Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,874 times

Advertisements

We dropped cable last september when we were in between houses; our new house needs a lot of updating so we decided that we should hold off on cable a bit so we could get some projects done. We're going on a year now and honestly I am so glad we ditched it! The first few months we had no cable, no internet (computer broke), and no radio (our stereo is part of our tv's surround sound which wasn't hooked up).

In the begining it sucked--BIG TIME but as time went by we realized we have so much more time now, I guess if you don't watch a lot of tv it doesn't make a big difference but we were two couch potatoes so it was a total 180.

We've slowy begun to add some stuff back like we hooked up the TV and used Redbox a lot then we got a new computer and internet access, which gives you access to a ton of shows and recently we got netflix for wii so we have access plenty of movies and some shows on demand and everything else in the mail. It's totally fine.

BTW-- I have a preschooler so it's definitely do-able even with young children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,796 times
Guilty as charged here. None of the stuff I watch comes on regular stations, except the news. If I had a family, I could do without, I'm sure, but as Ilovemycomputer said, DVR rocks--and you gotta have cable for that!

Credit cards, on the other hand....who needs those? Cable's more beneficial

Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
I mean I have tried guys, and I just find even one day without cable is unbearable and dull and boring and oh i dont know not liveable, if there is such a word, lol. So am I the only one who feels this way. And especially with the recession / bad economy do any of you guys yield in to bringing down expenses by cutting of cable tv?
Nope I'm with you. I have to have it though honestly I don't know why. Half the time there isnt anything on all bizzillion channels.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
I mean I have tried guys, and I just find even one day without cable is unbearable and dull and boring and oh i dont know not liveable, if there is such a word, lol. So am I the only one who feels this way. And especially with the recession / bad economy do any of you guys yield in to bringing down expenses by cutting of cable tv?
I never had cable TV and really am happy with my free TV when I do watch!
I never ever had fios etc., so really do not mis it at all! I enjoy reading more
than the TV!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,170 times
I grew up in a family that didn't own a color TV til the 80s. I didn't have cable myself til 2003. I have spent plenty of time in parks and camping and libraries (and still love libraries, by the way).

I love my cable TV. I only watch the lower channels for news and the Oscars. I love my DVR. I also love Netflix.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
i half wish we didn't have cable, cause i watch it and i could be doing other things. there are certain shows i really like but i'll also just randomly watch stuff that i wouldn't go out of my way to see. i've talked about getting rid of it to cut costs but my husband is dead set against it.

you're obviously not the only one who feels that way - my husband does, and some crazy percentage of americans have cable, like 90% or something. personally, i'd miss it in some ways but i could definitely live without it.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
I don't know how you can do the free internet tv thing with all the pop ups and virus's.....there is definetely a downside

Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
I proudly displayed a "Kill Your Television" bumper sticker in college 20 years ago.

Then I went without cable until 2004 (couldn't afford it and didn't mind).

Then I got DirecTV in 2004 and a DVR in 2007.

Now, of course, I could live without them.

But do I want to?

No!

I still read plenty of books and meditate on a regular basis.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
I did it for two weeks and finished up three books.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:03 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't know how you can do the free internet tv thing with all the pop ups and virus's.....there is definetely a downside
if you stick with official, legal sources, like hulu and tv network websites, this shouldn't be a problem.

of course you can't get every show that way, but you can get a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV