Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:47 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,406,638 times

Advertisements

I did not like this. It was just OK for awhile, then they meet the racist white gang and it turned really stupid. Won't be watching again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 01:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,616,441 times
I think in some ways this is probably closer to what an advanced alien invasion would be like. Meaning we lose and our only shot to "win" is to just make occupation too expensive for the advanced civilization. I think, usually, TV and even print science fiction is unwilling to "go there."

However in other ways some elements of it seemed a tad corny or disappointing. Their lives and outlooks at times seemed too unchanged considering what's happened. Also...

Spoiler
Although it's understandable the aliens right now are pretty much only ciphers or "monsters" it's not entirely satisfying. Their motivation right now feels not only unclear, but also feels nearly beside the point. Granted "Space:Above and Beyond" I thought did pretty well with that, but they were a bit more committed to the idea that being killed by weird freaky aliens of unclear motivations is unnerving. Whether their motivation mattered was a subject for debate in S:AB, but the only debate here seemed to be on what information is useful for killing the aliens. At times this even felt more like kids being attacked by monsters rather than a true analogy to say the American Indians being invaded by Europeans. Or even an analogy of orangutan habitats destroyed by humans. Although historical analogies themselves might be flawed as these beings are not humans. That's why the Wylie characters analogies to human history started sounding a bit hollow to me. Particularly as the more plausible analogy, that humans have become the "backward" indigenous people invaded by "civilization", he dismisses more or less because "it's depressing."

Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM

1,543 posts, read 3,001,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I did not like this. It was just OK for awhile, then they meet the racist white gang and it turned really stupid. Won't be watching again.
My exact sentiment. When they came on I was show over, I am going to bed.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,320,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I gave it a dose of the "OFF"! It's a total stinkbomb! Who the hell wants to see the aftermath!? I want to see the invasion! The show starts of with the aftermath and never shows the invasion that got them to that point to begin with! I would expect that they could at least sacrifice the first 15 minutes of this series to show that at least. I suppose they'll do snippets of that in flashback sequences. BOOOoooRIING!!!!!
I've long been thinking of trying a fanfic which is the day after Independence day. When everyone realizes the cities are gone, the infastructure is gone, most of the hospitals and systems they were used to and that can of food that looked like it should be thrown out is now a prized possession. I hope this is somewhere it can be seen if you don't get tnt since I have been looking way forward to this one. Spielberg doesn't do junk either.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,320,854 times
Is it or will it be available if you don't get tnt?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,033,571 times
I'll watch one more episode, maybe. If I miss it, don't think it will bother me.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 PM

188 posts, read 939,827 times
They had some great actors in this series however to me it was like a remake of the 1970's "V", I doubt if I'll be watching any more episodes.

It could have been a lot better, I'm a huge fan of Noah Wyle and Will Patton and conside this a huge loss in their acting careers.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 PM

519 posts, read 606,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Is it or will it be available if you don't get tnt?
You can get it on iTunes.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,417,578 times
Movie plot: We go back to the Stone Age. Happy F--ing Day!
Spoiler

Last edited by Reptoid Humidian; 06-21-2011 at 12:35 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,248,470 times
God this show sucked... boring, camera work was 1970's style... as another poster put it, a remake of V which was another joke....

And the announcements before every commercial about what was going to happen next

"on the next exciting episode" yeah right

Watched it for maybe an hour and changed channels..

I'll pass...

Firefly is 1,000% better (and no annoying hyped announcements between segments to boot)

Last edited by plwhit; 06-21-2011 at 12:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV