Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times

Advertisements

It also depends on your DVR. If you go into "timers" you can edit how long the DVR records both before and after the show - I usually have it start a minute before the scheduled time, and then end 3 minutes after.

My AT&T UVerse DVR was great at this - I'd get the whole show, even if I was recording consecutive shows (like a marathon of shows). I'd get the whole show, with every second of the beginning and ending.

However, my Dish network DVR - even though it has a huge capacity - isn't as smart. When I recorded the Breaking Bad marathon a few months back, for example, I'd get the beginning of episode 21 at the end of my recording of episode 20. So, if I went directly to episode 21, I'd miss the first minute or two of the episode. Then, I'd have to go back to the end of episode 20 and fast forward to the end to catch the beginning of episode 21. (My UVerse DVR would have the extra minute at the end of episode 20, but would also have all of episode 21, even if it was a repeat of the over-run at the end of episode 20)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I hate when the shows start 5 minutes prior to the hour without the schedule saying so. I turn on a show at exactly the hour and I've missed the most important part setting up the storyline.
It seems different networks start and end at different times. Very frustrating when switching stations and you have to watch end of a show you do not like or miss the beginning of your show.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,723,638 times
Blame TBS. They figured out they could keep people from changing channels by starting every show at :05 or :35

Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Blame TBS. They figured out they could keep people from changing channels by starting every show at :05 or :35
How does that work? There's still commercials and I would change the channel at the commercial.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I've programmed my DVR to start a minute early and end three minutes later for just that reason.
It is particularly irksome with the reality shows - they seem to always go late causing the shows I actually watch to start later than scheduled.
This is what we do too.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 PM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
I don't have to record shows for this to annoy me. If I'm watching a show on a different channel than the next show I watch, there's that dilemma about whether I switch channels before the first show has ended. It would serve them all right if we watched everything on demand.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
I have Directv and I have no idea if I can set it to start a minute before a show or end a minute after the show. I have lost beginnings and ends of shows because of their "off" time starting. I should look into whether or not I can set the time manually to record.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I have Directv and I have no idea if I can set it to start a minute before a show or end a minute after the show. I have lost beginnings and ends of shows because of their "off" time starting. I should look into whether or not I can set the time manually to record.
There is! (I had to google it, because I got tired of the end of Murder in the First being cut off!)

I usually just click the red "R" button to record a show, but you can get to other options. On the guide, highlight the show you want to record, and click on it. A menu will appear on the left side: record once, record series, etc. Click on the record option you want. Another menu will appear in the middle. "Keep until: "Disc is full, I delete it" Start : Stop: My defaults are "on-time" for that, but you can click it and adjust it to start early, end late, etc.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV