Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

When the show has no connection to Maude at all. The woman who played the maid on Maude was written off the show so she could star in a new kind of comedy which was called Good times. Also when Esther Rolle made her last appearance on Maude, Goo Times had already aired in some cities on Feb 1, 1974.

The producer of the show even mentioned in a 1974 Ebony Magazine that Good times is not really a spinoff which makes sense because

It's based in Chicago...........not New York

The Husband has a different name

And the Evans are living in a Chicago Ghetto which is nowhere near NYC

Plus it was stated in the True Hollywood Story of Good Times that the show was created in 1971 which was one year before Maude existed.

Anyone Agree?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
The Evans characters were introduced on Maude though, even though they renamed Henry and recast him. Not sure about when they created the series but I have noticed that a lot of series were used as vehicles to launch new series, which then were considered "spin offs" despite having little in common.

For example, Benson was a spinoff of Soap but didn't have the same soap opera-spoof format.

With the popularity of Archie Bunker they were able to launch Maude, The Jeffersons, Good Times, and Gloria (which wasn't so successful) and later, Archie Bunker's Place.

Here's another interesting example: Empty Nest, which was a spinoff of The Golden Girls, was actually piloted during an episode of GG with Rita Moreno and Paul Dooley playing a couple facing empty nest syndrome after their last daughter leaves home for college. They revamped the whole series after getting lukewarm ratings.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
The Evans characters were introduced on Maude though, even though they renamed Henry and recast him. Not sure about when they created the series but I have noticed that a lot of series were used as vehicles to launch new series, which then were considered "spin offs" despite having little in common.

For example, Benson was a spinoff of Soap but didn't have the same soap opera-spoof format.

With the popularity of Archie Bunker they were able to launch Maude, The Jeffersons, Good Times, and Gloria (which wasn't so successful) and later, Archie Bunker's Place.

Here's another interesting example: Empty Nest, which was a spinoff of The Golden Girls, was actually piloted during an episode of GG with Rita Moreno and Paul Dooley playing a couple facing empty nest syndrome after their last daughter leaves home for college. They revamped the whole series after getting lukewarm ratings.

The Evans were poor on Good Times living in the ghetto and on Maude they lived in Harlem with both parents working. So it's clearly two different situations.

If they had kept the show in New York then it would have a better chance of being a spinoff. The show was about the life of Eric Monte growing up in the projects in Chicago during the 60's which is why it's not connected to Maude

Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Evans were poor on Good Times living in the ghetto and on Maude they lived in Harlem with both parents working. So it's clearly two different situations.

If they had kept the show in New York then it would have a better chance of being a spinoff. The show was about the life of Eric Monte growing up in the projects in Chicago during the 60's which is why it's not connected to Maude
But the characters were introduced on Maude. I agree it's not connected to Maude, and they never mention it after that, but it is still technically a spin off.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
But the characters were introduced on Maude. I agree it's not connected to Maude, and they never mention it after that, but it is still technically a spin off.
Usually when it's a spinoff there is a setup episode on the parent show kind of like

The All in the Family episode titled...."Moving on Up" that set up the Jeffersons

The All in the Family episode titled...."Maude" that set up the show Maude

The Florida character was written off Maude because her husband got a job as a fireman and she didn't have to work anymore. So you see how there was no set up for Good Times? That story about Florida leaving because her husband got a new job was the only way to write her off the show since the new show was about the Family living in the Ghetto.

Someone screwed up and allowed Esther Rolle to keep her same name she had on Maude which is what causes a lot of confusion

Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
On Maude Esther Rolle was Florida, and John Amos was the husband, I believe he had a different name. I have seen episode where they are both on Maude.

But once the have Good Times, Maude is never seen nor hear nor remembered.

so yes, above poster is correct.

I liked GT back in the day, but when I see it today, not so much.

******I always wanted to know why didn't Florida ever fix the 3 window shades in the living room to be adjusted evenly, It always looked so messy looking, that used to drive me nuts....******

Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
On Maude Esther Rolle was Florida, and John Amos was the husband, I believe he had a different name. I have seen episode where they are both on Maude.

But once the have Good Times, Maude is never seen nor hear nor remembered.

so yes, above poster is correct.

I liked GT back in the day, but when I see it today, not so much.

******I always wanted to know why didn't Florida ever fix the 3 window shades in the living room to be adjusted evenly, It always looked so messy looking, that used to drive me nuts....******

And not only that, it was no way for her to be seen since the Evans were living in a Chicago Housing Project. lol

The show was supposed to be called "The Black Family" and her name was supposed to be florida black but i guess they realized that name was kind of stupid.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM

I guess...

Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Imagine what the world would be like if you spent your time and energy helping underprivileged children, or immigrants trying to learn English ... instead of nonsensical blathering about trivialities no one cares about.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Imagine what the world would be like if you spent your time and energy helping underprivileged children, or immigrants trying to learn English ... instead of nonsensical blathering about trivialities no one cares about.

Well you go ahead and help them and let us chat,

Good night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV