Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

I've always known people saved a lot of money, purchased loads of groceries for next to nothing, but I never saw it done before... until I saw this show today on TLC. I have to say, I am impressed. A woman purchased about $1,200.00 of groceries, and paid only $50.00 something dollars. Another lady spent about $850.00 and paid only $6.00, and yet another purchased about $250.00 worth of stuff, and paid a little over $2.00! And, after her purchase, she got coupons from the register over $6.00, which means she walked out of that store without paying a penny, and she got paid to take it out!

Now, the only thing I saw wrong with all of this is that lots of food, and supplies were stockpiled, enough to start a little convenience store. I think these people should give some of it to the shelters, food banks, etc. It was mentioned that one guy does do this, good for him, maybe the others do too, but it was not mentioned. All of the food items have expiration dates, no way they can use 200+ jars of spaghetti sauce and 400+ boxes of pasta for one family, not a normal family anyway.

One last note, the last guy purchased $5,743.00 of goods, and he only paid 241.00! They had to wheel out cases of cereal, and he'll donate it to hungry people.

I'm afraid to start, I don't want to get hooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
I watched it. They need psych help I think. It's one thing to save lots of money, but to spend 40+ hours/week couponing and then to buy THAT much food/drinks/etc? A little more than extreme. And really, I'm overweight, but even I was wondering what on earth that first couple needed 160 candy bars for!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I agree, the people that have those huge stockpiles, it's going to go bad before they'll be able to use it. It's wasteful and in many casesd there are limited numbers of that particular item the store will ahve for the sale, so it keeps others from getting any.

I coupon to a degree. Sometimes I'll find great deals at CVS or Walgreens where after the coupon and sale the item will be free. Particularly with personal care items, even if it's not something I want or need, I'll pick it up and then put it in my box of donations to the homeless shelter. But I get ONE bottle of shampoo or ONE tube of deoderant, I don't buy every one on the shelf and then use a variety of aliases or addresses to cheat the system.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I use coupons, but not to that extreme. It seems like for people like that, it's not about what you are getting a good bargain on, it's about the fact that you are getting something. I clip coupons for things I know I'll use. A lot of times, manufacturers will give you a coupon for something new, something you wouldn't normally buy. I find that I get a lot of good deals using my shoppers card at my local grocery.

But the people on this show are no better, imho, than those people bidding on abandoned storage lockers.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I'll have to check this out. It does sound extreme. IMO it doesn't do any good to save a bunch of money buying stuff you don't need anyway.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
I watched this also. I agree on them not needing 400 boxes of pasta or 160 candy bars. It's almost like hoarding. Her hubby told her they didn't need all that pasta...

If a person wants to donate some of it ~~ good for them.

I also use coupons, but not for the sake of BUYING something. I agree with domergurl..

Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I watched it. They need psych help I think. It's one thing to save lots of money, but to spend 40+ hours/week couponing and then to buy THAT much food/drinks/etc? A little more than extreme. And really, I'm overweight, but even I was wondering what on earth that first couple needed 160 candy bars for!
Halloween? Did you check out that young woman, dressed Chic in that little jacket, or whatever you women call it? In the trash cans!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
I seen it too- thought all the same thing- hoarding. And who in the heck is going to use thousands of tooth brushes to that many boxes of pasta. She claims she rotates everything- but the shelf life still won't last. I love coupons- and use them on regular purchased items along with new items. I never pay full price for a new item. EVER- just in case I might not like it.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
I'll check it out. I have nearly no income at present so any additional tips will help me. Any bulk items can be donated to local food banks to help others like me.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I do great with my coupons. I get many items free or close to free and get great deals on other items. I've had times where I've gotten close to $200 of groceries for $40 and other times when I've gotten $60 for less than $20. I get deals every week but won't buy things I'm not going to use just because of a coupon or deal.

Couponing is a great way to save money but going to the extreme like that first couple is ridiculous. Most of those drinks, pastas, etc will expire long before they'll be able to use them. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were going to donate the bulk of that stuff to a food pantry or homeless shelter but they're not. They just have rooms and rooms full of food and bottled juices. Why? To prove they can out-coupon anyone else? Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV