking forward to a nice fall... while the Atlanta area does have a nice fall, I've heard that Tulsa does as well, and it's one of my favorite seasons! Of course, your winters might not be nearly as exciting for me... growing up in Houston, I prefer shorts on Christmas to heavy coats and boots!

Thank you for all of your responses! Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I've talked to in your state so far has been SO FRIENDLY, NICE and welcoming! I'm probably looking forward to nice people around me more than the other things!

Pamela

Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,571 times
Bixby is a nice community that sort of blends indistinguishably into south Tulsa. There is a movie theater, several restaurants (Indigo Joe's is fun), a couple of shopping centers, and the new Spirit Bank Event Center. You will be going into Tulsa for just about everything else.

The schools are good. Right now the traffic is horrendous because Memorial (the main traffic artery) is being widened, plus they are building a Super Target at 101st and Memorial. Hopefully the congestion will alleviate a bit when the construction is finished.

The area does have good access to HWY 169 and the Creek Turnpike and is overall a good place to live.

Best of luck -- and welcome!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
Pretty good liquor store at 91st and Memorial, grocery stores only sell 3.2 beer and fruit flavored wine coolers.

I thought Scotts got bought out.....maybe he just moved. There is a Ron's there. Conrads produce store is pretty good for local in season produce. Abuelos is a chain, but they are decent.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 AM

620 posts, read 1,752,690 times
Speaking of liquor stores, what's good around the Jenks area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa