Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

link on radaronline.com

Not sure if I will watch more then one episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:42 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
I will not even watch one.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:43 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I will not even watch one.
ditto.

TLC needs to go off the air.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:01 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
ditto.

TLC needs to go off the air.

agreed, TLC and Bravo are the first 2 that come to mind.

More channels: more junk. TV has just become rediculous.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
I'm sure I won't watch this at all. What is wrong with TV...remember when they used to have writers and actors?

Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
I think TLC used to stand for "The Learning Channel", now it seems the L stands for LOSER. Wasn't the skakarama Gosselin on there, then Palin, then her daughter, now this.

I've reached the point where I skip from 46 (History)for me right to 50 (HGTV) for the wife. Everything in between is just a freak show.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I've reached the point where I skip from 46 (History)for me right to 50 (HGTV) for the wife. Everything in between is just a freak show.
History used to be chock full of good stuff, but it's going to crap like every other channel;

Modern Marvels Essentials: nothing new here, they take hour episodes and chop them down into half hour reruns.

Ice Road Truckers: was boring before the first season ended, they try to build up these life threatening scenarios which turn out to be nothing, trucks driving on ice, yay, I think the Modern Marvels episode on the subject was more than enough of that.

Life After People was an interesting mini series, it should have remained that, the series was the same old stuff over and over.

Sliced was just goofy

Some good shows still remain, Ancient Aliens, The Universe, Pawn Stars (not for the people, I like to see the items, the plugs for Subway are pitiful), Modern Marvels, American Pickers.

They canned a great show, cities of the underworld

Don't get me started on the syfy channel, wrestling? really? They changed the name so they could get away with loading it up with the same junk on most other channels. I'm curious as to who determines that the american public wants to see the crap that's on TV right now.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
The promo shows one of the sister-wives saying it's hard not being able to talk about her family (for fear of legal repercussions). Uh.....YOU'RE ON TV, LADY!

Are they just daring the local authorities to arrest them and place all 13 kids in foster care? I don't get it.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
The lifestyle being portrayed in this program is ILLEGAL within the borders of the United States. In many cases (possibly the majority), it also involves abuse of the food stamp and WIC programs. The law forbids the "husband" marrying the alternate "wives" in the eyes of the state; therefore, since these women are usually mothers who -- by the choice of their husband -- do not work, they often qualify for food assistance programs. The cults encourage the women to sign up for the programs; even when they don't require the assistance, the cult leaders enjoy ripping off the American government and encourage it within their communities.

Many of these women DO live in abject poverty, as well as enforced ignorance and breeding. To ensure that they can enjoy multiple younger wives, the older male leaders use any excuse possible to banish healthy young men from the community, thereby eliminating competition. The larger cities outside the cult communities are "home" to many of these under-educated, unskilled young men who have been banished from the only family they ever knew for the crime of being attractive to young women who are valued for their childbearing ability. These young men, too, live in poverty and loneliness and often fall victim to drugs and prostitution. If TLC was really interested in "learning" rather than money, they would do a program about that tragic situation.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
The promo shows one of the sister-wives saying it's hard not being able to talk about her family (for fear of legal repercussions). Uh.....YOU'RE ON TV, LADY!

Are they just daring the local authorities to arrest them and place all 13 kids in foster care? I don't get it.
Child protective agencies have to have grounds of proveable abuse or physical endangerment to remove children from their birth parents. Simple bad parenting is, unfortunately, not enough. The downside of freedom is that people are "free" to make frighteningly bad decisions. (Or else the Octomom's 14 children would be with better families.) These cults are well aware of the letter of the law and take great care to make sure they operate just within the bounds of legality.

The biggest problem is there are no complaintants. Most of these people were born and raised in these cults. They don't know any other life. They are unlikely to know much about the outside world since their educations and travel are highly restricted. Their ignorance is part of the plan. The girls think it's normal, or even good, to be "given" to a cult leader to be impregnated. To ask them to leave, or even disobey their leaders, is akin to asking you or me to take a rocket to the moon and never come back.

I'm sure the sister-wives are participating because they were ordered to do so. And I'd be willing to bet they're not going to see a penny of the cash TLC is paying their husband and/or the community, other than maybe a treat bestowed for their good behavior. That will all be taken to be used as the cult leaders see fit.

Actually, I'll bet that the "husband" TLC will be following is much richer than the standard. His family probably lives in much nicer conditions than is typical and his wives are probably better provided for than the average. TLC wouldn't be allowed to portray the downside of this lifestyle. So what viewers will be seeing in this "reality" show is no doubt a highly scripted "unreality."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV