Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM

4,691 posts, read 307,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't have t.v., either, and watch everything on-line.

There are a lot of other sites, too, where you can find things that you can't find on hulu or Netflix. For instance, I am half way through the third season of Downton Abbey - even though the first episode of season three was just released in this country last weekend.

I've also been watching the entire run of Dallas on-line (I just started season 10).

I watched the entire run of Rosemary and Thyme on Netflix.

Have you ever watched Good Neighbors, starring Felicity Kendall and Richard Briers (who was on Monarch of the Glen)? It's kind of a quirky little British comedy from the 70's about a couple who decide to become totally self-sufficient on their suburban property.

Yes. I've seen some of them. I mostly like British mysteries, especially those that take place in the 20's, 30's, and 40's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,903,031 times
Where are you watching Downton Abbey?

I would love to see it---but it is on huluplus---must pay for that...I am trying to avoid more $...

You are watching Dallas?!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM

4,691 posts, read 307,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

I would love to see it---but it is on huluplus---must pay for that...I am trying to avoid more $...

Check PBS on Sunday evenings.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,271,556 times
Quote:

Watch Downton Abbey online free on Tv-links

Sometimes you have to kind of play around to find a link that works for you. "Movreel" works for me; just pick the "free download" choice.

I also find that it works best to let the video load completely before watching it.

This site also has links to Dallas - "gorillavid" usually works well for me; again I let it load before I try to watch.

There is/was another site that was awesome. It was called "Watchseries," but it shut down around the middle of December. Supposedly, they are coming back with a new name and better services; we'll see. I was in the middle of watching Dynasty there and I haven't been able to find any other place showing it. It is also the place that I started out watching Dallas.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 PM

19,239 posts, read 16,757,196 times
Quote:
"gorillavid" usually works well for me
I like gorillavid. That's what I used to watch the entire five seasons of Doc Martin. After I watched it, the show turned up on Netflix.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM

11,656 posts, read 12,740,635 times
The first dog died in real life. He was replaced by another.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,381,692 times
Quote:
So far I have really enjoyed:

Spy (comedy)
Whites (comedy/cancelled now, but oh so funny)
Doc Martin
And several others...Peekaboo?

And British comedy movies.... ie Death at a Funeral.
Yes, I liked the chef Britcom "Whites" w/Alan Davies and Darren Boyd, only lasted one season (6 eps.). Another short-lived (quirky family Britcom) one I liked a lot was called "Meet The Robinsons".
Watched "Death at a Funeral" & liked it (w/Alan Tudyk, Peter Dinklage, and Rowan Atkinson).
"Divorcing Jack" (which has zero to do with divorce or Jack) was a very good, overlooked, quirky crime/action drama that I recommend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
I love Doc Martin and I have all five seasons on DVD. Can't wait to get season 6, when it comes out.

I also have all of Midsomer Murders, Ballykissangel, Hamish MacBeth, Foyles War, Rosemary & Thyme, plus all of the Piorot and Miss Marples dvds, & some of Jonathan Creek. I'd like to get more British shows on dvd, so if anyone has any they would like to suggest, I would love it.
Props to you, on your great taste (of course I would say this, I've watched all these).
Quote:
I don't have t.v., either, and watch everything on-line.
Same with me, I just got rid of my two tv sets Thursday on FreeCycle
Quote:
I watched the entire run of Rosemary and Thyme on Netflix.

Have you ever watched Good Neighbors, starring Felicity Kendall and Richard Briers (who was on Monarch of the Glen)? It's kind of a quirky little British comedy from the 70's about a couple who decide to become totally self-sufficient on their suburban property.
R & T, the gardeners who solve mysteries (Pam Ferris & Felicity Kendall), and The Good Life aka Good Neighbors, a delightful classic (w/strong cast in all four lead roles). Kendall was also in a 12-ep not so much a sitcom (more contemplative, less silly), called "Solo" that I also enjoyed.
Quote:
Watch Downton Abbey online free on Tv-links

Sometimes you have to kind of play around to find a link that works for you. "Movreel" works for me; just pick the "free download" choice.

I also find that it works best to let the video load completely before watching it.

This site also has links to Dallas - "gorillavid" usually works well for me; again I let it load before I try to watch.
I do same thing, looking for lists of link sites where I can just stream/watch, I don't want to have to download the episode. Sometimes a site will work for desktop computer but doesn't offer free mobile phone access.
Quote:
There is/was another site that was awesome. It was called "Watchseries," but it shut down around the middle of December. Supposedly, they are coming back with a new name and better services; we'll see. I was in the middle of watching Dynasty there and I haven't been able to find any other place showing it. It is also the place that I started out watching Dallas.
Think this is next incarnation of that site-
LetMeWatchThis | 1Channel - Watch TV Shows Online Free - Just Added

This is the other one I use a lot-
Watch TV-shows Online | Free TV-show Streams | alluc.org

Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 PM

Thanks for those links; I'll check them out.

I can still pull up "Watchseries" if I google it; the changeover is supposed to take place in a few days so it will be interesting to see what happens when I google it after that.

I do still have two t.v.'s - one in my bedroom for watching dvd's and one in my son's room that he plays X-Box 360 on and watches Netflix on.

But I'm not willing to pay for t.v. when there is so much available for free on-line. In fact, when my son moves out, I will probably drop Netflix as well. He watches it quite a bit but I do only rarely (I am currently watching The Fabulous Beekman Boys on it, though).

Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Also, as far as the cast of Good Neighbors/The Good Life, my favorite character was Jerry (Paul Eddington).

Sadly, he died in 1995.

I have the series on dvd and a while back I was watching one of the "special features" and there were various people talking about the show. I was surprised to see a very young Alan Cumming (Eli Gold on The Good Wife - also watched on-line) talking about the show.......with a lot of very dark hair and an extremely heavy Scottish accent. lol I only know him from TGW and I had no idea from watching him on that show that he was anything but American.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,937,484 times
I, too, have been watching a lot of British TV (and movies).

For all you Martin Clunes fans don't forget about Reggie Perrin (2 seasons 2009 - netflix). Talk about playing a totally opposite character from Doc Martin! Gee, I think I might watch it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV