Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times

Advertisements

This is a great ADULT cartoon.....about poor folk living in a polluted valley riddled with genetic deformities from toxic waste.

While the rich people(DEBS) live on the mountainsides away from the dangerous chemicals.

It is really very thought provoking about the class differences in our society and very sad; at the same time it is actually hysterical because our country has really become this parody cartoon.

No matter how you look at it; this new adult cartoon...on ADULT SWIM from the CARTOON NETWORK is well worth checking out!

The Oblongs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - ‪Oblongs episode 1 part 1‬‎

It airs at 12:30 AM....FRIDAY NIGHTS on the CARTOON CHANNEL...other episodes are also on YouTube.

YouTube - ‪Oblongs episode 1 part 2‬‎

YouTube - ‪Oblongs episode 1 part 3‬‎ .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-10-2010 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:22 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,766,094 times
Actually the Oblongs was on the air years ago, unless it's been revived and there's new episodes. It was on what used to be the WB network and it didn't last

Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM

I did not know that, but I do recall reading something about a previous run in the WIKI link. However it is new to me and I assume most posters. Still worth checking out........I'm not sure if the episodes are new....did the episode I posted look familar to you?????

The link states there are a total of 13 episodes and 7 were original runs....therefore I assume that 6 are new episodes...I do not know which episodes are new/old. There is a plan to begin another set of new episodes, but it is unclear if a studio will pick it up and if Will Ferrel will reprise his voiceover role as the father: Bob Oblong.

Here is a link that lists the 13 currently available episodes>>>>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...longs_episodes

http://www.angusoblong.net/theoblongs.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219446/

http://www.tv.com/the-oblongs/show/2255/summary.html (broken link) ;-)

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-10-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,970 times
Yep, The Oblongs are a pretty good cartoon show. You can watch it in the AM on some days on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
I've watched it on occasion. I guess some networks found it offensive, but from what I saw I thought it portrayed deformed people in a fairly good or fair light. The Dad is mostly like any other sitcom Dad except he has no limbs. He's not a pitiable retch or a totally inspiring saint-figure, which is actually a bit of an improvement from many portrayals of us deformed folk. The conjoined twin brothers were obnoxious, but obnoxious in fairly normal ways for adolescent boys. (Although it seems like Duckman may have done that angle before)

Some of the humor I think was a bit broad for me, and I find Will Farrel slightly annoying, but it was okay.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Yep, The Oblongs are a pretty good cartoon show. You can watch it in the AM on some days on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.
I did not know that thanx...I'll check my local listings...it really is a great show as it accurately portrays how unjust our society has become.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I've watched it on occasion. I guess some networks found it offensive, but from what I saw I thought it portrayed deformed people in a fairly good or fair light. The Dad is mostly like any other sitcom Dad except he has no limbs. He's not a pitiable retch or a totally inspiring saint-figure, which is actually a bit of an improvement from many portrayals of us deformed folk. The conjoined twin brothers were obnoxious, but obnoxious in fairly normal ways for adolescent boys. (Although it seems like Duckman may have done that angle before)

Some of the humor I think was a bit broad for me, and I find Will Farrel slightly annoying, but it was okay.
LOL...I do not like or think Will Ferrel is funny in the least, kinda like a toothache that won't "let up". But I really think the show is hysterical for it shows how our class divisions affect your chances at survival/prosperity. Now I don't find that concept funny at all; actually it sickens me. BUT...the characters are all loveable....we all really know them from our own friends. And the humor gets you to realize that our society must change without directly lecturing you about it. Overall a great cartoon...IMHO. .

Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,479 times
I had no idea that this show wasn't a kids show. I'd never really paid attention to the advertisements. I may have to check it out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV