Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,526 times

Advertisements

I know it's a fairly old show ('01-'05) and I'm pretty sure it was an HBO show or something. I first watched it in '06, in order, and in a pretty short amount of time. It's absolutely fantastic.
I will admit, I'm pretty sure it gave me a bout of depression though. While it's good, it's runs along such a negative theme. That final episode... I don't think I've ever cried so hard! I was absolutely blubbering!!!
I'm about to start watching it again, but I think I'm going to take a little more time to finish the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,511,811 times
HBO

what's the neagtive theme??? dying is part of life. no one is immune. This country needs to change our view of death being a bad thing...it's why our healthcare is so expensive...everyone want to live as long as possible...at, it seems, at any costs.

BTW...hands down best series-finale that I've ever seen

Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
I know it's a fairly old show ('01-'05) and I'm pretty sure it was an HBO show or something. I first watched it in '06, in order, and in a pretty short amount of time. It's absolutely fantastic.
I will admit, I'm pretty sure it gave me a bout of depression though. While it's good, it's runs along such a negative theme. That final episode... I don't think I've ever cried so hard! I was absolutely blubbering!!!
I'm about to start watching it again, but I think I'm going to take a little more time to finish the series.
Just curious...are you young? The reason I'm asking is because, as one ages, the more one comes to grips with death. Teens, generally, can't even conceive of their own deaths.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,526 times
Well, I am younger. 25. I do think we waste a lot of money dragging out peoples lives. I would love to find an awesome article about "end of life treatment" that you'd probably like. I don't want to be a vegetable just because my family can't cope with letting me go. I don't want to suffer with expensive cancer treatments or whatnot. I accept death as a natural part of life. But I still see it as a negative thing. You can't deny that it is still emotionally hard to take when it comes to loved ones. As much as death is a part of life and something we all must face, it doesn't make it any easier. It's so tough because we can't even imagine what it's like to die, or what happens to us (if anything) after death.
I used the term "negative theme" because I honestly couldn't think of a better way to put it. The show makes you think about death and in plenty of episodes it references/deals with pretty horrible deaths or situations. Death is by no means easy to think about. To think of death in a positive way isn't very common. But, not impossible. The show definitely has some good messages and I think it goes to show that you should cherish everything you have from the ability to smell a rose, to your loved ones, and even the crazy stuff that happens to you. It's all an adventure. But I say good luck as far as the show getting you a little down.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,338,470 times
SFU is my second all time favorite show! The writing is superb and the characters are REAL. I love tha show. My husband bought me the whole series...I recommend getting it...lots of interesting extras in the box set!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM

The price we pay for living so long is usually a harsher death. Back in the 1800's, people died working in the fields, or in childbirth. They did not live long enough for many cancers to invade the body, alzheimers, diabetes, etc. Many of these diseases are present in our society because we continie to push life past it's intended use.

I'm in my 50's. At some recent point (past few years) I came to realization that I only have so many springs, summers, autumns and winters left. I'm trying to simplify my life and get things in order. My 85yo dad has dimentia and lives with us. It's hard taking care of him...but not having things in order makes it so much harder.

You're 25...don't think about death too much. You've just entered the "summer" of your life...the best time....ENJOY IT! Me...I'm more than halfway through the "autumn" of my life. But you know what...I take some odd peaceful comfort knowing that this doesn't go on forever...at least here on earth.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,338,470 times
The death theme never bothered me...but like jfk, I'm pushing 50. I also worked in hospitals and ERs for many years. I have a cousin who is a funeral director and even he liked the show...I think that says a lot because I can't watch medical shows without cringing.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,004,791 times
I watched this via Netflix last year and it is absolutely fantastic. It is the only show I have watched were several months later, I still miss the characters.

The season finale and especially the closing montage is one of the best things to ever air on television.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 PM

258 posts, read 450,981 times
For a couple years now I have had the collectors edition box set with all seasons of this show sitting on my bookshelf still in shrink wrap! I've been debating opening it once I have the time to watch it little by little or if I should just gift it to someone... Seeing these reviews is making me lean toward the former!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,004,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnella View Post
For a couple years now I have had the collectors edition box set with all seasons of this show sitting on my bookshelf still in shrink wrap! I've been debating opening it once I have the time to watch it little by little or if I should just gift it to someone... Seeing these reviews is making me lean toward the former!

You can gift it to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV