Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Okay, when a comic book series reaches a certain issue, generally around the 5th issue. You will see some companies release what is called a Trade Paper Back which contains the material from those 5 comics. As the Comic series progresses, the company will continue to issue a new Trade Paper Back for each additional 5 comic books. Each Trade Paper Back will also be labeled volume 1,2,3,4, etc. The Walking Dead is on it's 15th volume.

Now for the above mentioned book. Is a Compendium which each volume contains the material for 48 comics.

This gives you three ways of reading the Walking Dead.

Comics
Trade Paper Backs
Compendiums

Each of the examples has their pros and cons.

Comics run about 2.99-3.50 (normally) and can take up lots of run. You would also need 95 individual TWD comics in order to be current with the books. Now if you plan on collecting these comics with the idea of them being potentially worth something in the future, you risk damage by reading them. In the case of the Walking Dead, a lot of the key books has skyrocketed in value, WD 1,2, 19, & 27 could set you back $3,000.00-5,000.00 easily.

Trade Paper Backs ( aka TBs): TBs run about 14.95 or cheaper at a used book store or EBay etc. You only need 15 books to be current since each TB equals 5 comics and you don't have to worry about damaging them since TBs are rarely ever worth anything.

Compendiums: You're looking at about 2 volumes which takes up less room and runs about 60.00 each. This is why I feel 34.00 for volume one is a great deal for first time fans to affordablely read the Walking Dead.
Interesting. I learned something new today. So are compendiums the "cheapest' way to get the most stories? I am not interested in the having the comics as a collectors items but would just want to be able to read the stories.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I honestly could careless if you read the books or not, the show is based off a comic book, either deal with it or find a non-comic related show.

Wow...thanks for telling me what I can and cannot watch.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wow...thanks for telling me what I can and cannot watch.
You're Welcome, just glad could return the favor on telling me what I could talk about.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:49 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,798 times
i don't care about the comic book, i never read the comic book, don't plan to read the comic book anytime soon

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
While discussing the comic books is a good reference, it needs to be realized that this is an adaption of the comic books and they are not one in the same. Much like a book made into a movie is different. The source material is used as inspiration but often they can be much different. Just read the Bourne books and then watch the movies. The only thing that is the same is really the name of the characters and the fact that Bourne got amnesia. Other than that, they are far different and not even the same stories.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,200,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Apparently, the people who like to spoil can't help it. They will drop in to this thread from time to time to "accidentally" drop tidbits of info. Its must be for our own good I guess.

I wonder how she tamed the zombies? Do they just give up trying to attack? I would think they'd still bump into you and try to gum you to death even without arms and teeth... GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE...
Well, if they can't eat, they're weak... so by removing their jaws and their ability to "hunt", they won't be strong enough to try and find living flesh. See Hannah (bicycle girl) from the first season- when Rick saw her the second time, she could barely move, not to mention the fact that al she was was a torso and arms and a mouth. Too weak to find food.

As for how she uses them, I think they keep the zombies away because they mask Michonne's "alive meat" smell. Remember in the first season when they figured out that a giblet suit made from zombies would work to keep them away, or getting too close to bite?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
comments=complaints. Not one positive? You must really hate the show.
Read comment #4. Starts with "I like..." That usually means positive, buddy.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
I got the book The Walking Dead-Rise of the Governor yesterday and finished it today. Many thanks to whomever mentioned it.

It's not one of the graphic comics. It's a book written to let those who care know the background on the Governor.

I'm not kidding, I could not put this book down. As a result I read all day today. It's very well written and so very exciting. I doubt that the TV series will ever cover his background to the extent that this book does and I believe this to be vital information for figuring out why he is like he is.

It's a great book and I don't say that lightly. It's an easy read but somewhat painful because of the subject matter.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I got the book The Walking Dead-Rise of the Governor yesterday and finished it today. Many thanks to whomever mentioned it.

It's not one of the graphic comics. It's a book written to let those who care know the background on the Governor.

I'm not kidding, I could not put this book down. As a result I read all day today. It's very well written and so very exciting. I doubt that the TV series will ever cover his background to the extent that this book does and I believe this to be vital information for figuring out why he is like he is.

It's a great book and I don't say that lightly. It's an easy read but somewhat painful because of the subject matter.
I just requested the audiobook from the library. Since I drive a lot, this should be creepy fun to listen to! Can't wait!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,683,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Read comment #4. Starts with "I like..." That usually means positive, buddy.
K pal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV