Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 05:41 PM

123 posts, read 409,149 times

Advertisements

I am considering the idea of moving to Tulsa. It's only 7 hours south of where I live in Nebraska, so it would be an easier move than somewhere further away. I was pretty impressed with visiting the city in November, though I didn't get to see as much as what I'd have liked to. I've lived in Columbus, Ohio and in Florida as well. I tend to like walkable cities where you can live in a neighborhood and at least walk to a few places or close drive. How is the transit there? Good bus system?

Also, my wife is Filipina, so it would be nice to live in a race-friendly city. The town I live in is full of small town *******s so we want to get away from all the rude stares.

Another question I have is how does Tulsa compare to Oklahoma City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 11:28 PM

52 posts, read 158,664 times
Dear The_Sage1,

Tulsa is not a very race welcoming city. I have heard of a few people of color that they would stay away from Oklahoma in general. I am from Europe, have no problems with race in OK, but the first thing I ran into when I was getting my driver license (I moved from another state) was that the inspector suspected that I have illegally entered the country because he could not understand what the US border control officials wrote in my passport. Well, I've asked him to contact my lawyer if he is so curious about my legal status and the comment was ... "you always have lawyers..." YES! Now I understand why lawyers are needed in this country.

Tulsa is NOT walkable city. But it is one of the best in driving times (#2 or #3 in nation), and I certainly enjoy it after Chicago.

I would say that as to diversity, Tulsa is easier than Oklahoma City. Also, Mr. George Kaiser is in Tulsa (and SF). He does try to change a few things.

HappyWacko

Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
You will like Tulsa more than Oklahoma City as far as scenery. You are in "Green Country". I found it's easy to get around in. I didn't live in Tulsa however, I lived more north in Owasso. I have always found the people to be very friendly, much more than in the Western States.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 PM

174 posts, read 450,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sage1 View Post
I am considering the idea of moving to Tulsa. It's only 7 hours south of where I live in Nebraska, so it would be an easier move than somewhere further away. I was pretty impressed with visiting the city in November, though I didn't get to see as much as what I'd have liked to. I've lived in Columbus, Ohio and in Florida as well. I tend to like walkable cities where you can live in a neighborhood and at least walk to a few places or close drive. How is the transit there? Good bus system?

Also, my wife is Filipina, so it would be nice to live in a race-friendly city. The town I live in is full of small town *******s so we want to get away from all the rude stares.

Another question I have is how does Tulsa compare to Oklahoma City?
I'll try and take a shot at this one even though I'm not from Tulsa. I've visited several times so maybe I'm not the best judge.

I think Tulsa is a great city. I've not experienced any small town racism. I'm white but I travel with my wife and sister-in-law. They are latina. No problem in Tulsa. They lived in Tulsa for four years. One attended ORU and the other Rhema. I might be clueless but I don't detect any covert discrimination. That's just our experience.

Unfortunately I wouldn't call Tulsa a walkable city. Even if you live in Midtown it's best to have a car. OKC is even worse- it's so spread out. There is a public transit system. It operates mainly as a commuter bus from the Tulsa suburbs to downtown. I'm feel older than dirt sometimes so I just don't do that much walking. The summers are so brutal in Tulsa and OKC that I don't think long walks are a good idea. There is though so many things to do in both cities. Just google festivals etc. and you'll find the schedules.

Personally, I like Tulsa better than OKC. I think generally though the job opportunities are so much better in OKC. Many people would favor OKC because it is more cosmopolitan and thriving. OKC has the Sooners and major league basketball. Over the past few years they have put a lot of money into downtown revival.

All that said, I still think Tulsa has a charm that is still missing in OKC. I think the two cities are on different tracks. Both have a lot to offer. I think Oklahoma in general is going to be dynamic in the next few years. I'd move in a shot if I could secure solid employment. At any rate I'm 16 months away from a decent early retirement so I'll make my move then. Hopefully there is enough room for this wannabe Okie.

Good luck and have a great time.

Per

Old 05-18-2010, 04:22 PM

The fact that Tulsa isn't a walkable city doesn't surprise me too much but it's not as bad as Kansas City or Omaha from what I saw. I'm sure there's some neighborhoods you could live in and at least be in reasonable walking distance to some stores. In Kansas City and Omaha the businesses are usually far away from the houses and apartments.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM

174 posts, read 450,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sage1 View Post
The fact that Tulsa isn't a walkable city doesn't surprise me too much but it's not as bad as Kansas City or Omaha from what I saw. I'm sure there's some neighborhoods you could live in and at least be in reasonable walking distance to some stores. In Kansas City and Omaha the businesses are usually far away from the houses and apartments.
Hi Sage:

I've never been to Omaha but I've been to KC many times. Your're right- Tulsa is better for walking than KC. I think some other people with more knowledge have to chime in. It seems to me that there are some neighborhoods with stores within walking distance. If you live near the center of town in the Tulsa suburbs then you'll have some diversion. You'll still need a car though. It's not like living in Manhattan.

Towns like Claremore, Owasso etc have downtowns you can walk and shop.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 PM

Well, I lived in Columbus, Ohio for a time and while you still need a car to live in most places there, you can save money on gas and get some exercise walking to stores as a routine. I'm not looking to walk to work(though it would be nice), but to be able to walk to certain places would be a huge plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa